Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 12:00 am Last visit was: Sun May 19, 2024 12:00 am

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close on 21 June 2024 (extended deadline). More info here.

Deal or No Deal will return for a new series later in 2024.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 7 posts ] 

hogwild94

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:12 am    Author: hogwild94    Post subject: hogwild94's Review of the Series Part 2 - The Best Shows
Global Moderator

Warnings: 0
OK, Part 2 of my three-part series review.

In this section, I will be picking out my favourite (and, in some cases, least favourite) games of the series month by month. These are pure personal opinion, and may not be in line with the general consensus on here, but you are welcome to disagree.

Note that none of my least favourite shows will be based on what the player does, as I always respect the player's decision no matter how bad for the board it may have been. You can use that for picking out if you want.

Also, not every month has a worst game, as it's hard for me to think of one that I didn't like that much.

Anyway, here are my best (and in some cases worst) shows of each month:

August:
Best game: Kevin. Got the series off to a great start, and best game of a short month of shows for Deal.

September:
Best game: Ian. Not many games worth picking that month, but Ian's stood out for me for the humour of his girlfriend dropping him. My pick for a dour month for the show.

October:
Best game: Marshall. Yes, an odd choice, but Marshall's game I enjoyed because of the humour involved (the 1p kiss with Steve, and newbie Faye's obsession with bananas), not to mention it was the first Power 5 win of the series.
Worst game: Lilly. Yes, my first worst game. Lilly's game gets my vote for the fact that the Banker caught her out with a three-box offer. I don't like mid-round offers, especially as it can often rob players of OPWs. Don't get me wrong, I still respect her decision; it's the fact that offer was made in the first place that annoys me.

November:
Best game: Bill. Another tough month to pick for. But Bill's game gets my pick for some good comedy, and the fact that the proveout went almost perfectly for him.

December:
Best game: Ant. A game that is often forgotten due to it being over Christmas, but Ant's game came from nowhere, and caught everyone by surprise. One of the most deserving, and overlooked, 75k wins ever.

January:
Best game: Dale. Easy choice for me. Rewatching Dale's game the other day just reminded me of how tough a time this was for the show, and how Dale's game just gave the show just what it needed. Need I say more.
Worst game: Tracey. Talk about goading her into gambling when she clearly didn't want to. I am so glad Tony resisted the temptation to gamble to when the boxes reappeared in June. I would not be at all surprised to see Tracey's game in the Hall of Fame at some point.

February:
Best game: Dylan. Often overlooked, Dylan's game is definitely worthy of recognition. He was easily one of the more confident post-Dale players. Despite the extra offer, he resisted the mind games and still got a neat sum out of the game.
Worst game: Darrel. Darrel's game started light-hearted, but when it fell apart, there was no real recovery. And that gamble at the end just made it even worse. At least he is now remembered for something. And I liked him, so it pains me to put it here too.

March:
Best game: Franca. Franca was definitely one of the characters of the series, and her game definitely goes down as an all-time classic. 30k was a very easy deal for me, and one of the biggest box profits of all time. Archie comes a very close second.

April:
Best game: Paul. Paul's game is often overlooked, seeing as it was just under a week before Sophie's, but I enjoyed Paul's more, seeing as it followed on from a frustrating couple of weeks, and the fact the Banker was so mean to him, and the player got the last laugh for once.
Worst game: Natalie. Natalie's game is basically a trainwreck that became an OPW thanks to an extra offer. I liked Natalie when she was on the wings, and I still respect her for taking that offer (as I always respect the decision), but the twist that allowed her to get the offer just annoys me. At least with Anthony's game there was a chance of things going wrong.

May:
Best game: Suzanne. I think it would be a crime to not put Suzanne down here! But special mention to Al and Kerry-Anne, both of who also had the courage to go for the QM, and it didn't work out. And doing the commentary for Kerry-Anne's game was a great experience!

June:
Best game: Anthony. Yes, five times less than Sam's win, but Anthony's felt much better, seeing as he made some brave no deals, and it paid off. And his condition and the presence of his brother just made it feel so great when it paid off.
Worst game: Zoleika. I must thank BankerSpanker for this, as it wasn't my idea. But Zoleika's game is considered by many to be boring. TBH, low money games are often boring (unless it's someone like Clive or Tomas playing).

July:
Best game: Micole. Easy pick here. Many were surprised about her win, seeing as she played so early. But Mark S (the other deaf chap, who played in Jan '08) played on his 14th, and he had a similarly good game.
Worst game: Em. A depressing 1p win made even worse by another just under a week later. Em was a nice girl, but her game just wasn't nice to her at all. Poor girl.

So, that's my picks. Feel free to leave your own. The final chapter will be up soon. :smt023

Check out SLUDGE for original, non-cover rock music!

DanS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:06 pm    Author: DanS    Post subject: Re: hogwild94's Review of the Series Part 2 - The Best Shows

I don't want to sound harsh here, but I think the reason people found Zoleika's game boring is because she was a boring player and she would have completely capitulated without her sister in the audience.

I've only started watching regularly again since May, so I can't really disagree with your answers. I'd have Fred as the best game of July though for the reasons I stated in the "Game of the Month" thread. I'd also give worst game of May to Rob.

KP

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:34 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: hogwild94's Review of the Series Part 2 - The Best Shows
International Forums Moderator

Marshall's was a forgotten classic - including by me it must be said. Very good play on both sides, leading to a big-money five-box Deal, and then a stunning proveout that threw Noel's spin right back in his face. There's half a case for making it the game of the season.

Speaking of spin, Lilly's game felt like it could have been scripted to make the players in the twist week take risks that were wrong for them. Horrible game, even with the above-average win - Endemol can hardly afford any games like that anymore.

So, of course, they had another one in January. Final word on Tracey's game was from Billy: "It was a bit like a bad fanscript of Deal or No Deal put to film, wasn't it?"

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

unclekevo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:40 pm    Author: unclekevo    Post subject: Re: hogwild94's Review of the Series Part 2 - The Best Shows

I would have Jayne's game as Best Of August as it was thoroughly entertaining, Rob's as Worst of May, Zolieka/Jonny as Worst of June and I'm not sure if this is right but what month was Debs' game? If it was April I really liked her game even if she could have had the big one.

hogwild94

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:55 pm    Author: hogwild94    Post subject: Re: hogwild94's Review of the Series Part 2 - The Best Shows
Global Moderator

unclekevo wrote:
I would have Jayne's game as Best Of August as it was thoroughly entertaining, Rob's as Worst of May, Zolieka/Jonny as Worst of June and I'm not sure if this is right but what month was Debs' game? If it was April I really liked her game even if she could have had the big one.

Debs's game was in May, just over a week before Suzanne's.

I expect a lot of people will put Rob's game as the worst of May. But, as a fellow AS sufferer, I sympathise with him; plus I always respect the deals, so I didn't put it down.

KP

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:53 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: hogwild94's Review of the Series Part 2 - The Best Shows
International Forums Moderator

Rob's was a worst-game-of-the-season contender not because of the decisions but because of how they were handled. It was disgraceful to do the hypo-swap too, because it removed the 50% chance of a somewhat happy ending (with the swap, it could be spun either way as "you blew £250k", and sure enough it was).

To be honest, I might have gone at £8k myself - I'd want £15k-ish on the £250k/four blues five-box, and you weren't likely to get much better than that on his board, so with the 37.5% chance of taking it out and being left to chase a mid-red... it was absolutely the right decision for a defensive player, and Rob was absolutely within his right to be defensive. It's the sort of offer most players reject even if they shouldn't.

Would Kerry-Anne have seen sense in her game if it weren't for Rob's game, and the offensive way it was spun, beforehand? I can't say no...

(Full disclosure: I am also on the autistic spectrum.)

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

hogwild94

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:04 pm    Author: hogwild94    Post subject: Re: hogwild94's Review of the Series Part 2 - The Best Shows
Global Moderator

KP wrote:
Rob's was a worst-game-of-the-season contender not because of the decisions but because of how they were handled. It was disgraceful to do the hypo-swap too, because it removed the 50% chance of a somewhat happy ending (with the swap, it could be spun either way as "you blew £250k", and sure enough it was).)

I totally agree. If Rob hadn't hypo-swapped, then we'd have had a reasonably happy-ending (despite the obvious pain of that he could've had 75k). At least Noel hasn't mentioned his game that much since.

[ 7 posts ] 
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]