Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 3:14 am Last visit was: Sun May 19, 2024 3:14 am

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close on 21 June 2024 (extended deadline). More info here.

Deal or No Deal will return for a new series later in 2024.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 10 posts ] 

BankerSpanker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:37 pm    Author: BankerSpanker    Post subject: 40% chance of taking out £250k

Warnings: 0
I really wish Noel, the Banker and all the contestants would shut up about this. Ever since it got mentioned last week everyone keeps banging on about it. When will it ever stop?! :x

Fan of classic rock and metal

h2005

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:03 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 40% chance of taking out £250k
Administrator & Global Moderator

Are you annoyed at the mere mention of it, or the fact that it's apparently actually 37.5%?

hogwild94

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:04 pm    Author: hogwild94    Post subject: Re: 40% chance of taking out £250k
Global Moderator

Surely, there's a 12.5% chance of any of the eight amounts going? But then, what do I know about stats? :lol:

Check out SLUDGE for original, non-cover rock music!

KP

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:11 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 40% chance of taking out £250k
International Forums Moderator

And then repeat for three boxes to make the 37.5% h2005 refers to.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

h2005

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:23 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 40% chance of taking out £250k
Administrator & Global Moderator

hogwild94 wrote:
Surely, there's a 12.5% chance of any of the eight amounts going? But then, what do I know about stats? :lol:

I also used to think it's 12.5% (i.e. 1 in 8 ). But of course you have to bear in mind it's a 3-box round, so you times it by 3 (like KP said).

I'm assuming therefore that the chances of taking out any one value in the first round is 22.7%. (With round 2, 21.4%; round 3, 27.3%; round 4, 37.5%; round 5, 60%). Therefore when it's 1-box-at-a-time from 5-box, I assume the chances are 20%, 25%, and 33.3% as the round progresses.

I'm guessing someone will correct me fairly swiftly if I'm wrong. :oops:

KP

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:31 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 40% chance of taking out £250k

All correct. ;)

In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

the wellser

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:02 pm    Author: the wellser    Post subject: Re: 40% chance of taking out £250k

Didn't anyone else think it was a bit mean of Boo to except Andrews gift of the £100, after she'd just won over £10,000. She should have just said 'Don't be silly'.

I just wanted to say it here as it's slightly related and may have got lost i the Boo thread.

norwichdonder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:57 am    Author: norwichdonder    Post subject: Re: 40% chance of taking out £250k

the wellser wrote:
Didn't anyone else think it was a bit mean of Boo to except Andrews gift of the £100, after she'd just won over £10,000. She should have just said 'Don't be silly'.

I just wanted to say it here as it's slightly related and may have got lost i the Boo thread.

I missed that but yes it does seem a bit OTT. But surely after the cameras were turned off she'd say don't worry about it. £100 would be blown in the bar after just a couple of rounds anyway. Do some people leave DOND actually in debt due to paying their own expenses while at the hotel?

As to the odds I should have paid more attention in maths. Now taking Boos game, she chose the £15k box (at random as we are always reminded, but did she have a 1 in 22 chance of picking it or did someone else(if so how many) got to pick a box before her?) . Anyway she got all the way to 3 box with the £250k not being opened on the wings. What are the odds of that versus having chosen the £250k randomly at the start. Huge Im expecting. It would be interesting to know if they have a custom piece of software that works out these exact odds.

As to Mr 40% I think that will be around for a long time to come.

KP

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:44 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 40% chance of taking out £250k

It's always 1 in 22 of picking any box at any time. If, say, she chose fourth, there is now a 1 in 19 chance of picking that given box - but there is a 3 in 22 chance that it's already been chosen by one of the other three. So the probability of choosing that box is (19/22 * 1/19), which easily cancels to 1/22.

What was the probability of keeping £250k to 3-box? 3/22. Again, we don't know any better. This, by the way, is why the swap is not analogous to the Monty Hall Problem.

cfd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:44 pm    Author: cfd    Post subject: Re: 40% chance of taking out £250k

I love the Monty Hall problem.

I have a friend who outright refuses to accept that you should swap no matter how many different ways i've explained it to him lol

[ 10 posts ] 
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]