Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 8:06 pm Last visit was: Sat May 18, 2024 8:06 pm

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close on 21 June 2024 (extended deadline). More info here.

Deal or No Deal will return for a new series later in 2024.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:24 pm    Author: Mark    Post subject: Re: Mysteries of DOND

Warnings: 0
Probably because they wanted someone to do that many, or somewhere near there.

Simple when you think about it.....

RMF1254

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:35 pm    Author: RMF1254    Post subject: Re: Mysteries of DOND

Mark wrote:
Probably because they wanted someone to do that many, or somewhere near there.

Simple when you think about it.....

But why just ONE contestant over nearly six years? :?

the wellser

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:24 am    Author: the wellser    Post subject: Re: Mysteries of DOND

Lucy was local (I know there are lots of Bristol based contestants), it would come down to her availability I guess as well her employment status and how well she could work around it.

Perhaps there research showed that people would get fed up of seeing the same faces for more than a month.

KP

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:32 am    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: Mysteries of DOND
International Forums Moderator

That makes a lot of sense, actually.

There's probably more room for various length runs now that they're on four per day - viable to have the odd player on for only one taping week if they arrive on Monday and play on Friday afternoon, and a two-week taping run could well incorporate about 30 shows quite easily...

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

unclekevo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:00 pm    Author: unclekevo    Post subject: Re: Mysteries of DOND

So that means Micole and Graham both only filmed for four days?

James1978

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:51 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: Mysteries of DOND

And that itself leads to another mystery - how on earth do all the contestants seem as if they are great mates who've known each other for years but they've probably only met a week ago, or two maximum? :)

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

h2005

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:33 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Mysteries of DOND
Administrator & Global Moderator

James1978 wrote:
And that itself leads to another mystery - how on earth do all the contestants seem as if they are great mates who've known each other for years but they've probably only met a week ago, or two maximum? :)

The social interaction (which starts as soon as you arrive) between contestants obviously happens a lot during the day, due to spending a lot of time with each other (in the green room and the dining area, in the studio, on the coach, in the hotel, in the pub, etc). As such, friendships are formed in a very short space of time.

All the contestants are living in a 'DoND bubble' - they wake up, do DoND, and go to bed - for days on end. As such, it's easy to forget about the 'real world' (especially if you don't have any relatives or friends staying with you), and you do end up feeling as though you've known your fellow contestants for ages. Of course once you've done DoND, you have to make an effort to continue the friendships you've built, particularly if there are various constraints (such as people living a long way from each other).

the wellser

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:02 pm    Author: the wellser    Post subject: Re: Mysteries of DOND

It's a bit like Big Brother I guess, are you allowed to contact friends and family on your phone whilst you're filming (well in between shows) or do you have them taken off you when you get to the Paintworks?

This might be going a bit personal so I'd respect it if you didn't want to answer, but did you ever get the feeling there was someone there who wasn't well liked or didn't like someone else?

DanS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:00 pm    Author: DanS    Post subject: Re: Mysteries of DOND

h2005 wrote:
James1978 wrote:

The social interaction (which starts as soon as you arrive) between contestants obviously happens a lot during the day, due to spending a lot of time with each other (in the green room and the dining area, in the studio, on the coach, in the hotel, in the pub, etc). As such, friendships are formed in a very short space of time.

All the contestants are living in a 'DoND bubble' - they wake up, do DoND, and go to bed - for days on end. As such, it's easy to forget about the 'real world' (especially if you don't have any relatives or friends staying with you), and you do end up feeling as though you've known your fellow contestants for ages. Of course once you've done DoND, you have to make an effort to continue the friendships you've built, particularly if there are various constraints (such as people living a long way from each other).

Just out of curiousity, is there anyone that you still keep in contact with, or did for a short while at least, after you left the show?

RMF1254

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:17 pm    Author: RMF1254    Post subject: Re: Mysteries of DOND

the wellser wrote:
This might be going a bit personal so I'd respect it if you didn't want to answer, but did you ever get the feeling there was someone there who wasn't well liked or didn't like someone else?

Like CJ, perhaps?

In all but the first of her eight games, she opened her box with this blank-looking expression on her face - and she didn't say a single word...

daniel123

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:30 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: Mysteries of DOND
Forum Games Moderator

Perhaps the cause for her stay being only 8 shows..

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

RMF1254

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:49 pm    Author: RMF1254    Post subject: Re: Mysteries of DOND

daniel123 wrote:
Perhaps the cause for her stay being only 8 shows..

Well... what I meant was, might her not being well-liked or not liking someone else have caused her to just stare blankly and remain silent for the majority of her time on the show?

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:52 pm    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject: Re: Mysteries of DOND

Why exactly is there a pair of handcuffs under the table. :ponder: Have they ever been used on the show before as I don't ever remember seeing them till today. Unless the Banker and Noel get up to stuff after they've finished filming. :eyes:

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:54 pm    Author: Mark    Post subject: Re: Mysteries of DOND

Don't think I've seen them before.

Probably there in case someone goes very mad and crazy, etc.

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:56 pm    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject: Re: Mysteries of DOND

Then surely they should have been used on Noel a very long time ago. ;)

KP

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:57 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: Mysteries of DOND
International Forums Moderator

Wonder if they will be (or have been?) used as a playful prop when a police officer is in the chair?

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

norwichdonder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:20 am    Author: norwichdonder    Post subject: Re: Mysteries of DOND

Wasn't it david who left them there :-D

Theres probably a ball gag in there too and that should be used on Noel. Also a pair of wirecutters so that the player can snip the phone lead when we get a silly amount of calls coming through.

hogwild94

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:37 am    Author: hogwild94    Post subject: Re: Mysteries of DOND
Global Moderator

norwichdonder wrote:
Also a pair of wirecutters so that the player can snip the phone lead when we get a silly amount of calls coming through.

Ah yes, I know someone who would approve of that! ;)

Check out SLUDGE for original, non-cover rock music!

DIMBLEBOT CLONE

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:49 am    Author: DIMBLEBOT CLONE    Post subject: Re: Mysteries of DOND

THE "POUND TABLE CUPBOARDS" ARE ALSO HOME TO EVIL "BLOBLINS".

THESE ARE BASED ON "GOBLINS" AND WERE PRODUCED BY "EDMONDS".

THEY PRODUCE LIGHTWAVES WHICH EMULATE THE SOUND OF SOMEONE SAYING "BLOBBY BLOBBY BLOBBY", AS A WAY TO FORCE THE CONTESTANT TO PAY ATTENTION TO "EDMONDS' WAFFLE".

THEY ARE EVIL AND SHOULD BE AVOIDED.

THE REAL DIMBLEBOT CAN BE FOUND AT HTTP://WWW.TWITTER.COM/DIMBLEBOT

daniel123

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:53 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: Mysteries of DOND
Forum Games Moderator

I seem to remember JT from a long time ago having a pair of pink handcuffs. I don't remember if they were put under the table or if he took them home along with his...£39,000 that he won? to celebrate the win that night..
That's the same JT I once impersonated on th Channel 4 forums..with moderate success actually :lol:

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

[ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]