Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 9:01 pm Last visit was: Sat May 18, 2024 9:01 pm

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close on 21 June 2024 (extended deadline). More info here.

Deal or No Deal will return for a new series later in 2024.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 12 posts ] 

Go on and lose or deal and miss out?
Go on and lose 80%  80%  [ 4 ]
Deal and miss out 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 5

holly

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:07 pm    Author: holly    Post subject: Go on and lose or deal and miss out?

Warnings: 0
So what would you rather do? I have put go on and lose because I would be more gutted if I did'nt give my one chance my best shot.

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:10 pm    Author: Mark    Post subject: Re: Go on and lose or deal and miss out?

No prizes for guessing what option I went for.

James1978

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:56 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: Go on and lose or deal and miss out?

Can't answer either way becuase it depends on the offers and box values involved. :)

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

Simon F

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:26 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: Go on and lose or deal and miss out?

It's an ambiguous question which depends on a few things. The state of the board, the generosity of the offer, the financial situation of the player.

holly

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:36 pm    Author: holly    Post subject: Re: Go on and lose or deal and miss out?

Simon F wrote:
It's an ambiguous question which depends on a few things. The state of the board, the generosity of the offer, the financial situation of the player.

Ok well what would you do on a 5 box like Andria's today?

Simon F

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:52 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: Go on and lose or deal and miss out?

When the game is like today's where the offers never really take off and gamble is worth the risk (about 7 to 1 if you keep the £50k in play to 2-box) , I'd have no dealt at 5-box today.

hevelius

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:56 pm    Author: hevelius    Post subject: Re: Go on and lose or deal and miss out?

:) definetly go on and lose....its such an amazing,chance of a lifetime opportunity,
that i woud be COMPELLED to do so.having been twice contacted at halloween,and
believing that i have a story of fate/things happen for a reason....i would take my
BELIEF with me to the crazy chair.if i went away with a penny...well that would
have been my destiny all along.the chance to play the game after having waited
so very long would be a dream come true in itself....and the contestants that i
admire as much as the 250k winners are the likes of Corrine,and Gurpal.

oldbus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:17 pm    Author: oldbus    Post subject: Re: Go on and lose or deal and miss out?

For me, it would definitely depend on the state of the board.

KP

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:47 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: Go on and lose or deal and miss out?
International Forums Moderator

Based on simple principles - and I think that's all you can do in the absence of any numerical content here - I'd rather go too soon than too late.

Reasons?
1) Going too far tends to end in blue wins. Going too soon tends to end in five-figure wins.
2) I'd have far more regrets at succumbing to the pressure to gamble than I would at being a scaredy-cat.

In practice, though, I'd only have regrets at all if it were a marginal decision. If the decisions were clear-cut either way, no regrets, because I'd never have done anything different.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

"The Banker"

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:44 pm    Author: "The Banker"    Post subject: Re: Go on and lose or deal and miss out?

Simon F wrote:

This. It really does depend on the board/offers, therefore I can't really answer.

KP makes a very good point.

RMF1254

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:36 pm    Author: RMF1254    Post subject: Re: Go on and lose or deal and miss out?

I don't think I'm the only one who thinks you should have put in a third option along the lines of "not sure" or "it depends", Holly... :twisted: ;)

Mark

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:57 pm    Author: Mark    Post subject: Re: Go on and lose or deal and miss out?

Well as soon as I saw this thread and the two choices, my mind was made up within one second ;)

[ 12 posts ] 
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]