Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 11:32 am Last visit was: Sun May 05, 2024 11:32 am

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close on 21 June 2024 (extended deadline). More info here.

Deal or No Deal will return for a new series later in 2024.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 13 posts ] 

hogwild94

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:47 pm    Author: hogwild94    Post subject: The first male QM winner: analysed
Global Moderator

Warnings: 0
Do we need a male 250k winner?

RMF1254 wrote:
Noel thinks we do, of course. :roll:

And so, for that matter, do the likes of Mark, as illustrated by the comments on Alphonso's game. ;)

However, KP argues that if it happened, it would remove one crucial "first" and viewing figures - which haven't surpassed 1.5m very often following Suzanne's game - would fall further...

RMF makes some very good points, but I'd like to expand on this a bit further, if I may.

While it's true that no man has ever won the 250k, only four women have too, and considering over 1900 people have played the game, that is not a lot.

Here's how I see it: the men who do have the 250k in their box either wipe out all the backup, pretty much forcing them to deal, or get offered a sum of money that means a lot to them and take it. And the ones who are prepared to go for it (Morris, Gurpal, Rich) don't have it.

I maintain that recklessly going all the way is not the way to win 250k. The way to win it is by making careful, well played financial decisions, like Tegen did, for example.

Also, you have to select the 250k at random, or leave it to the end and swap for it. I don't know what the odds are on either of those, but they must be quite long.

Winning 250k on DOND is not easy, unless you get a hefty board like Suzanne, but it can be done. We just need a combo of a male prepared to go for it, the 250k in his box, some of the backup sums to remain in play long enough, and, most importantly of all, offers that are arguable either way, and not screaming to be dealt.

Any other thoughts will be welcome. :smt023

(No ranting intended, BTW.)

Check out SLUDGE for original, non-cover rock music!

Mark

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:51 pm    Author: Mark    Post subject: Re: The first male QM winner: analysed

Yes we do... if the first player who had the £250,000 in his game, Daz who played on 11th February 2006 had said NO deal 6 times, we would still not be waiting for it to happen.

psychokiller

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 6:02 pm    Author: psychokiller    Post subject: Re: The first male QM winner: analysed

Mark wrote:
Yes we do... if the first player who had the £250,000 in his game, Daz who played on 11th February 2006 had said NO deal 6 times, we would still not be waiting for it to happen.

Which would have involved turning down £45,000 on a reckless gamble with a good chance of losing the whole lot if the £250,000 had not been in the box and had been picked during the next round. At the time of the deal,taking the offer was the no-brainer option.

BankerSpanker

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 6:44 pm    Author: BankerSpanker    Post subject: Re: The first male QM winner: analysed

We also need the first MQM so Noel can shut up about it! :P

Fan of classic rock and metal

hevelius

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:37 pm    Author: hevelius    Post subject: Re: The first male QM winner: analysed

:notworthy: the first male QM will truly deserve the accolade,title,status.after sooooo many
yrs,and sooooo many males who have tried,the lucky guy will truly make a name for himself.yes,he may get a great board,like Suzannes,or be a huge risk taker,like Gurpal,but to pull it off would be awesome...and great tv!!....i hope he has BELIEF,a STORY,and there is a sense of destiny at play.of course that first male QM could already have been filmed....but if not....

KP

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:02 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: The first male QM winner: analysed
International Forums Moderator

Jackpot wins come one of three ways:
* An obliviously single-minded Wakeyist brings it to the table (hasn't happened yet, though at least four have come within a swap of doing so)
* The Banker underestimates a player who goes on to leave the £250k and a big kicker at the end (Suzanne, arguably Tegen)
* The Banker plays for the cameras and basically hands it on a plate to the player (Laura, Alice)

I'm not sure which of those three will see a male player win £250k, but I'm confident that we'll get one. Leaning towards the deux ex machina when the producers finally get sick of the "when will a bloke win it?" storyline - it'll probably be a firefighter, or someone with an armed forces background, who is the beneficiary.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:13 pm    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: The first male QM winner: analysed

Personally, i would just like to see a 'true won' £250k winner more than anything (i.e. one that doesn't win it recklessly or is driven to the end thanks to stingy offers). Because Laura was offered a stingy £45k at 2-box, Alice was given a pretty easy banker's gamble, Suzanne was forced to 5-box by terrible offers and then driven on by the strength of her board and Tegen's 2-box offer was a bit low as well

I would also like to see it won by a standout character on the wings, because most of the young women who have won it so far probably would've been forgotten about pretty quickly if it wasn't for there win (Although Tegen did have quite a strong backstory)

jamesfish

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:09 am    Author: jamesfish    Post subject: Re: The first male QM winner: analysed

I think we may have found him, as a video going up on www.dealornodeal.co.uk recently has the title have we found our first male quarter millionaire, and by the looks of it, I think it could be Andy, and the banker tweeted someone wins £250,000 during the Olympics, and he would fit that description I think, just expect fireworks in the Dream Factory within the next week to week and a half.

psychokiller

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:36 pm    Author: psychokiller    Post subject: Re: The first male QM winner: analysed

jamesfish wrote:
I think we may have found him, as a video going up on http://www.dealornodeal.co.uk recently has the title have we found our first male quarter millionaire, and by the looks of it, I think it could be Andy, and the banker tweeted someone wins £250,000 during the Olympics, and he would fit that description I think, just expect fireworks in the Dream Factory within the next week to week and a half.

It tells us nothing.

Nothing in any of those clips suggest it has been won, the shot that 'got' a number of people was the final one of Noel... it was from Tegen's game.

I may come to eat my words, but I suggest dismissing the video as nothing but a wind-up.

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:40 pm    Author: Mark    Post subject: Re: The first male QM winner: analysed

If it is won by a male then oh yes !

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:07 pm    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: The first male QM winner: analysed

I dismiss the video as a windup. It's all BS until it actually happens. Personally, I think the producers are lying to the viewers once again, as they're desperate for ratings. The only thing worse than that is paying people to watch the show, and I think we're far from having that ever happen.

KP

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:59 am    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: The first male QM winner: analysed
International Forums Moderator

KP wrote:
Jackpot wins come one of three ways:
* An obliviously single-minded Wakeyist brings it to the table (hasn't happened yet, though at least four have come within a swap of doing so)
* The Banker underestimates a player who goes on to leave the £250k and a big kicker at the end (Suzanne, arguably Tegen)
* The Banker plays for the cameras and basically hands it on a plate to the player (Laura, Alice)

I'm not sure which of those three will see a male player win £250k, but I'm confident that we'll get one. Leaning towards the deux ex machina when the producers finally get sick of the "when will a bloke win it?" storyline - it'll probably be a firefighter, or someone with an armed forces background, who is the beneficiary.

Reposted because: a) it's more relevant now #5 has turned out to be female too; b) we now have a fourth way of winning £250k:

* An emotional player who can't decide when to stop ultimately ends up never doing so (Nong)

Am I still cynical enough to think it'll be a soldier or firefighter who gets a "soft" £250k win? Quite possibly.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

James1978

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:23 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: The first male QM winner: analysed

How about also adding the same thing but for women over the age of 25? ;-)

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

[ 13 posts ] 
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]