Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 12:00 am Last visit was: Sun May 19, 2024 12:00 am

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close on 21 June 2024 (extended deadline). More info here.

Deal or No Deal will return for a new series later in 2024.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Skyline

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:47 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Would you take an offer at 14-box if it was high enough?
Forum Games Moderator

Warnings: 0

Mark

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:48 pm    Author: Mark    Post subject: Re: Would you take an offer at 14-box if it was high enough?

No, as most times (not all the time) I go all the way to the end.

Skyline

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:51 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: Would you take an offer at 14-box if it was high enough?
Forum Games Moderator

Pray tell Mark, is there any offer you would take, turning your hindsight cap off?

Mark

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:56 pm    Author: Mark    Post subject: Re: Would you take an offer at 14-box if it was high enough?

Well if there was only one or two of the power five left, then yes maybe.

Skyline

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:01 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: Would you take an offer at 14-box if it was high enough?
Forum Games Moderator

Me too, provided the board was really dangerous.

hogwild94

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:15 pm    Author: hogwild94    Post subject: Re: Would you take an offer at 14-box if it was high enough?
Global Moderator

Only if it's a very, very generous offer. I'd usually wait until 8-box to consider dealing.

Check out SLUDGE for original, non-cover rock music!

KP

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:07 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: Would you take an offer at 14-box if it was high enough?
International Forums Moderator

I would absolutely be ready to take a 14-box Deal if one came along that met my valuation of the board. Furthermore, if it was a marginal call, I'd Deal in order to claim the distinction of being the first, and because I'd pay money to see Noel's response anyway.

Rarely do we see 14-box Deals that meet my valuation of the board, though. But I absolutely have nothing in principle against them.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

norwichdonder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:59 am    Author: norwichdonder    Post subject: Re: Would you take an offer at 14-box if it was high enough?

KP wrote:
Rarely do we see 14-box Deals that meet my valuation of the board, though. But I absolutely have nothing in principle against them.

Simply because the production team have proved in 6 years to be so adept at profiling the players. A cautious player would never get a good valuation at 14 box, usually because by that point they've taken out at least one of the big red numbers. If they've been lucky enough to avoid that scenario, the offer may be fair but the sheer number of high reds (not to mention peer/noel pressure) would drive even the most cautious player onto 11 box. Reckless players maybe would get a fair value and it would be those with nothing lose who would stand the best chance of bluffing to get a good deal at 14box.

Of course what we would really like to see(if only to drive Mark up the wall) would be an offer and deal at 17box. I have a feeling though that the show would be dropped somehow and a new player swapped in with some clever excuse. Could they swap out such a player and just claim ill health on that player? We would then never know the show existed?

James1978

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:10 am    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: Would you take an offer at 14-box if it was high enough?

Yes, and also deal a first offer if it was good enough too.

I can think of lots of 2nd offers I'd have taken in 2006/7 but hardly any since 2008!

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

holly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:34 pm    Author: holly    Post subject: Re: Would you take an offer at 14-box if it was high enough?

I would probably wait until 8 box at the very least so no.

BankerSpanker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:59 pm    Author: BankerSpanker    Post subject: Re: Would you take an offer at 14-box if it was high enough?

If the offer was about 75-80% of the mean, then I might consider it.

I would've taken £15k at 14-box in Danielle's game.

Fan of classic rock and metal

Simon F

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:23 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: Would you take an offer at 14-box if it was high enough?

I probably would but then if the offer was that good and the strength of the board merited it, it might be worth going on assuming the banker would be as generous at 11-box.

Skyline

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:08 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: Would you take an offer at 14-box if it was high enough?
Forum Games Moderator

That reminds me... KP should put his ancient signature back up. :-D

rico7

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:00 am    Author: rico7    Post subject: Re: Would you take an offer at 14-box if it was high enough?

Earlier this month Rich had a 14 box offer of £25,000 having declined £20,000 as his first offer. As it turned out there was a lot more money in the game for him but only because the boxes worked out really well for him. I would never want to go at the 1st offer, and would be very reluctant to go at the second, but I think £25,000 would get a lot of people dealing!

Mark

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:16 am    Author: Mark    Post subject: Re: Would you take an offer at 14-box if it was high enough?

My biggest pet hate about the show is when players deal at the third offer. (Way too soon!). Unless it's a banker spanking or nearly then that is OK.

Simon F

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:16 am    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: Would you take an offer at 14-box if it was high enough?

Mark wrote:
My biggest pet hate about the show is when players deal at the third offer. (Way too soon!). Unless it's a banker spanking or nearly then that is OK.

It depends on what you want to see from a viewing experience. For myself, the statistical logical part of me is always going to err on the side of caution when the offer is good enough to deal but I have to admit, there is a part of me that every now and again enjoys seeing a player take a calculated gamble (i.e. not a Corrine or Rich-type no-deal). Having seen 2 power-5 wins live, I'd have to admit that I wouldn't have had the courage to take Dale's or £75k Justin's gambles but seeing them live was certainly a buzz (although had they both gone wrong, I'm not I'd have the same opinion - which I guess like you is somewhat judging decisions based on their outcome not the sensibility of the gamble)

BrianR

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:57 pm    Author: BrianR    Post subject: Re: Would you take an offer at 14-box if it was high enough?

Obviously the producers dont want anyone dealing first or second offer as it would ruin the show.

However if the players target is 20K out of the game before they say deal, getting an offer of £14000 - £15000 1st or 2nd must be mighty tempting.

I forgot whose game it was, but when the player said recently you have a 1 in 22 chance of having a quarter million in your box, at the opening of the game, is right. And that must be a bigger tempter if the longer you have it the further the game goes.

Everyone of course has a different set of financial circumstances and needs.

That's what I suppose makes each game as fascinating as they are.

Skyline

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:01 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: Would you take an offer at 14-box if it was high enough?
Forum Games Moderator

James1978 wrote:

YOU'D DEAL AFTER JUST ONE ROUND? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

James1978

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:38 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: Would you take an offer at 14-box if it was high enough?

Skyline wrote:
James1978 wrote:

YOU'D DEAL AFTER JUST ONE ROUND? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

If the offer was high enough yes. I don't think I have actually seen one that I'd deal on the show though (I was tempted by Howard's £18k with £75k and £15k gone but maybe that's just hindsight goggles) so no need to worry!! :)

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:48 pm    Author: Mark    Post subject: Re: Would you take an offer at 14-box if it was high enough?

If you did then it would be a big :smt018 :smt018 :smt018 ;)

Hopefully no one will ever deal at the first or second offer. Also hopefully no more third round deals.

[ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]