Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 5:43 pm Last visit was: Sun May 05, 2024 5:43 pm

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close on 21 June 2024 (extended deadline). More info here.

Deal or No Deal will return for a new series later in 2024.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

KP

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:58 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: Worst deal ever?
International Forums Moderator

Warnings: 0
Not even close to being the worst deal ever. It's only a few grand short of what I'd have wanted on that board, whereas there've been some (Marysia's at five-box for starters) where I'd have wanted another 50% on top to even consider it!

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

James1978

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:50 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: Worst deal ever?

Mike's deal didn't even approach Richard territory - Mike didn't have the 75k and 35k like Richard did, and the deal was for more! :)

He also didn't deal with all the power 5 there (i.e. Colleen)!!

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

Tom

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:55 am    Author: Tom    Post subject: Re: Worst deal ever?

Mike's deal was in no way the worst ever.

killersbee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:04 am    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: Worst deal ever?

Big-Davey wrote:
There is a difference between squandering more money, and blowing it big time, and in EPIC style!

For that only, I say Richard and Michael share the worst deal ever - nobody else comes close.

Exactly :)

James1978

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:45 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: Worst deal ever?

Just thinking who could be added to this since the last update:

Meena (what on earth was she thinking? It wasn't a one-box game, the board wasn't that bad, nor was it for a large possibly life-changing amount!)

Michelle (like Louise from the summer but she got away with it)

Lee (4k) and Matthew but both getting away with it!

Halloween Chris who went before he had a chance to pick trick or treat!

Bonfire Night Martin (oh dear!)

Constance, but she got away with it sort of

3k David (also him refusing the undeal)

Rita (10k with 100k and 75k in the last 5!!!!)

Possibly Rhys as well?

I was thinking of Tolleck in terms of what he had in his box but don't think it's anywhere near as bad as those I've previously mentioned!!

But I think overall Meena beats any of the ones (Richard, Michael, etc) that have been previously been the candidates!! :D

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:50 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: Worst deal ever?

I think Meena's is the only one out of that lot that belongs on the Worst Deal Ever list...it really was a shocking decision.

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:08 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: Worst deal ever?

Surprised this was never updated to include the likes of Wilf, Sherilyn, Rosie, £16k Ronnie, £10,021 Fran etc.

h2005

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:30 am    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Worst deal ever?
Administrator & Global Moderator

I'm sure there's another similar thread somewhere which had been updated more recently. :ponder:

BankerSpanker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:08 pm    Author: BankerSpanker    Post subject: Re: Worst deal ever?

Was it this one: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=22280 ?

Fan of classic rock and metal

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:54 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: Worst deal ever?

I think that one is just dedicated to offers that were terrible for the board though, not just ones that were dealt :ponder:

Just happy the forums a better place now (that little 'breakthrough' after Ali's game helped too ;) ) than they were back in the Richard, Hayley, £1k Michael etc. days. I do feel bad for Richard though, getting the amount of hate he did on here the time, i know it was a 'bad' decision for the board and in terms of what he had in his box, but it's a lot of money and it did mean a lot to him. And some of the comments made about him on here went too far, and to be honest, some of them actually made me sick

James1978

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:06 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: Worst deal ever?

JamesJMH91 wrote:
I think that one is just dedicated to offers that were terrible for the board though, not just ones that were dealt :ponder:

Just happy the forums a better place now (that little 'breakthrough' after Ali's game helped too ;) ) than they were back in the Richard, Hayley, £1k Michael etc. days. I do feel bad for Richard though, getting the amount of hate he did on here the time, i know it was a 'bad' decision for the board and in terms of what he had in his box, but it's a lot of money and it did mean a lot to him. And some of the comments made about him on here went too far, and to be honest, some of them actually made me sick

I re-read Richard's thread a few months ago and it didn't make me sick but seriously angry. I wanted to boot off about it then I realised most of the users in question had already been banned so there was no need to. ;-)

psychokiller

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:53 am    Author: psychokiller    Post subject: Re: Worst deal ever?

Also Richard gets scrutinised mainly because his proveout turned the game into one of the strongest games we never had... you can guarantee had he wiped out the big numbers the comments would be ''lucky man... got away with it... clever decision...wise''.... and we HAVE seen a collpase of that type of board before, Marie from the early days in 2006, and I think it ended up being the first OPL from a Deal being accepted (as opposed to just winning a blue), with £4,000 being dealt at two-box with £10,000 on the table.

Of course, Wilf comes under much less criticism because his proveout went mainly in his favour, but it was a WORSE deal than Richard, dealing £20,000 with the top 7 still in play, but which one comes under fire more...

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:28 pm    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: Worst deal ever?

I think Richard's deal was definately HEAPS better than Dave from March this year who dealt at just £950 with the £35,000 on the board, imagine if he did have the £35k in his box, How painful would it be dealing for a blue amount and having a power-5 on the table! :shock: . £950 Dave would be a contender for the worst deal ever for me

Same with Rosie (Stood in W6 - Played August 23 last year) dealing for a mere £1,250 on a 5-box consisting of 4-blues/£50k (AND she had the chance to go one box at a time too!).

I think there was also a young woman (was it Grace?) whose deal was fairly similar to Rosie's. She dealt at £1,000 on at an 8-box consisting of 7-blues/£50k and along with the deal, she also turned down the chance to go a box at a time through the 5th round. Though i think her deal was through hurt from her game crashing the round before :(

Interesting how you mentioned Marie's game from January 2006 where Marie crashed from a powerful early board to a 4-figure OPL (And of course there was Melanie's game SIX years ago today where she dealt at £30k at 11-box and her game totally crashed in the proveouts ;) )

KP

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:08 am    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: Worst deal ever?
International Forums Moderator

I'd put Katie in this list even without hindsight as it was a less volatile board than Tolleck's or Rob's by some distance. It's certainly exactly the sort of decision I wanted to replace Rob's undeserved place in the Hall of Fame!

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:15 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: Worst deal ever?

I agree with you agree about Katie's especially as she dealt at £8k with £50k/£75k/£250k above it! (It was a very poor offer really. I've seen offers of £25k+ on that board, and i think Wayne from last month got offered £28k on a near identical board to Katie's! :shock:)

psychokiller

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:59 am    Author: psychokiller    Post subject: Re: Worst deal ever?

JamesJMH91 wrote:
I agree with you agree about Katie's especially as she dealt at £8k with £50k/£75k/£250k above it! (It was a very poor offer really. I've seen offers of £25k+ on that board, and i think Wayne from last month got offered £28k on a near identical board to Katie's! :shock:)

Yep, substitute the £1,000 for an extra blue and it was one and the same... poor Katie.

[ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]