Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 12:50 am Last visit was: Sun May 19, 2024 12:50 am

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close on 21 June 2024 (extended deadline). More info here.

Deal or No Deal will return for a new series later in 2024.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 12 posts ] 

Would you have taken that £17k?
Poll ended at Tue May 10, 2011 5:39 pm
Yes 69%  69%  [ 9 ]
No 30%  30%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 13

RMF1254

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 5:39 pm    Author: RMF1254    Post subject: Al's 5th offer

Warnings: 0
I don't see why the whole thing about Al turning down that £17k doesn't warrant a poll.

As I've said several times already, I thought that it was an insultingly low offer, since he was remarkably brave to turn down £12k three boxes before.

I myself would more than likely have taken that £12k, as would quite a few others.

But if you had gone on there, what would you have then done at £17k? And were you too annoyed about it being only a £5k increase?

7 days to vote.

MisterAl

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 5:47 pm    Author: MisterAl    Post subject: Re: Al's 5th offer

It was less generous than the £12k offer at 8-box, but on an increasingly unstable board it was hardly an insult. If I were the Banker, I doubt I'd have offered above £20k there.

James1978

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 5:48 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: Al's 5th offer

I can't see how the banker could have gone up much more as taking out the £35k was quite important in my book. I would have no-dealt the £12k but dealt the £17k.

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

RMF1254

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 5:49 pm    Author: RMF1254    Post subject: Re: Al's 5th offer

I don't disagree that the loss of the £35k was quite big - but even so, that £17k still felt too low IMHO...

h2005

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 5:51 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Al's 5th offer
Administrator & Global Moderator

I've always thought that judging an offer by comparing it to a previous offer (e.g. how much the offer has increased based on the boxes removed in the preceding round) is potentially a bad move, as the banker often varies his generosity throughout a game, presumably to make the offers look less generous or more generous than they actually are.

So I'd have assessed the £17k offer on what was left at the time, and it wasn't the best offer ever seen on a board like that, but it was reasonable, and I'd have taken it. I wouldn't have let the poor increase from 8-box influence me.

hogwild94

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:07 pm    Author: hogwild94    Post subject: Re: Al's 5th offer
Global Moderator

The 250k was just too exposed for comfort, so, yes, I'd have taken it.

Check out SLUDGE for original, non-cover rock music!

KP

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:30 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: Al's 5th offer
International Forums Moderator

It was just about enough for me.

Incidentally, so was the £12k.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Simon F

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:05 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: Al's 5th offer

I'd have taken £17k unless the banker was willing to offer a £75k+ offer for keeping the QM in play.

greeny

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:52 pm    Author: greeny    Post subject: Re: Al's 5th offer

Yes, I'd have taken £17,000 (though I more than likely would have taken the £12,000 before that)

"The Banker"

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 4:49 pm    Author: "The Banker"    Post subject: Re: Al's 5th offer

Yes, I would have taken £17,000.

I don’t really see the issue with the increase in offer – to be fair he did take out the £35,000 leaving just the £250,000 exposed and not much else so it wasn’t going to go up by a lot.

I’m not sure whether I would have taken the offer of £12,000 the round before though.

cfd

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 4:53 pm    Author: cfd    Post subject: Re: Al's 5th offer

If I recall correctly I'd have taken the £12,000. I'd definitely deal the £17,000.

RMF1254

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:11 pm    Author: RMF1254    Post subject: Re: Al's 5th offer

So it's a pretty comprehensive Yes to taking that £17k... :lol: ;)

I stand by everything that I said about it, though. ;)

And one can't disagree that it was less dealable than the £63k that Debs was offered at the same stage the following day... ;)

[ 12 posts ] 
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]