Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 4:40 am Last visit was: Sun May 19, 2024 4:40 am

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close on 21 June 2024 (extended deadline). More info here.

Deal or No Deal will return for a new series later in 2024.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 10 posts ] 

How did the official 'leaks' about Kerry-Anne's game affect your enjoyment of it?
Seeing the teasers made the actual game more enjoyable 17%  17%  [ 3 ]
Seeing the teasers made the actual game less enjoyable 58%  58%  [ 10 ]
The teasers didn't affect things one way or the other 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
I didn't even see any teasers 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 17

MisterAl

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:30 pm    Author: MisterAl    Post subject: Official leaks about Kerry-Anne's game. Good thing or not?

Warnings: 0
I'm not sure I've ever posted a poll here before, but I'm interested in something.

I have to admit that I got a bit annoyed when I saw the YouTube video teaser about Kerry-Anne's game go online last week. I thought it gave away too much information. Then the Banker started going on about how 'mind-blowing' this particular game was on Twitter too. But did you feel spoiled or did the leaked titbits of information actually make the game better?

Thanks for voting!

KP

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:33 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: Official leaks about Kerry-Anne's game. Good thing or not?
International Forums Moderator

Possibly less exciting because I was braced for something extraordinary - but if I wasn't braced for something extraordinary I'd probably have been a lot more vitriolic in my response to the game, so I'm weirdly glad for the leaks.

I'm not voting. I really am not sure.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

DanS

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:52 pm    Author: DanS    Post subject: Re: Official leaks about Kerry-Anne's game. Good thing or not?

I didn't know about the teasers, but I knew that the banker was doing a commentary on Twitter, which considering he did this for Suzanne's game had be prepared for an extraordinary game to unfold today too.

Which for me made it less enjoyable. This combined with the fact that I am a massive clockwater (I have a massive clock next to my TV, I can't help it!) ensures that I do quite well in predicting what will happen. I knew that Kerry-Anne would go to 2-box with the £250k still in play, which just put a dampener on most of the game for me.

Simon F

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:54 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: Official leaks about Kerry-Anne's game. Good thing or not?

I really don't like the leaks. Yes, they may get extra viewers but they risk alienating real fans.

Also interesting that they choose the Twitter medium to promote the game and not transmit the advertisment on TV (which would probably get viewers watching who don't normally watch DOND).

I'd be a bit happier when they start promoting games where players have big wins through sensible play.

StatsMan

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:11 pm    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: Official leaks about Kerry-Anne's game. Good thing or not?

Yes, I have to agree I'm not keen on these trailers, and the banker suddenly deciding to do a Twitter commentary, basically telegraphing there would be a big finish to the game. Knowing pretty much that the £250k will stay to the end does lessen the enjoyment factor a bit, if you know there's no jeopardy to the end it does spoil the journey somewhat.

However, from 5-box, I did find it exciting to see which of the 'big' scenarios was going to unfold; A power 5 win, A crash from £45k, An offer of the mean, A record crash, A jackpot win even? So, in that sense it was still enjoyable.

But I'd rather see the whole journey for myself without any expectations, then the viewing experience is richer, and the shock of the outcome so much greater.

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:12 pm    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject: Re: Official leaks about Kerry-Anne's game. Good thing or not?

I didn't see the teasers but I knew it would be a finish from the clock at 4.30 so not bothered really.

KP

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:27 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: Official leaks about Kerry-Anne's game. Good thing or not?
International Forums Moderator

Yes, if Endemol don't spoil it on social media, they spoil it in the editing suite...!

As StatsMan said, you knew it was going to be special, but you didn't know why. I correctly guessed it was a failed two-box gamble for the £250k, but I never, ever imagined it would be on an AMO against a mid-red...

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

MisterAl

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:18 pm    Author: MisterAl    Post subject: Re: Official leaks about Kerry-Anne's game. Good thing or not?

Yeah, I suppose what I'm interested in is whether having prior knowledge that something big is going to happen but not knowing what makes for a better viewing experience than knowing absolutely nothing. I can see valid arguments on both sides actually, although if every 'unusual' game gets spoiled then it rather gives away the fact that any unspoiled game isn't particularly special!

Simon F

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:37 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: Official leaks about Kerry-Anne's game. Good thing or not?

MisterAl wrote:
Yeah, I suppose what I'm interested in is whether having prior knowledge that something big is going to happen but not knowing what makes for a better viewing experience than knowing absolutely nothing. I can see valid arguments on both sides actually, although if every 'unusual' game gets spoiled then it rather gives away the fact that any unspoiled game isn't particularly special!

It depends whether your definition of a special game matches that of Endemol's. A great 3rd offer OPW would be special for me but I doubt would be promoted by C4. A wonderfully entertaining player is special for me but that wouldn't be promoted either.

h2005

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:16 am    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Official leaks about Kerry-Anne's game. Good thing or not?
Administrator & Global Moderator

The trailers that were posted by Endemol (and the banker) on Twitter, Facebook and their official website gave away that there was going to be an extraordinary game in the next week or two. The banker on Twitter then heavily hinted that the game would be today. As such, when I watched it, I was pretty sure that the £250k would remain in-play until 2-box and that she'd no deal her way there.

I didn't particularly like the official leaks but I can see why they did it, as it would obviously generate viewers for what was going to be a show with a big talking-point. The thing with "unofficial" leaks is that they're normally very vague and you're never sure if they're true or not, whereas obviously official leaks are presumably going to be more accurate.

I must admit I never thought I'd see the day where we'd be discussing "official leaks", as Endemol have been so tight-lipped with regards to unbroadcast shows in the past!

[ 10 posts ] 
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]