Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 10:28 am Last visit was: Fri May 03, 2024 10:28 am

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

is the 250k unwinnable?
Yes 26%  26%  [ 12 ]
No 73%  73%  [ 34 ]
Total votes : 46

Aaron Brock

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:29 pm    Author: Aaron Brock    Post subject: Is the 250k unwinnable?

Warnings: 0
i think its unwinnable
-----------------------------------------------------
heres a scenario:

5 boxes left

£5
£250
£500
£20,000
£250,000

Banker gives an offer of £47,000

I have seen most players chicken out and DEAL
but its the common sense to deal.

5 people who dealt and had the 250k:
Natalie - Dealt at £22,000
Mally - Dealt at £54,000
Daz - Dealt at £45,000
Anna - Dealt at £43,000
Germaine - Dealt at £75,000

Majority of people at that stage would deal wouldnt they?

I would.

They would be scared of losing the 250k, everyone would. so thats why they deal
----------------------------------------------------------------
this is why i believe its unwinnable

Your views please

Last edited by Aaron Brock on Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

psichonico

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:19 pm    Author: psichonico    Post subject:

Someone will end up one day having the guts to say No Deal and hopefully win a quarter of a million. Part of the fun of the £250k guess is that we are trying to find the 250,000 and so far no one has guessed it correctly

bork

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:38 pm    Author: bork    Post subject:

The £250,000 is winnable, it's just unlikely that it will happen very often (if ever).
The way my partner and I see it, two things need to be in place for someone to take the jackpot.

1. The player has to get to the last two boxes with £250,000 and £100,000 still in play (Maybe the £75,000, but any smaller amount in the second box and the difference in monetary value becomes too great for most people to risk a gamble, and they would likely accept the bankers middle-ground offer)

2. The player has to be a hell of a gambler, and be happy to accept that they might go home with the smallest amount of money potentially available to them (£250,000, Bankers offer, £100,000).
But given that the smallest amount available is still £100,000, they would hardly be skint if it all went wrong, and they have a 50% chance of winning the top prize.

If anyone does win the £250,000, I think it would probably play out something like that.

Last edited by bork on Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#1 Box 4 fan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:48 pm    Author: #1 Box 4 fan    Post subject:

It is winnable. The two criteria you need is.....

a)You must have it in your box, or last two left.
b)You need someone with massive balls like Jennifer did.

It's winnable, it's just long odds.

Mental Mickey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:56 pm    Author: Mental Mickey    Post subject: Winning the £250K

Location: Secret lair inside a hollowed-out volcano somewhere near Preston
Bork has it spot on. The only time it would be worth continuing and go right to the end for £250000 is if all there are left are big numbers - specifically the £250000, £100000 and most of the rest of the "power block".

The dream scenario with five boxes left would be something like this:

£250,000
£100,000
£75,000
£50,000
£10,000

The offer at this point would be HUGE, but the absolute WORST CASE SCENARIO at this point would be a cool £10K, which is a very good sum of money indeed. At this point it's worth opening another three boxes as even if you were to knock out all three of the big ones above, you'd still be looking at a final offer in the £25K range with the two lower boxes, whereas if you still have the £250K and £100K in play at the end, your offer would increase to the £170K range I should think, and then it becomes a matter of how greedy you are. If it were me, and I was guananteed a minimum of £100K at this point and a possible £250K in the other box, I would probably play on to the end. It's win-win either way - £100K I never had to begin with.

Mind you, like they say on the show, hindsight is a wonderful thing, and if I was up there in the chair and I was being offered REAL money, I'd probably bottle out and take the cash. It's definately doable though - to the right person with the right mindset and a hell of a lot of luck along the way.

Mental Mickey

GeordieGerry

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:55 pm    Author: GeordieGerry    Post subject:

:shock:

Last edited by GeordieGerry on Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aaron Brock

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:09 pm    Author: Aaron Brock    Post subject:

I agree with you on

bork wrote:
1. The player has to get to the last two boxes with £250,000 and £100,000 still in play (Maybe the £75,000, but any smaller amount in the second box and the difference in monetary value becomes too great for most people to risk a gamble, and they would likely accept the bankers middle-ground offer)

and

bork wrote:
2. The player has to be a hell of a gambler.

and with nik

nik wrote:
You need someone with massive balls like Jennifer did.

but its very unlikely we get someone have the £250,000 and £100,000
(has anyone been in that position?)

bork

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:24 pm    Author: bork    Post subject:

GeordieGerry wrote:
you are asked what you consider to be a life changing sum of money when you apply - for the vast majority of the UK population that is in the £10K - £75K range. Every time the contestants see someone like John walk with £10 after No Dealing a £25k offer the odds of a big winner lengthen.

I was wondering whether the TV company considered this as a factor. If they 'insure' themselves by selecting people whose monetary aspirations are not in the upper bracket, (not they wouldn't take it if offered) then yes, the odds against it being won get longer.

jonny

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:22 pm    Author: jonny    Post subject:

sara had the final 2 boxes as the top 2. way after she dealt though.

anyway, i think if a dealer was lucky to have the top 3 and a couple others left, they may go to the final 2, in which they are lucky enough to have the top 2 left. then, they need balls to no deal.

MisterAl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:07 pm    Author: MisterAl    Post subject: Re: Winning the £250K

Mental Mickey wrote:
The dream scenario with five boxes left would be something like this:

£250,000
£100,000
£75,000
£50,000
£10,000

This is almost exactly the scenario that Brenda had the other week. Her final five were £250k, £75k, £50k, £35k, £10k (although she'd already said Deal a round earlier).

Knowing that you're going to win at least £10,000 no matter what means that you're guaranteed a good result. With no chance of a disasterous result, there are definitely people who would reject any offer and take their own box if they were in that situation. John G. on Saturday showed that there are people out there who will go for lesser amounts with far greater risk!

Quote:
It's definately doable though - to the right person with the right mindset and a hell of a lot of luck along the way.

Absolutely.

Arlette

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:25 am    Author: Arlette    Post subject: Unwinnable

how do you vote - i.e. no

Aaron Brock

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:05 am    Author: Aaron Brock    Post subject: Re: Unwinnable

Arlette wrote:
how do you vote - i.e. no

Click on the circle on the left of the answer.

Then click submit vite. the results will come up

bork

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:05 pm    Author: bork    Post subject:

What a great game Germaine had today.

Unfortuanately it provided further proof that you need a virtual dream scenario, as disscussed elsewhere in this thread to be able to say "No deal" and have a go at opening a potential 1/4 million box. Either that or balls of steel, and the ability to get over the fact you denied yourself thousands of pounds.
Even with a relatively poor offer of 75k from the banker, Germaine still couldn't risk going home with just £1.

bushy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:20 pm    Author: bushy    Post subject:

Given that he had the £250,000 in his box, then from the 5-box stage he had a 50/50 chance of ending up with either £35k or £50k as back-up.

I would expect an offer around £100k, and, knowing Germaine, I think he would have turned it down.

We got closer than you might imagine today.

JamesR

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:31 pm    Author: JamesR    Post subject:

Aaron Brock wrote:
but its very unlikely we get someone have the £250,000 and £100,000
(has anyone been in that position?)

Sara was in that position several months ago, although by that point she'd already dealed for £31,000, if I remember correctly.

Maltus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:35 pm    Author: Maltus    Post subject:

Although I don't know Germaine, I expect you're right bushy. Its a shame he didn't take out the £1 instead of the £35k at the end, if that had been the case he might have thought - well, someone has to go for it and if I don't manage it I have £35k as a back up. It was just too risky with the £1 as backup for Germaine. So no one can blame him for taking the money (even though it was a slightly lower offer than I expected from the banker). £75k is still a huge amount of money and I suppose we have to flip it over and say - if he had gone home with £1 it would have been devastating. I think on average 21 of a cross-section of 22 average contestants would have dealt there, and many of those wouldn't even have got to that deal.

So you have to say well done Germaine - he was my favourite contestant of the last few weeks and his cheerful gameplay today showed why -(especially enjoyed it when he answered the phone to the Banker himself and just carried on afterwards!). Well done mate, enjoy your win.

bork

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:59 pm    Author: bork    Post subject:

Maltus wrote:
Although I don't know Germaine, I expect you're right bushy. Its a shame he didn't take out the £1 instead of the £35k at the end, if that had been the case he might have thought - well, someone has to go for it and if I don't manage it I have £35k as a back up.

You're right, it was a shame he didn't have a reasonable back-up, that must of entered his thoughts when it came to that all important question.

I agree with your last point too Maltus, even though we know that new and entertaining people (like Bushy) will continue to replace our old favourites, Germaine will be sorely missed.

KP

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:08 pm    Author: KP    Post subject:
International Forums Moderator

The offers with £250k in the final two were getting lower and lower. If this continues, someone will get such a low offer that they'll go for it - most likely if the backup's a middle red (so the Banker can still go a long way down without looking stupid, but the gamble still appears worth taking).

Realistically though, it'll only be won if a player like Fin has it in their box. That's what happened in Australia.

bushy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:55 pm    Author: bushy    Post subject:

I think Endemol are increasingly keen for someone to win it, to add to the momentum the show has generated. Hence the lower offers while the £250k remains in play.

KP

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:03 pm    Author: KP    Post subject:
International Forums Moderator

It seems that way, but I'm not so sure they're right. The first £1m win on Millionaire was a jump-the-shark moment for that show - the only way was down from there. Would the same apply for DoND?

Probably not actually; the Australian and French versions are still going well even though they've given away their top prize (more than once, in the case of the French version), and I can't think of any other version that's given away their top prize.

[ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]