Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 11:21 am Last visit was: Fri May 03, 2024 11:21 am

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » General Discussion » Sports DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 6 posts ] 

Ciara

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:37 am    Author: Ciara    Post subject: Predictions for 2007/2008 Season

Location: Caught beneath the landslide in a champagne supernova in the sky
Warnings: 0
Time to put your money where your mouth is folks!

Trophies

1. Premiership Champions

2. FA Cup Winners

3. League Cup Winners

Teams

1. Overachievers

2. Underachievers

3. Relegation Beckoning

Players/Managers

1. Premiership Golden Boot Winner

2. Player Of The Year

3. Young Player Of The Year

4. Most Astute Transfer

5. Worst Transfer Flop

6. 3 players you expect to raise the level of their game

7. 3 players you expect to have surprisingly disappointing seasons

8. 3 players you think will have 'breakout' seasons (akin to Q.6, but more focused on younger/unheralded players)

9. First Managerial Casualty

Europe

1. La Liga

2. Serie A

3. Ligue 1

4. Eredivisie

5. Bundesliga

6. Champions League

7. UEFA Cup

Member of the Noel's Beard Fanclub.

Ciara

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:38 am    Author: Ciara    Post subject:

Location: Caught beneath the landslide in a champagne supernova in the sky
Trophies

1. Premiership Champions
Chelsea. I think Mourinho will have learned lessons from last season - i.e. 4-5-1 with genuine width is their best, so I expect them to be a lot better than last season.

2. FA Cup Winners
Everyone takes this seriously but one of the top 4 will triumph, IMO. I'm going to go with United - Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez etc... - too much fire power.

3. League Cup Winners
Chelsea's second string is better than anyone else's.

Teams

1. Overachievers
Arsenal - I think they'll finish in the top 4! On a more serious note, I am going to go with Spurs. I honestly think they have what it takes to break into the top 4 - whether they will or not depends on the fitness of Bent and Berbatov, as well as key defensive members. Portsmouth should improve on last season too but perhaps too predictable - they've spent big.

2. Underachievers
Bolton is an easy option - everyone expects them to plummet under Sammy Lee. I think they'll be floating around midtable come the end of the season. I think Reading will struggle this year - don't see them finishing higher than midtable, if at all.

3. Relegation Beckoning
Sunderland, Wigan and Derby. In Derby and Sunderland's cases, that it based purely on ignorance. Wigan are doomed, IMO.

Players/Managers

Was going to go with Drogba but just remembered he will be at the ACON. There's no-one that stands out after that, though you can make cases for Lampard, Ronaldo, Rooney and Berbatov. I'll go with Rooney.

2. Player Of The Year
Joker Cole. He was going so well until injuries *beep* him up last season. Now he is back, I think he will put Chelsea back on track.

I'm going to go with Ronaldo again. I don't see him slowing down anytime soon.

4. Most Astute Transfer
Santa Cruz at Blackburn could be interesting to watch, especially paired alongside McCarthy. I think he will be a good signing but 'astute' would suggest minimal fees/good bargains/relatively unknown/unusual signings who will come good. For us, I think Voronin will be a good buy - I think he will outscore Kuyt and Torres. Tuncay at Middlesbrough could be another. Distin at Portsmouth is too easy - good defender and free.

5. Worst Transfer Flop
Jason Koumas at Wigan - £5 million? Won't be able to do anything to save them from the drop. Bellamy at West Ham to flop too.

Steven Gerrard - had a disappointing campaign last time round, I'm expecting much bigger things from him this season - including more goals. I want 15+. I would expect Ashley Cole to regain some kind of form this season, especially with Wayne Bridge looking like a footballer again.

Lastly, I am going to go with Ledley King - there's definite pressure on Spurs this season, a lot are tipping them to get a hell of a lot closer to the top 4 and if they are to do that, they need King to have his best season yet. I don't really buy into the fuss with King, I think Dawson is the better defender. I like to see Spurs do well, and think they will this season, so he needs to be consistent (and fit).

This is a hard one. I don't expect Lampard's form (at club level) to dip much, if at all. The set up at Chelsea as made for him. With Essien and Mikel around him, he'll be free to get forward. So I'll go with Gareth Barry, Kevin Doyle and Andy Johnson.

8. 3 players you think will have 'breakout' seasons (akin to Q.6, but more focused on younger/unheralded players)
Jon Obi Mikel to establish himself as one of Chelsea's first choice midfielders and oust Makelele. Matt Derbyshire at Blackburn - hard to get into the team ahead of McCarthy and Santa Cruz but it'll be a nice problem for Hughes. I was going to go with Lucas at Liverpool, but I see it hard for him to get a game with so much quality infront of him, so I'll go with Anichebe at Everton.

Chris Hutchings

Europe

1. La Liga
Barcelona

2. Serie A
AC Milan

3. Ligue 1
Lyon - don't they win it most years? Don't know anything about Ligue 1.

4. Eredivisie
Ditto. I'll go with PSV.

5. Bundesliga
Bayern Munich.

6. Champions League
Barcelona.

7. UEFA Cup
Bayern Munich

Member of the Noel's Beard Fanclub.

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:21 am    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject:

Trophies

1. Premier League Champions
Mourinho has vowed to take life at Chelsea far more seriously, and that is the hardest challenge for any manager who plays a part in the Premier League. But if he can do it, Chelsea should win the League. If not, Manchester United should retain the title. Liverpool will do well to finish in the top four, and the obvious clash of the North London clubs will decide the fourth Champions League spot, I reckon!

2. FA Cup Winners
I'd love to say Manchester United, but what if a side like Tottenham were to do well? Certainly makes you wonder, doesn't it?

3. League Cup Winners
Chelsea just can't stop playing well in the League Cup - but Arsenal will go far again with their traditional cup runs with youngsters.

Teams

1. Overachievers
Sunderland - a big claim I know but with Keano at the helm, anything is possible! He hasn't half impressed in the transfer market either - Kieran Richardson should be a very good signing! I will actually back Sunderland to finish mid-table because I like Roy Keane - he has the mind of a great manager!

2. Underachievers
Bolton may struggle under Sammy Lee, but also coz they have more games this season as they're back in Europe.
Reading won't suffer from Second Season Syndrome - I think they'll maintain their form coz the squad isn't changing much so they'll still play extremely well together.

3. Relegation Beckoning
Wigan's squad is starting to come along, but it won't be the players' fault they'll go down - Chris Hutchings just isn't ready for Premier League management yet.
I can't see Derby County staying up - they'll do well to score goals but the only reason they're in the Premier League is the same reason Watford were last season - they have an excellent young manager at the helms.
I think Manchester City may make or break; if they break they go down - but if not Man City, then definitely Fulham. Sounds hard for me to say the latter but they just don't have the strength of a sqaud to safely survive in the Premier League - these last few seasons has just been luck and having good managers at the helm.

Players/Managers

1. Premier League Golden Boot Winner
Can't be Drogba or McCarthy because of the African Cup of Nations so I will say Dimitar Berbatov - a big ask, I know but he knows how to score goals! I can't see Rooney scoring 20 yet but he will do well to score his fair share.

2. Player Of The Year
Dimitar Berbatov or Joe Cole - the latter is a star player when he plays to his best, like in the 2006 World Cup.

No-one is going to even come close to emulating Cristiano Ronaldo any time soon - Joe Cole who I think comes closest in terms of skill, he's nowhere near his standard!

4. Most Astute Transfer
Roque Santa Cruz without a doubt - he scored absolute belters at Bayern Munich! Apart from that, although he cost a fair bit, I will also say Valeri Bojinov who joined Manchester City.

5. Worst Transfer Flop
Well I'm very tempted to say Diomansy Kamara because IMO I think he joined the wrong club. Having said that, he may do well to live tp his £6million price tag.
I will go with Craig Bellamy - although the thought of him playing upfront alongside Dean Ashton is mouth-watering, I doubt Bellamy will fit in as easily as everyone thinks he will.

I agree with Ciara, Steven Gerrard wasn't happy with his performance last season, and he will do well to make himself proud this season.
At his age, Dimitar Berbatov will surely get even better, and the same with Benni McCarthy.

Dave Nugent - he may struggle to up his game. Although I must say he's showing good form in the pre-season friendlies.
Ryan Giggs will really have to up his game as he is no longer guaranteed a first-team place - I think he may struggle this year.
And Steve Sidwell may take time to gel in with the new style of football he will experience at Chelsea.

Matt Derbyshire at Blackburn - what a season he had last year! With injury out of the way, it's time for Theo Walcott to show his true form and partner van Persie upfront - what a formidable pairing they'd be!
And then I'm very tempted to say Fernando Torres, but I'll be safer betting on Nani for Manchester United.

I would normally say Chris Hutchings, but Dave Whelan is a very patient man - is why I like him a lot! Same for Billy Davies; he'll be given time as well. But I do think it will be one of them - can't decide though!

Europe

1. La Liga
Barcelona HAVE to win it with all their star forwards now!

2. Serie A
Juventus will regain their full glory this season.

3. Ligue 1
Lyon. Always. Win. It.

4. Eredivisie
Ajax only just missed out last year on goal difference - but I still reckon PSV Eindhoven will do it again!

5. Bundesliga
Here's hoping FC Bayern can make up for last year - Kahn's final year as well!

6. Champions League
If Torres can adapt quickly, I will say Liverpool; if not, United to finally break their European curse.

7. UEFA Cup
Bayern Munich definitely, they don't belong in the UEFA Cup.

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

Tom22

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:34 am    Author: Tom22    Post subject:

Trophies

1. Premiership Champions
Man U, I sort of hope it's them Chelsea winning isnt good...

2. FA Cup Winners
Liverpool

3. League Cup Winners
Chelsea

Also

Championship
Southampton

League 1
Notts Forest

League 2
Shrewsbury.... please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please
Teams

1. Overachievers
West Ham, yes I know risky but I think their in for a good season

2. Underachievers
Everton

3. Relegation Beckoning
Sunderland, Wigan and Derby.

Players/Managers

Rooney

Europe

1. La Liga
Real Madrid

2. Serie A
A.C. Milan

3. Ligue 1
Marsielle

4. Eredivisie
Ajax

5. Bundesliga
Bayern Munich

6. Champions League
Man U

7. UEFA Cup
Villareal

Solskjaer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:53 pm    Author: Solskjaer    Post subject:

Trophies

1. Premiership Champions
Manchester United

2. FA Cup Winners
Chelsea

3. League Cup Winners
Chelsea

Teams

1. Overachievers
Aston Villa

2. Underachievers
Bolton

3. Relegation Beckoning
Derby, Birmingham and Wigan.

Players/Managers

Drogba

2. Player Of The Year
Ronaldo

Ronaldo

4. Most Astute Transfer
David Nugent

5. Worst Transfer Flop
Fernando Torres - Big Shout but he's not worth all the money.

Wayne Rooney, Ballack and Michael Owen

Anelka, Saha and Crouch.

Walcott, Van Persie and James Vaughan

Chris Hutchings

Europe

1. La Liga
Barcelona

2. Serie A
Inter Milan

3. Ligue 1
Lyon

4. Eredivisie
Ajax

5. Bundesliga
Bayern Munich.

6. Champions League
AC Milan

7. UEFA Cup
Bayern Munich

Will

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:41 pm    Author: Will    Post subject:

Trophies

1. Premiership Champions
I'm afraid I can't see past Chelsea... I think Mourinho will have learnt some lessons last season and will be well up for the fight this time around.

2. FA Cup Winners
Liverpool. I think they'll get a trophy this season and this is the one they're most likely to take seriously.

3. League Cup Winners
My heart says Newcastle United but my head is saying Arsenal.

4. Championship
West Brom will bounce back after their play-off defeat... perhaps. Wolves, Sheff Utd and Charlton will run them close.

5. League One
Nottingham Forest I think.... Can't see past them.

6. League Two
MK Dons I think. Peterborough and Bradford perhaps as outsiders. (Shrewsbury might make the play-offs Tom!)

Teams

1. Overachievers
Aston Villa might surprise a few people this season... Martin O'Neill's been pretty astute in the transfer market and I fancy them to do OK this season. They hammered Inter Milan yesterday in a friendly!!

2. Underachievers
Got to agree with everyone else here, Bolton are going to miss Big Sam's tactical nous.

3. Relegation Beckoning
Derby County just aren't strong enough to stay up I'm afraid. I think Wigan are doomed, they struggled last time and any team with Titus Bramble on the books is going to do badly! It's between The Mackems and Birmingham for the final place, I'll give it to Birmingham though.

Players/Managers

Oooh... I reckon Cristiano Ronaldo might get it. Rooney, Drogba, Berbatov will all run him close though. Van Persie for an outside bet.

2. Player Of The Year
Probably Cristiano Ronaldo again, he's easily the best player in the league, if not Europe (if not the world)

Gotta be the Portuguese winker again.

4. Most Astute Transfer
Being biased, I think Viduka on a free will help boost Newcastle's goal scoring record. He has a great record whereever he goes. Florent Malouda and Claudio Pizzaro will make the Chelski even stronger too... gulp.

5. Worst Transfer Flop
Can't see Torres doing that well. It often takes foreign players a year or two to settle into the English game, and for all that money....

This is difficult... I think Michael Owen will have a good season (if he stays fit, it's hard to perform well when you're out injured though :S)

Gabriel Agbonlahor at Villa is set to come out firing on all cylinders this season I think. He had a good season last time round and I expect him to do even better this time.

Michael Ballack has had time to settle in now so he should do much better than last season.

I think David Nugent and Michael Chopra will struggle to make the leap from Championship to Premiership. I can't believe ex-Magpie Chopra has gone to Sunderland... Unbelievable.
I think everyone was surprised with Matty Taylor last season... I can't see him banging in quite as many long range goals as before. I am struggling to think of someone else in case you hadn't guessed.

Emmanuel Adebayor at Arsenal will have a tough job to fill Henry's boots but he has the raw potential to do so.

Sticking with Arsenal, Theo Walcott will be amazing when he plays.

I'm tempted to say Van Persie but I don't want to pick all three players from the Gunners so....

Charles N'Zogbia is awesome... if he gets a chance to shine at St. James' I reckon he'll surprise a lot of people.

I agree with the masses, Chris Hutchings

Europe

1. La Liga
Barcelona

2. Serie A
AC Milan (I'd like it to be AS Roma, but it won't be)

3. Ligue 1
Lyon

4. Eredivisie
Ajax of Amsterdam (just to be different)

5. Bundesliga
Bayern Munich.

6. Champions League
AC Milan

7. UEFA Cup
Bayern Munich (They're way too good for this competition)

Phew that took ages, but it was good fun.

[ 6 posts ] 
Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » General Discussion » Sports DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]