Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 4:53 pm Last visit was: Sun May 05, 2024 4:53 pm

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close on 21 June 2024 (extended deadline). More info here.

Deal or No Deal will return for a new series later in 2024.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

hogwild94

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 10:52 am    Author: hogwild94    Post subject: What some players are remembered for
Global Moderator

Warnings: 0
I've been looking at what some people have been saying about games like Wilf's, Michael's and Glenn's. And, personally, I think it's a shame that those three people (as well as many others) are now going to be remembered for making really questionable deals rather than what (I think) they should be remembered for (Michael's 1p kiss with Hugo, and him getting put out in Anthony's game, for example).

Some players are remembered purely for the outcome of their game; the three 250k winners are a brilliant example. On the other hand, players like Dale will be remembered both for their win, and their attitude on the wings. As Noel has rightly said, the outcome of a game does not reflect the player's personality / circumstances, Will's game from earlier this year being a good example.

That's my view (I just had to let it be known). Any other views will be welcome!

Check out SLUDGE for original, non-cover rock music!

KP

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 1:21 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: What some players are remembered for
International Forums Moderator

Given that there have now been over 1,500 players, for an individual to be remembered they tend to have to do something quite remarkably unlikely so as to stick out from that crowd.

The exceptionally poor deals of Michael and Wilf were textbook examples of doing just that. Dale, of course, would have been memorable even if he had a nondescript game to leave, say, a £3k/£10k finish, thus not even being remembered for winning a blue or taking a huge gamble. The fact that he left an all-or-peanuts gamble, took it on when most others wouldn't even consider it, and got lucky? That was just the icing on the cake.

Some players are remembered almost entirely for their non-game performances. Farmer Clive is textbook in that sense - ordinary game, somewhat disappointing board, chased it to 5-box and got a pedantic OBW through making a small loss on the box, but how many people remember the game except in the context of the outrageous comedic content?

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Skyline

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 2:37 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: What some players are remembered for
Forum Games Moderator

Don't forget he who must not be named :lol:

hogwild94

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 2:55 pm    Author: hogwild94    Post subject: Re: What some players are remembered for
Global Moderator

Skyline wrote:
Don't forget he who must not be named :lol:

Who? :ponder: :D (No, I mean it! :lol: )

Skyline

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 4:46 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: What some players are remembered for
Forum Games Moderator

Image click the smiley.

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:28 pm    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject: Re: What some players are remembered for

Probably extremely emotional players, very bad deals on dream boards (45K Kathleen, the guy who dealt 44K with the top 3 at 5 box etc) and also hardened gamblers with big money games like 101K Graeme, Corinne and Kerry Anne etc.

hogwild94

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:41 pm    Author: hogwild94    Post subject: Re: What some players are remembered for
Global Moderator

alexandercbrown wrote:
the guy who dealt 44K with the top 3 at 5 box

That was Glenn from last November. I liked him, and I liked Michael and Wilf too. I just think it's a shame that people like them are now remembered for their deals rather than their antics on the wings.

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:46 pm    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject: Re: What some players are remembered for

I didn't actually have a problem with 1K Michael actually as the deal had comedy value (and I don't necessarily mean that in a bad way).

I'd also say the big money older players get remembered. (although I only saw a handful of a games last year and this year)

87K Lance, 75K Mary, 50K Jean etc.

James1978

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:47 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: What some players are remembered for

When I actually see repeats I try to look out for what the people who have had remarkable games do on the wings if it's not their game repeated. I took a lot of notice of Corinne when Andrew's game was repeated and she just grinned throughout it but didn't say anything and I just found it very amusing.

I remember when they showed repeats of late 2005 games in 2006, and 1p Nick was on one of them where the player left a finish of 50p and something else (I think it might have been Tina who won the £5k after being left with that and 50p) - I remember Nick said to her "Don't go home with 50p" or something like that and my first thought was "Ha ha, it's more than you won!! :laughing

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

hogwild94

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:48 pm    Author: hogwild94    Post subject: Re: What some players are remembered for
Global Moderator

alexandercbrown wrote:
I didn't actually have a problem with 1K Michael actually as the deal had comedy value (and I don't necessarily mean that in a bad way).

No, I'm talking about 24k Michael from a couple of weeks ago (the one who dealt 24k at 5-box with a guaranteed 10k).

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:49 am    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject: Re: What some players are remembered for

hogwild94 wrote:
alexandercbrown wrote:

No, I'm talking about 24k Michael from a couple of weeks ago (the one who dealt 24k at 5-box with a guaranteed 10k).

Ah, yes that was a strange one, late game targetism?

hogwild94

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 10:59 am    Author: hogwild94    Post subject: Re: What some players are remembered for
Global Moderator

James1978 wrote:
When I actually see repeats I try to look out for what the people who have had remarkable games do on the wings if it's not their game repeated.

That's a good point. I do that too. For instance, when I recorded Marshall and Anji's games from More4 a couple of months back, I noticed that Alex, who went on to win 88k, was talkative, offering advice on gambling etc; whereas, Christopher, who later won 100k, was very quiet, and didn't say much except when he opened his box.

There'll be a lot more of that to come, as Dale's time on the wings has just started to be repeated on More4.

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 11:32 pm    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject: Re: What some players are remembered for

I've just remembered about 100K Maria and 107K Claudine - those games seem to slip peoples minds because they were such low key players!

killersbee

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 5:51 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: What some players are remembered for

£75k Keran! She went into the hall of fame for a few reasons!

hogwild94

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:29 pm    Author: hogwild94    Post subject: Re: What some players are remembered for
Global Moderator

killersbee wrote:
£75k Keran! She went into the hall of fame for a few reasons!

Not really the point of this thread. What I'm trying to say here is some players are now remembered solely for their deals / winnings, so their antics on the wings will likely be forgotten. So, I'm trying to highlight other notable antics of the player that have been overshadowed by their gameplay.

Simon F

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 10:18 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: What some players are remembered for

Bunney would have probably be remembered well even if he hadn't won big.

killersbee

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:08 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: What some players are remembered for

Of course, his singing and his huge win combined is certainly one for the books

hogwild94

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:29 pm    Author: hogwild94    Post subject: Re: What some players are remembered for
Global Moderator

James1978 wrote:
I think only Michael from Cowboys and Indians week would have failed to win the £100k though, unless you swapped........

This, from Sam's game's thread, is a brilliant example of what I'm trying to say here. Michael is now going to be remembered purely for losing his nerve and dealing a poor offer on an all-red board. All the other stuff he did during his time on the show will be forgotten. How do we know he'd have dealt on Sam's board? It's a shame really. :(

BTW, I'm not trying to insult James here, I'm just using this quote as an example of what I'm trying to say here.

James1978

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:09 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: What some players are remembered for

Actually I agree - it would have been nice for Michael to have been remembered more for being sent out in the cold during Anthony's game rather than that deal......

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

hogwild94

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:22 pm    Author: hogwild94    Post subject: Re: What some players are remembered for
Global Moderator

James1978 wrote:
Actually I agree - it would have been nice for Michael to have been remembered more for being sent out in the cold during Anthony's game rather than that deal......

Don't forget the 1p kiss with Hugo! :lol:

[ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]