Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:46 pm Last visit was: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:46 pm

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:15 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: The end of Deal or No Deal......

Warnings: 0
A part of me would rather the show just be gone forever rather than waiting well over 6 months for it to return in late October. The show has had a fantastic decade long+ run and since it's pretty much been in the pipeline to finish for the last 12 months, a part of me wishes for DoND to just end ASAP. The constant breaks for horse-racing, double trouble specials and months off air at a time due to summer breaks isn't really doing much besides dragging out the final run as much as possible IMO

Plus, David's game would've been a great way to finish the show's run :smt023

selv

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:56 am    Author: selv    Post subject: Re: The end of Deal or No Deal......

For their very,very,very,definately the Last show,it would be great to have the few of us left on our forum (which isn't a lot) then made up of the normal ones from this forum :ponder: :suspect: :eyes: ,would love to meet some of you guys to see if you know how to play the game real time, instead of playing on here at 3-00am by pushing buttons and falling asleep in the process :lol: :lol: ;) love you all really (except Archie) :smt023 :smt023

cfd

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:34 pm    Author: cfd    Post subject: Re: The end of Deal or No Deal......

I've thought for a while it could do with being more of a prime time show. Lose the weekday episodes and make it the occasional 6 episode run. Add in quiz elements similar to the Netherlands version, increase the prize money, make the sense more fancy.

It'd be completely different to how it is now but the current incarnation has run its course a bit. Make it more "event" television.

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:27 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: The end of Deal or No Deal......

A suggestion of mine would be to bring back the weekend shows on a Saturday night, make the weekday shows a 45 minute format and keep the original 22-box format, but use box 23 and hour-long format on the prime time shows

daniel123

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:09 am    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: The end of Deal or No Deal......
Forum Games Moderator

Interesting idea, from which spawns this: prime time, yeah, but only once a week.

Like WWTBAM (remember that one? show and abbreviation), and in a similar kind of fashion re wingers. One person picked at random - genuinely at random, though - with 21 other people from wherever, plucked to appear on the programme as wingers but only for this purpose. You know, not so much the 15 minutes of fame as the odd few seconds, like extras. But not actors here, people appearing as themselves.

An hour, hour or so. Time to get to know the player, know what makes them tick, what strategies they might have, a bit of a laugh and a joke - all that usual padding-type stuff. Nonsense, basically ;) .

The game takes place as it would anyway, with a few breaks as required, but the studio remains as much the same as it possibly can.

The intimate feeling we knew before is restored; audience members in black, their heads peeping above the velvet parapets, scything through the tension like a knife through butter.

I think a daily schedule would be too much, and it may be what's contributed to DoND's decline more than anything, depending on how you see it.
Just thought I'd put another idea out there... :P

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:25 pm    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: The end of Deal or No Deal......

Le Banquier in my native Quebec has managed to stay on the air for nearly a decade because they broadcast a limited season of about 10 episodes every fall. It didn't start that way, though; in the early days, it aired on Wednesdays at 7 PM. But in recent years, it's aired on Sunday nights at 7:30 PM with a 90-minute timeslot.

The reason why they've managed to last so long and become one of the highest-rated shows in Quebec is because they avoid overexposure as much as possible. The shorter seasons help to keep the show fresh and relevant, which has helped to keep it alive for so long.

Hostess and producer Julie Snyder may have her own skewed ways of producing the show - although she is quite good at hosting it - but she's no fool. She looked at the ill-fated American version and sought to correct some of the mistakes it made, one of the biggest of which was the fact that it aired five nights a week for most of its run. That is what essentially killed that show.

Deal USA eventually went into syndication with a half-hour daily version after the "mothership" show on NBC left the air, but that version only lasted a year, despite keeping the same host. People were tired of it and the audience had eroded significantly. Plus, the fact that some networks opted to air Deal and other syndicated game shows in the wee hours of the morning didn't help the situation.

mr_northern_guy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:33 pm    Author: mr_northern_guy    Post subject: Re: The end of Deal or No Deal......

I like the ideas of having "Christmas Stars" specials every year (or some variant thereof) - deserving people (ie charity workers, community lovers etc) playing to win money to "thank" them for their work.

Dizdazdoz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:21 pm    Author: Dizdazdoz    Post subject: Re: The end of Deal or No Deal......

I feel as I have said before, the switch to 1 hour shows, followed by time switch then adding box 23 and the button killed DOND.

Would have a chance of surviving if they went back to basic's. 45 min shows, runs of maybe 45 episodes 3x a year and then have special xmas episodes as said above for charity workers or such like.

Always baffles me why when they have a successful formula that brings in regular viewers why they mess around with it, it doesn't normally bring in new viewers but has the opposite effect of losing loyal ones.

Simon F

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 5:30 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: The end of Deal or No Deal......

Perhaps not completely dead after all (if you believe Mr Edmonds)

http://noel.world/deal-or-no-deal/

BankerSpanker

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:34 pm    Author: BankerSpanker    Post subject: Re: The end of Deal or No Deal......

Quote:
Yes, there will be more Deals but in the tradition of my long TV career we will surprise you with something very different and something I’ve always wanted to do with this extraordinary format.

Box 24? :lol:

Fan of classic rock and metal

American Coupon Boy

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 4:20 pm    Author: American Coupon Boy    Post subject: Re: The end of Deal or No Deal......

BankerSpanker wrote:
Quote:
Yes, there will be more Deals but in the tradition of my long TV career we will surprise you with something very different and something I’ve always wanted to do with this extraordinary format.

Box 24? :lol:

It says "something VERY different", and at this point bonus boxes are not something very different to the UK Deal format. ;)

The next series begins immediately after the premiere of the Deal or No Deal revival.

h2005

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:39 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: The end of Deal or No Deal......
Administrator & Global Moderator

I wonder what this is about... maybe some live shows on a Friday evening or something? After all, live TV is what Noel is best at!

daniel123

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 2:27 am    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: The end of Deal or No Deal......
Forum Games Moderator

Reverse Undeal: if you've accepted the Banker's Gamble but had second thoughts, press the red button on your right to take back the money you gave back to the Banker and run.

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

matthew17

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:21 pm    Author: matthew17    Post subject: Re: The end of Deal or No Deal......

h2005 wrote:
I wonder what this is about... maybe some live shows on a Friday evening or something? After all, live TV is what Noel is best at!

I'm thinking this maybe as well, couldn't see it working well though, some of the contestants take their time making decisions and if the show was running short of time on a live episode the contestant would have to be rushed into making a decision...

BankerSpanker

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 3:41 pm    Author: BankerSpanker    Post subject: Re: The end of Deal or No Deal......

They've done live shows before. What made this different to a normal episode was that they had a time limit meaning you couldn't spend too long considering an offer.

Fan of classic rock and metal

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:32 pm    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: The end of Deal or No Deal......

Looks like our "favourite" game show will be getting a last hurrah of sorts. According to the show's official Facebook page, which has become inundated with people asking when Deal will return, it appears that the last bunch of recorded episodes will "be airing later in the year."

I imagine this will keep the show alive for another couple of months at most, as I'm unsure how many episodes remain. The ill-fated U.S. version also pulled a similar disappearing act for an extended period of time, only to return later when interest in the show had effectively disappeared. The last few primetime episodes were then aired on NBC, after which the focus shifted to the short-lived and equally terrible daily syndicated version. After the extended absence from Channel 4, I imagine the show will effectively be in burnoff mode, and once the un-aired episodes air, the show will be finished for good.

It's also important to note that several episodes of the NBC primetime edition of Deal never saw the light of day, as they were deemed by the producers to not be "interesting" enough. This means that the contestants involved were not screaming, brainless people. I imagined they received their winnings, though. One was eventually posted on NBC's official website for the show as a "lost" episode. I never saw it due to geoblocking laws, but apparently, it was largely forgettable rubbish. I think the number of Deal UK shows that never aired are far fewer in number.

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:47 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: The end of Deal or No Deal......

From what i've read here, DoND will be off until late October (which will make it an almost 7-month break, as the show has been in limbo since Early April!) before it returns to air the final 40+ episodes. So it will make it past the 11th anniversary, but I think there is a slight chance of the show barely making it into 2017 before the final curtain call (Of course, that depends on how many breaks they take for horse-racing telecasts, and i assume they will be taking a break over Christmas IF there are shows still left to air at that point)

I should really quote my most recent post in the 'What killed DoND?' thread:

Quote:
To be fair, i think they should really just get the show over with ASAP and i don't think it's really doing itself any favours by taking a break until late October (!) to air the final 40+ episodes before finishing for good.

The only valid reason they could be taking an almost-7 month break is to give us an idea of what life without DoND is like, but really, it's not doing anything besides dragging out the final run as much as possible

I kind of think it'd be better if DoND never comes back and they just leave it at David's game, his game had a very sweet victory so that'd be a nice enough way to end the series.

Why keep going to the end of the road if you've passed all the scenic stuff and must-see tourist attractions, and what's left ahead is just an unformed track which is riddled with potholes and traverses through a flat, baron landscape of dead trees, tumbleweeds and animal carcuses half-eaten by vultures, before coming to an unceremonious dead end in the smack-bang middle of nowhere :smt023

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:39 pm    Author: Mark    Post subject: Re: The end of Deal or No Deal......

I think there may be one more special week of shows still to come but I've no idea what it is if there is any.

johnr

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:27 pm    Author: johnr    Post subject: Re: The end of Deal or No Deal......

Anyone for Noel's new (pilot) auction *cough swap shop cough* show?

http://www.sroaudiences.com/application ... ow_id=1750

Interestingly to be filmed in the Bottle Yard studios too

[ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]