Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 1:35 am Last visit was: Thu May 02, 2024 1:35 am

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 401 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:30 am    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject: DoND News

Warnings: 0
*** CHECK LAST PAGE OF THIS TOPIC FOR THE LATEST NEWS! ***

In an exclusive interview with the News of the World Noel has called for a ban on immigrants and says "The bus is full".

News of the World wrote:
TELLY favourite Noel Edmonds has astonishingly called for a total BAN on immigrants coming to Britain.

In a controversial interview which will spark a fierce nationwide debate, he said: “I’m very straightforward on immigration. The bus is full.”

The star gave his hard-hitting views to the News of the World on the eve of his new political telly programme, Noel’s HQ, which tries to find solutions for what’s wrong with Britain.

TV Noel, 59—famous for Noel's House Party, which featured Mr Blobby, and Deal Or No Deal—went on: “Why should we have no more people in?

“We haven’t got enough energy, we haven’t got enough electricity, we haven’t got enough of a health service.

“We can all go down the pub and go, ‘Oh it’s terrible, all these immigrants.’ But what are we going to do in Britain to change this toxic culture if we don’t say, ‘Enough is enough.’

“If I was Prime Minister for a day the first thing I would do would be to close the border.

“Then we could work out how many people we’ve got here.

“Then you get people out who have committed crimes and you look at others who shouldn’t be here. Nobody knows how many people we’ve got here.”

Last year 600,000 came to the UK legally. Around 50,000 illegal immigrants are caught each year but nobody knows how many go undetected. The UK population is expected to rise from nearly 61million now to 77million within 50 years. Noel’s views are in line with a YouGov poll that shows 81 per cent of Labour and 89 per cent of Conservative voters want a substantial reduction in immigration.

The presenter insisted his views are not racist.

He explained: “Please be clear. I do not have an agenda that involves where people come from, the colour of their skin or what their religion is.

“But it is a fact that there is a finite number of people who can fit into a lift. This is an island and we have a situation now where we are going to run out of energy.”

Speaking about his worries of an energy crisis Noel, who is waging a campaign for a sensible Government policy on it, added: “My number one fear in the next two to three years is that people won’t be able to light or heat their homes.”

He said he doesn’t trust either Gordon Brown or David Cameron to make effective changes and said he would not vote at the next election. Noel said: “Who’s going to do something about it. Brown? Cameron? No. They’ve had their go, now it’s our turn.

“Cameron’s had every opportunity to represent to the public what he stands for and the big change he’s going to make.

“Ridiculous green taxes are just another way of prising money off people. “The best thing that could happen to this country is that if at the next election no one voted. We have to put the power back with the people.”

Next Noel turned his attention to the explosion in violent crime, insisting we need to build more PRISONS, overhaul the POLICE force and get KIDS with knives off the street.

He said: “I find it extraordinary that we live in millions of little prisons called our homes, with burglar alarms, when a relatively small number of people walk around free.

“If someone’s caught with a knife they need to get off the street straight away. We need to build bigger prisons.”

On the police, Noel said: “The police are not respected because of the way they behave.

“I’d reorganise the force so we don’t have people with stab vests walking into our homes to tell us they’re not interested that our car’s been stolen.”

Noel, who spends much of his time at his home in France, added: “I’d introduce something similar to the French system.

“You basically go back to having the village bobby working with the community.

“Then you have a police force outside of that which gets more involved in the day to day, light criminal offences.

“Then you have the serious police force. Now you don’t want to go near them. They don’t bother to ask you your name.”

Noel hopes his 90-minute live TV special tonight will help change the way society works.

He said: “No one-off event can change everything, but hopefully this will be regarded as an honest and determined step.”

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/news/article25476.ece

Last edited by Michael DeVere on Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:06 am, edited 16 times in total.

Tom22

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:34 am    Author: Tom22    Post subject: Re: Noel calls for a ban on immigrants

Oh dear. Noel really is going all out for plugging his new show isnt he... He could have only got more publicity if he did this with the Daily Mail.

3rd. Toms Shrews III 1221
Top Scorer this week - dondsters 147 Worst scorer this week - Adium United 33
Bottom - Hammond's Heroes 766
(After Gameweek 22)

h2005

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:48 am    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Noel calls for a ban on immigrants
Administrator & Global Moderator

As much as I like Mr. Edmonds, I do wonder if he is going a little OTT with all of this. I do agree with a lot of what he says but I think he's taking it too far by encouraging people not to pay their TV licence and suggesting politicans should be got rid of and the "power should go back to the people". How would that work?!?! Things are seemingly bad enough in a society which is controlled in many ways... what would it be like if the people ruled? It'd be chaos...

Two "shocking" revelations from Noel in one day - 1. that he doesn't pay his TV licence and 2. that he wants to stop immigrants coming into the country. Am I being too cynical by suggesting this may be a bit of a publicity stunt?

I'd be interested to know what Endemol think of all of this, as whilst what he gets up to on Sky One and indeed in his own free time is his business, they surely don't want a presenter of DOND who's starting to get political and seemingly encouraging people to break the law and so on, do they? The next DOND contestant to film in the autumn who's an immigrant (and I'm sure there will be some) will surely feel uncomfortable if they've read what Noel's said here...

I did like this bit:

mike wrote:
TV Noel, 59—famous for Noel's House Party, which featured Mr Blobby, and Deal Or No Deal—went on: “Why should we have no more people in?

It's as if they're saying "Don't forget readers - he can't be taken too seriously because he brought us Blobby and DOND". :lol:

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:07 am    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject: Re: Noel calls for a ban on immigrants

Here's yet another interview with Noel this time with The Mirror. This time he is talking about the "orbs" on his shoulders :shock: :? :eyes:

The Mirror wrote:
NOEL Edmonds tells me he has two “orbs” bouncing on his shoulders – and they contain the souls of his dead parents.

I look hard, but I can’t see them.

“Don’t you know about orbs?” he asks, seeing the reaction on my face. And then it dawns on me he’s being deadly serious.
This is, after all, the man who two years ago told the Sunday Mirror how he had got his life under control using Cosmic Ordering – asking the planets for help by writing a wish-list on a piece of paper.

“Orbs are little bundles of positive energy and they think they can move between 500 and 1,000 miles per hour,” Noel tells me with total sincerity. “They look like little round planets but they come in all shapes and sizes.”

Noel, 59, says he was introduced to the phenomenon by his 37-year-old girlfriend Liz Davies – the woman he has been dating for nearly two years.

And together, he says, they have picked up the presence of two balls that Noel believes are his late parents – Dudley, who died in 1990, and Lydia, who passed away in 2004.

“Conventional photography can’t pick them up but digital cameras can,” Noel says earnestly in what I’m starting to feel is a David Icke-style confession.

“My belief is that these are something to do with some form of spiritual energy. And possibly because I miss my parents like mad, I like to think they are them.

“I’ve got loads of photos of me at home with two orbs that visit me.

The two that I have are about the size of melons ( :shock: ). One sits on my arm and the other is usually in the back of the shot, sitting just over my right shoulder.

“They like very happy occasions and positive environments, so if you are a positive person you will undoubtedly have orbs around you.”

We were here to talk about Noel’s new Sky One TV show, Noel’s HQ – his attempt to get the public to fix what’s wrong with “Broken Britain”.

Noel is dressed in one of his trademark patterned shirts and he’s instantly recognisable by his thick bouffant hair. Sitting opposite him, it’s easy to feel you know this man. He has, after all, spent more than 30 years on the box. But I’m beginning to see a very different side to the former Telly Addicts host.

And our conversation turns surreal as Noel – who has an £80million fortune – continues to expand on his new field of interest.

“We are all made up of energy – we vibrate all the time,” he says.

“It’s inconceivable to me that when we die, that energy just disappears. That energy has to go somewhere.

“That’s what orbs are. I’m absolutely certain now that there is something else out there because I’ve got the proof.

“I had a very interesting evening at a house I was renting a while back. I was talking with friends about spiritualism and the subject of orbs came up. Someone got a camera out and started taking pictures. When I saw the images, I was like, ‘Hang on a minute that’s got to be dust or light’. I was fairly cynical but we took some more and the same orbs were there.”

Noel prefers to keep the pictures private, and he’s aware that many find his ideas hard to swallow. After all, he’s been here before with his Cosmic Ordering confession back in 2006.

But he’s not worried about how he’s perceived. “I’m a very tolerant person and I’m open to new ideas,” he says. “I’m not an evangelist. I don’t go round telling people, ‘You must try this’.

“But I don’t pour scorn on any idea either. It’s the same with the Cosmic Ordering. I’ve got a few nice little orders in at the moment.

I’ve got one in for a friend who would like to meet the man of her dreams. And another for a couple who had some difficult financial issues recently. I’m confident they will come true.” Noel has already credited Cosmic Ordering for bringing happiness back into his own life – in the form of current girlfriend Liz.

The couple met in 2006 on the set of his Channel 4 comeback series, Deal Or No Deal, when make-up artist Liz came in to get him ready to face the cameras.

The romance started three years after the end of his 18-year marriage to second wife Helen Soby –mother of his four daughters.

“I’m in love with the most beautiful woman on the planet, but there won’t be wedding bells any time soon,” he says. And with six children between them – Liz has two young sons from her own marriage – Noel insists they have no plans for a family of their own.

“I’m 59 and three-quarters,” he says.“I think that’s too old to be a father.”

Looking at him, it’s hard to believe but Noel – who divides his time between homes in Bath and the South of France – is just a few months short of getting his bus pass. Even so, I can’t help but wonder how the 20-year age gap affects their relationship. “If she dies, she dies,” he jokes.

It’s nearly 10 years since Noel quit the BBC and his hit series Noel’s House Party. And yesterday, in a bizarre rant on TV, he said he has stopped paying his licence fee. He claimed: “When I was at the BBC it promoted the licence fee by saying how wonderful it was. But now it is saying, ‘We know where you are’. “I am not going to have the BBC or any organisation threatening me.”

Noel is back at the top of his game, fronting a string of hit shows including Sky One’s Are You Smarter Than A Ten-Year-Old? But it’s tonight’s 90-minute one-off special, Noel’s HQ, that’s his main focus.

The show highlights pointless bureaucracy and health-and-safety jobsworths.

“We’ve got a section in the show called Bonkers Britain,” he says.

“Some of the cases are too stupid for words. Like everybody else, I go out every day now thinking, ‘I must be breaking the law’.” - [Surely you are Noel if you're not paying your TV license?]
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-storie ... -20735567/

h2005

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:17 am    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Noel calls for a ban on immigrants

Urm.......... right. :? Whatever floats his boat and all that but I'm not so sure about these "orbs"... is he sure they're not actually melons? :lol:

The Mirror wrote:
Even so, I can’t help but wonder how the 20-year age gap affects their relationship. “If she dies, she dies,” he jokes.

:shock: Charming.

Tom22

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:20 am    Author: Tom22    Post subject: Re: Noel calls for a ban on immigrants

Hahaha this is getting mad...

3rd. Toms Shrews III 1221
Top Scorer this week - dondsters 147 Worst scorer this week - Adium United 33
Bottom - Hammond's Heroes 766
(After Gameweek 22)

h2005

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:30 am    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Noel calls for a ban on immigrants

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! Noel's right!!!!!! Nothing unusual here...

Until...

You look a bit closer...

And with a bit of adjustment of brightness & contast on Photoshop, you get this. Astonishing results! :shock: :shock:

Oh and I have an orb on one of my shoulders too - it's the energy from my dead goat. Unfortunately he ate it when he saw its resemblance to a melon. :lol:

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:33 am    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject: Re: Noel calls for a ban on immigrants

Quote:
they [Noel & Liz] have picked up the presence of two balls

The two that I [Noel] have are about the size of melons

we vibrate all the time

hard to swallow

There seemed to be a bit of innuendo in that story. Or perhaps that was just how I thought :oops:

EDIT - :lol: At Noel's melons.

h2005

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:35 am    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Noel calls for a ban on immigrants

Surely all this orb / melon / immigrant / TV licence stuff can't be for real? It's not April 1st but it does seem like a Michael-take. Especially when you disect the article and get the innuendos mike's found. :lol:

alex xxx

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:51 am    Author: alex xxx    Post subject: Re: Noel calls for a ban on immigrants

strange I didn't find those innuendos! maybe i'm still half asleep! :-D

cookie_monster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:58 am    Author: cookie_monster    Post subject: Re: Noel calls for a ban on immigrants

I think the old man really has lost it now :lol:

KP

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:09 am    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: Noel calls for a ban on immigrants
International Forums Moderator

Would you buy a second-hand car from this man, let alone trust him to host a game show about gambling?

Unfortunately, his views strike a chord with millions of ignorant people around the country. The very same people who'll lose their jobs to the immigrants who actually come here to work and better themselves!

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

tr4962

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:01 pm    Author: tr4962    Post subject: Re: Noel calls for a ban on immigrants

The TV license protest by Noel made sense, but i think this is going a bit too far, he may even have offended some people (i.e immigrants)

I don't think immigrants need to be stopped completely, there just needs to be less, if i ever wanted to leave the UK i wouldn't want to be stopped by other countries having rules which say no immigrants, so immigration shouldn't really be stopped completely.

Daisy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:26 pm    Author: Daisy    Post subject: Re: Noel calls for a ban on immigrants

"the bus is full"

"toxic culture"

If this is a PR stunt of some kind (which I'm sure it is), I think he might have gone a tad overboard. These two phrases struck me as being particularly insensitive.

It's no coincidence that all this TV license/immigrant/more prisons stuff has come out as he's about to launch a political show on bloody Sky 1. After all, both articles appeared in The News of the World and The Mirror.

I can assure you that's not due to cosmic ordering or floating fruit.

Sure, you can come up with just the right paragraph that would exactly and candidly reflect the precise emotional descriptors you wished to be utilized in communicating your ever present and meticulously cultivated thoughts. Or you can just swear.
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence and insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Daisyed & Confused
Proud receiver of Maudy hugs.

Billy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:02 pm    Author: Billy    Post subject: Re: Noel calls for a ban on immigrants

Quote:
GAMESHOW host Noel Edmonds has astonishingly called on a re-introduction of the death penalty in the United Kingdom. The last execution took place over 40 years ago in 1964, when Edmonds was a fresh-faced young radio DJ.

"I just think that standards are slipping in this country, and a bit of extra hanging is just what it needs to get back on track" says the Deal or No Deal star. "Not just for things like treason, but murder and piracy as well. You could even film them and broadcast them live on TV to teach other criminals a lesson."

"By the way, did I mention I've got a new TV show on Sky?"

Ok I made that one up :oops: Wouldn't be surprised if that came next though, this is the publicity stunt of all publicity stunts.

Jimmy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:28 pm    Author: Jimmy    Post subject: Re: Noel calls for a ban on immigrants
Global Moderator

cookie_monster wrote:
I think the old man really has lost it now :lol:

He may well have lost it regarding all this cosmic nonsense, but I completely agree with his 'stance' on immigration. It's about time people spoke up about this sort of thing! Edmonds is not in a minority with his comments; nearly 90% of people in the NOTW poll agree with him. The government have been fobbing us all of for years and whether you like it or not, there are too many immigrants coming to this country. For a small island like us, the population is spiralling out of control. This government are an outright disgrace in so many ways and the sooner more people start speaking out against what is wrong the sooner things can start to be put back on track. I'm getting into a rant mood so I shall stop here before I start complaining about everything else that is wrong with this country!

Even so, well done Noel! (even if you are a bit of a nutter and you're doing it for your own good!)

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:43 am    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject: Re: Noel calls for a ban on immigrants

Noel to lose his title "Deputy Lieutenant of Devon"?

I didn't even know he had a title :?

The Times wrote:
For 30 years he was one the BBC’s star presenters, stitching up celebrities and subjecting guests on his show to the horrors of the gunge tank. But now Noel Edmonds himself could be in the line of fire, after he announced that he was leading a boycott of the television licence fee.

The former Noel’s House Party presenter, who accused the BBC of “hectoring and threatening” the public into paying the £139.50 annual charge, could be stripped of his ceremonial title of Deputy Lieutenant of Devon, after confessing to his criminality, The Times has learnt.

In an interview at the weekend, Edmonds declared that for four months he had refused to pay the licence fee, a legal requirement for anyone who owns a television, adding that he was prepared to be prosecuted for evading the tax.

Eric Dancer, Lord-Lieutenant of Devon, said yesterday that he would investigate whether Edmonds should lose his position, which carries the blessing of the Queen.

Edmonds assumed the title – which involves assisting the Lord-Lieutenant in arranging the monarch’s visits to Devon, leading the local magistracy and hearing grievances between citizens and tax officials – in 2004.

Mr Dancer told The Times: “If a deputy did do something that was a criminal offence, I’m sure that people who commit serious misdemeanours are not allowed to continue to serve.”

A TV Licensing spokesperson said: “Irrespective of Noel Edmonds’s personal opinion, the law is clear: anyone caught watching or recording TV programmes without a licence risks prosecution and a fine of up to £1,000.”

Noel’s HQ, screened last night on Sky One, was aimed at promoting a “fairer, more caring Britain”. Edmonds told viewers: “You clearly feel frustrated and at times angry at the tidal wave of new rules, regulations and laws that have been introduced in the name of health and safety, security or the environment. Well, the politicians have had their turn, and now it’s ours. It’s down to you, me and them, and to everyone who wants to live in a more caring society.”

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/ ... 753618.ece

KP

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:28 am    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: Noel calls for a ban on immigrants

This brings up another thought: do we expect the political opinions of entertainment hosts to be known? Edmonds' right-wing views are now very well-documented, Richard and Judy write in the Express so must be right-wing, Ulrika Johnson writes a mildly paranoid column in the News of the World and/or the Sun, a few pop stars and so on have come out with left-wing views (Chris Martin most famously, and before then Mick Hucknall and Bono), but it seems we don't know the political leanings of most of our entertainment hosts. Should we?

This probably warrants another thread...

In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

h2005

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:39 am    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Noel calls for a ban on immigrants

There's no obligation for them to keep quiet about their political standings, so there's no harm for them to talk about politics in their own time, as far as I'm concerned. However there's no place for it in their shows - I don't think it'd be too good if Noel started speaking about closing the borders during an episode of DOND for example!

KP

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:59 am    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: Noel calls for a ban on immigrants

I think you're absolutely right. They are personalities and they hold their own views independently of their broadcasting. Makes sense.

[ 401 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]