Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:49 pm Last visit was: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:49 pm

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

cookie_monster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:09 pm    Author: cookie_monster    Post subject: STOP the sob stories, Deal or No Deal!

Warnings: 0

It appears that we're not the only ones that are noticing the increase in sob stories being shown. One or two, fine! One every other show, not fine! As Linda says it's boring... just say what their name is and open some boxes...

This was taken out of this weeks TV Quick.

Tom

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:13 pm    Author: Tom    Post subject:

So you'd rather people be like robots, huh?

cookie_monster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:16 pm    Author: cookie_monster    Post subject:

Tom wrote:
So you'd rather people be like robots, huh?

I wouldn't, but she obviously does...

Aaron Brock

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:20 pm    Author: Aaron Brock    Post subject:

Well, with the number of sob stories recently, It'd make a nice change... :?

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:22 pm    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject:

Yes, there's nothing wrong with people getting emotional occasionally during a game but not always at the start with illness/relatives etc.

Tom

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:22 pm    Author: Tom    Post subject:

I understand that sometimes they can get a bit repetitive but if you removed the "human" element of the show and just focused on the boxes, then it would be worse...

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:23 pm    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject:

OK but 'good characters' can do the job.

Tom

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:27 pm    Author: Tom    Post subject:

alexandercbrown wrote:
OK but 'good characters' can do the job.

Oh yeah definitely.

Craig

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:33 pm    Author: Craig    Post subject:

Well, before like in Rons games (cant remember which Ron, but it was the game with the £10 million reached!) it was a brilliant game because of the story to it, where he won £20,000 and even i got emotional because you could see how much it meaned to him and it was such a great ending...

...But now every game has got a sob story basically, and its just not very exciting anymore, Peters and Olgas games where good because i just wanted the money for them as they needed it!

The game has just gotten a bit depressing now with people crying at the start of there games, if they cry then fine their human they are aloud to...but cant they edit it out! Im not being mean but it does get a bit boring after months of it!

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:35 pm    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject:

Yeah in the past it was alright occasionally if the contestant was trying to get money for a friend or something, recently its been too much though.

basicasic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:57 pm    Author: basicasic    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

I agree 100% with that letter. I watch DOND hopefully for some uplifting entertainment. Not to wallow in other people's misery day after day. And if Endemol think that sob-stories make a game-show which is based on luck, greed and gambling more worthy then they're sadly mistaken.

Thankfully the sob stories have dropped off considerably recently though we still plenty of tears. Just before Christmas was beyond a joke. Orry's game was the nadir of grotesque self-indulgence and look how it turned out.

Ghastly.

KP

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:05 pm    Author: KP    Post subject:
International Forums Moderator

Savour the moment. Basicasic criticises a player who went all the way including No Deals of £41,000 and (on an all-or-peanuts finish) £25,000.

Anyway, I'm not sure how much I agree with it. Simply 'get on with it'? Not necessarily. But we've surely gone too far.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Power5

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:06 pm    Author: Power5    Post subject:

The rise and rise of this element of the show definitely played a part in my loss of enthusiasm for it - it's a game show not a chat show, the humour and getting to know the contestants is fine but being a gambling game I don't think it's a particularly good vehicle for people with that kind of story to tell. That's why I didn't like the idea behind the Christmas Star shows and didn't watch them, apart from the last part of one of them.

It also detracts from gameplay, it's no coincidence that a lot of them are "take £15k and run" players. They need to select contestants on personality and getting a mix of attitudes to risk, rather than on their story.

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:23 pm    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject:

Power5 wrote:

It also detracts from gameplay, it's no coincidence that a lot of them are "take £15k and run" players. They need to select contestants on personality and getting a mix of attitudes to risk, rather than on their story.

agree with this, it's been awful lately. God knows if endemol wants to change that though.

I thought they should be picking analysts/gamblers to play this game. :?

SrWilson

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:06 am    Author: SrWilson    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

Too many sob stories now and they ruin the games in general as you know a cop out is innevitable.

SOB STORYS STOPPED? = DEAL!

Proud founder of WILSONISM = the real way to play and the term SOS for the show!

h2005

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:09 am    Author: h2005    Post subject:
Administrator & Global Moderator

I don't like sob stories on DOND, but they're not as bad / frequent as they were in December 2007. However, they could easily edit out all the crying etc., and they seem to be actively editing it in, which I find a bit silly... :?

Tom

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:59 pm    Author: Tom    Post subject:

basicasic wrote:
I agree 100% with that letter. I watch DOND hopefully for some uplifting entertainment. Not to wallow in other people's misery day after day. And if Endemol think that sob-stories make a game-show which is based on luck, greed and gambling more worthy then they're sadly mistaken.

Thankfully the sob stories have dropped off considerably recently though we still plenty of tears. Just before Christmas was beyond a joke. Orry's game was the nadir of grotesque self-indulgence and look how it turned out.

Ghastly.

Orry's was an amazing game, which i think was just made it more painful by the fact that the box meant so much to him.

cookie_monster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:13 pm    Author: cookie_monster    Post subject:

Tom wrote:
basicasic wrote:

Ghastly.

Orry's was an amazing game, which i think was just made it more painful by the fact that the box meant so much to him.

Everyone had their own opinions. Personally, I found Orry too much both in the wings and in his game.

Tom

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:23 pm    Author: Tom    Post subject:

cookie_monster wrote:
Tom wrote:
basicasic wrote:

Ghastly.

Everyone had their own opinions. Personally, I found Orry too much both in the wings and in his game.

Exactly. Same sort of applies to Bunney [slightly off topic i know].

CrazyChair

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:50 pm    Author: CrazyChair    Post subject:

Whenever I hear a really good sob story on DOND, the alarm bells always start ringing, as it generally signals a blue win.

[ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]