Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 12:48 am Last visit was: Sun May 19, 2024 12:48 am

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close on 21 June 2024 (extended deadline). More info here.

Deal or No Deal will return for a new series later in 2024.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 13 posts ] 

hogwild94

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:47 pm    Author: hogwild94    Post subject: Pitch invasions
Global Moderator

Warnings: 0
Don't see why it's not worth discussing this. I have no problem with them, as it's good to see the players expressing happiness for each other, but others think they are getting out of control. Especially as they've been doing them for modest wins, but didn't do it in Sam's game, when they actually had good reason.

Any other thoughts will be welcome! :smt023

Check out SLUDGE for original, non-cover rock music!

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:49 pm    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject: Re: Pitch invasions

Well it doesn't really bother me as such, but they do seem to be getting rather frequent.

Simon F

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:53 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: Pitch invasions

I think a £10k box win OPW is about as low an amount to be won that it's just about acceptable.

Of course, as Noel said, it could be argued that if the group of contestants is particularly close, then it's more likely to happen.

h2005

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:06 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Pitch invasions
Administrator & Global Moderator

I think there should be pitch invasions whenever a box is opened. It'd be like a massive game of rugby then.

Failing that, they should probably be reserved for Power 5 box wins, to make them more special. Doing them for lower wins tends to take the effect away as they do it so often. On the other hand, it's good to see the contestants greatly valuing the lower sums of money.

the wellser

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:10 pm    Author: the wellser    Post subject: Re: Pitch invasions

Surely it's all to do with how the win feels, rather than what the win is. How much it means to the player, who the game has gone and what the player means to the others.

£10,000 in the context of the show might not be massive money, but if you just given or had won £10,000 in your own life it would be a really something special.

If you say these invasions must only occur when it's a big win, it would be unnatural.

Todays reaction is surely more something to celebrate than someone left with £20,000 and £35,000 left at the end.

DanS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:24 pm    Author: DanS    Post subject: Re: Pitch invasions

I personally loathe them.

Pitch invasions used to be a great moment when something tremendous has happened (usually a top 2 victory) and it'd add to that impact about just how great that win was, and how incredibly jubilant everyone was about it.

But when they're used more frequently and over "lesser" wins per se, it takes that impact away, and the bigger wins to me feel less special. Sam's massive win didn't feel special at all to me. It felt run of the mill, and that to me was incredibly disappointing.

Skyline

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:45 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: Pitch invasions
Forum Games Moderator

It shows how all the contestants are BEST FRIENDS 4 LYF! Ain't that ducky? :smt056 :smt052 :smt035 :girl :chicken

KP

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:38 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: Pitch invasions
International Forums Moderator

Has there ever been a pitch invasion after a game in which the player didn't take the box? Am I right in saying there hasn't?

I think the pitch invasions are encouraged by Endemol to make games where the player wins from taking the box look better than OPWs from Deals. I also think I am being very cynical again.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

h2005

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:47 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Pitch invasions
Administrator & Global Moderator

I got the impression that they'd be discouraged (although I don't know that for sure), as I reckon it's difficult to film what's happening.

I don't think Noel likes them as he effectively loses control of the show, and he likes to be in charge and direct the show to a certain extent. I know he jokingly looked a bit pissed off when he went to open the remaining box on the wings (which has happened twice now), but I think he probably really is a bit dis-satisfied!

killersbee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:24 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: Pitch invasions

There should be pitch invasions when it's only relevant, short and to the point ;)

James1978

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:52 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: Pitch invasions

KP wrote:
Has there ever been a pitch invasion after a game in which the player didn't take the box? Am I right in saying there hasn't?

Bodie at Xmas 2009 when he refused a banker's gamble then had the blue in his box.

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

hogwild94

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:58 pm    Author: hogwild94    Post subject: Re: Pitch invasions
Global Moderator

KP wrote:

I think Caine and Ramesh both got pitch invasions too, but I may be wrong.

Check out SLUDGE for original, non-cover rock music!

Last edited by hogwild94 on Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brick

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:20 pm    Author: Brick    Post subject: Re: Pitch invasions

Caine definitely did, and I think Dannii did last month as well when she'd got an OPW from a 5-box deal?

[ 13 posts ] 
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]