Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:47 am Last visit was: Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:47 am

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

basicasic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:32 pm    Author: basicasic    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

Warnings: 0
http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/ ... sp1-flunks

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/03/19/2112253

http://itnews.com.au/News/72401,windows ... plain.aspx

The Vista debacle continues much as usual as far as I can see.

alexb7873

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:04 am    Author: alexb7873    Post subject:

vista definitely pwns xp

jivealex

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:57 am    Author: jivealex    Post subject:

alexb7873 knows his stuff, i think he should be reinstated as a user as im sure he was only having a laugh

h2005

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:33 am    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Windows Vista
Administrator & Global Moderator

I have to say my opninion of Vista has increased considerably since I turned off even more of the extra crap that comes with it. The first thing is the Search Indexer - great it seems, a program which indexes all your files to generate quicker searches. Well no, because it does it the whole time, even if you're using resource-hogging programs such as photo editors, the Search Indexer is still in the background working away and hogging valuable resources which the photo editor (for example) can't use. So I turned it off and got warnings about how my searches may be slower. Boo hoo. I rarely use the search facility anyway and whenever I do it says stuff hasn't been indexed anyway despite the Search Indexer indexing everything. :?

The second thing is Superfech. Again great on face value - a program which gets to know what programs you use often so automatically pre-loads them into the memory so they're quicker to open. This is only useful if you open / close things often (which I don't - I tend to open something and leave it open for hours while I'm using it). Also it means memory is used up by pre-opening these programs and if you often use resource-hogging programs it'll pre-load them and hog the memory!

Since turning these 2 buggers off, I have noticed a vast improvement in performance! So if your Vista is running a bit slow and you're a geek like me who often uses resource-hogging programs such as photo editors, do a search on Google for "search indexer" and "Superfetch" - although I'm not responsible if you mess anything up... :lol: :P Oh and something else is the "Return to Sleep Mode After a Certain Amount Of Time" facility - why would you want the computer to return to sleep if you get it to automatically wake up? :ponder:

basicasic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:23 pm    Author: basicasic    Post subject: Re: Windows Vista
Permanently Banned

h2005 wrote:
I have to say my opninion of Vista has increased considerably since I turned off even more of the extra crap that comes with it. The first thing is the Search Indexer - great it seems, a program which indexes all your files to generate quicker searches. Well no, because it does it the whole time, even if you're using resource-hogging programs such as photo editors, the Search Indexer is still in the background working away and hogging valuable resources which the photo editor (for example) can't use. So I turned it off and got warnings about how my searches may be slower. Boo hoo. I rarely use the search facility anyway and whenever I do it says stuff hasn't been indexed anyway despite the Search Indexer indexing everything. :?

The second thing is Superfech. Again great on face value - a program which gets to know what programs you use often so automatically pre-loads them into the memory so they're quicker to open. This is only useful if you open / close things often (which I don't - I tend to open something and leave it open for hours while I'm using it). Also it means memory is used up by pre-opening these programs and if you often use resource-hogging programs it'll pre-load them and hog the memory!

Since turning these 2 buggers off, I have noticed a vast improvement in performance! So if your Vista is running a bit slow and you're a geek like me who often uses resource-hogging programs such as photo editors, do a search on Google for "search indexer" and "Superfetch" - although I'm not responsible if you mess anything up... :lol: :P Oh and something else is the "Return to Sleep Mode After a Certain Amount Of Time" facility - why would you want the computer to return to sleep if you get it to automatically wake up? :ponder:

The standard way to get any sort of performance out of Vista is to turn off all the crap. Its still sucks big time compared to XP but it is an improvement.

But it does beg the question 'if you turn off all the bells and whistles whats the point of Vista in the first place?'

h2005

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:40 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Windows Vista

basicasic wrote:
The standard way to get any sort of performance out of Vista is to turn off all the crap. Its still sucks big time compared to XP but it is an improvement.

But it does beg the question 'if you turn off all the bells and whistles whats the point of Vista in the first place?'

Exactly. What I do like about Vista is the improved Task Scheduler and improved Windows Explorer. I always thought it a bit odd that in XP, My Computer and Windows Explorer seemed to be seperate things, but they're more integrated with Vista and there are some handy features including easier transfer of files between folders. My laptop came with Vista when I bought it about a year ago and it serves me well (even better since I turned off Even More Vista Crap). I'm afraid I'm impatient with computers - if I click something I expect it to do it, not sit there thinking about it. Luckily I've got my laptop up to my speed now. High-end desktops should have no problems with Vista, but standard laptops struggle. I'm surprised they haven't launched "Windows Vista Laptop Edition" with all the advanced options removed altogether... I'm sure that'd be a good money spinner for them. I.e. re-launch XP with Vista's Windows Explorer and theme. ;)

basicasic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:00 pm    Author: basicasic    Post subject: Re: Windows Vista
Permanently Banned

h2005 wrote:
I'm surprised they haven't launched "Windows Vista Laptop Edition" with all the advanced options removed altogether... I'm sure that'd be a good money spinner for them. I.e. re-launch XP with Vista's Windows Explorer and theme. ;)

Haha. Microsoft have resurrected XP for the new netbook class of laptops (such as the Asus eeePC) as Vista just cannot compete with Linux (sleek and efficient) on low powered stuff. But they're virtually having to give it away to compete on price (Linux is free). Its that or lose this sector of the market altogether

cookie_monster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:56 pm    Author: cookie_monster    Post subject: Re: Windows Vista

I use XP and I think I'll continue to, even though my laptop is Vista Capable.

h2005

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:57 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Windows Vista

"Vista Compatible" (or capable) generally means "If you put Vista on here it'd be like dragging a donkey through a vat of treacle but it'd work". You're doing well in sticking with XP for now... :smt023

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:01 am    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject: Re: Windows Vista

Aren't they bringing out a new OS next year. Windows Vienna or something?

h2005

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:06 am    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Windows Vista

It seems Vienna is a codename for it... like Longhorn was a codename for Vista at one stage.

Wikipedia wrote:
As major feature work on Windows Vista wound down in early 2006, Blackcomb was renamed Vienna.[9] However, following the release of Windows Vista, it was confirmed by Microsoft on July 20, 2007 that "the internal name for the next version of the Windows Client OS"[3] is Windows 7, a name that had been reported by some sources months before.[9]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7

"Bill Veghte stated that Windows 7 will not have the kind of compatibility issues with Vista that Vista has with previous versions" - so in other words, Windows 7 is basically an XP version of Vista. :lol:

basicasic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:31 am    Author: basicasic    Post subject: Re: Windows Vista
Permanently Banned

h2005 wrote:
It seems Vienna is a codename for it... like Longhorn was a codename for Vista at one stage.

Wikipedia wrote:
As major feature work on Windows Vista wound down in early 2006, Blackcomb was renamed Vienna.[9] However, following the release of Windows Vista, it was confirmed by Microsoft on July 20, 2007 that "the internal name for the next version of the Windows Client OS"[3] is Windows 7, a name that had been reported by some sources months before.[9]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7

"Bill Veghte stated that Windows 7 will not have the kind of compatibility issues with Vista that Vista has with previous versions" - so in other words, Windows 7 is basically an XP version of Vista. :lol:

Its just been announced the release name for Windows 7 will be : Windows Disastra :)

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:27 pm    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject: Re: Windows Vista

Has anyone seen the new browser that Google have released - Google Chrome.

http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en-GB/features.html

Anyone plan on downloading it or just sticking with what you've got?

h2005

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:33 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Windows Vista

I'm generally a fan of everything Google does as it's really good.

But I don't think I'll be downloading their browser... I've just changed from IE to Firefox's latest version and looking at the features on Google's browser it doesn't seem too different from Firefox...

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:37 pm    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject: Re: Windows Vista

What exactly is the difference between IE and Firefox? I've seen it mentioned a lot over the net, but i've always used IE with generally no problems.

Jimmy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:41 pm    Author: Jimmy    Post subject: Re: Windows Vista
Global Moderator

I find Internet Explorer incredibly slow... I've customised firefox slightly to make it extremely convenient for me and there's no clutter like there seems to be in Internet Explorer. It's a case of getting used to it I suppose - everyone will have their own preference. Not sure I'd be too keen on a Google Browser though...

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:58 pm    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject: Re: Windows Vista

I've just downloaded that Google Chrome and it's certianlly faster than IE7. Though I did wonder where the members section of the forum went and the quick post feature went, but I didn't realise it had logged me out at first. :oops:

h2005

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:58 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Windows Vista

Jimmy wrote:
I find Internet Explorer incredibly slow... I've customised firefox slightly to make it extremely convenient for me and there's no clutter like there seems to be in Internet Explorer.

Same here. As Firefox is "open source" (I think that's what it's called :ponder: ) people have created add-ons for it and so on, most of which have been officially approved by Firefox (as far as I know) which makes it far more customisable than IE. Firefox seems much faster than IE in general too.

daniel123

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:51 am    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: Windows Vista
Forum Games Moderator

h2005 wrote:
Jimmy wrote:
I find Internet Explorer incredibly slow... I've customised firefox slightly to make it extremely convenient for me and there's no clutter like there seems to be in Internet Explorer.

Same here. As Firefox is "open source" (I think that's what it's called :ponder: ) people have created add-ons for it and so on, most of which have been officially approved by Firefox (as far as I know) which makes it far more customisable than IE. Firefox seems much faster than IE in general too.

Exactly. On the subject of IE being slow, I'm using IE now (on a Vista computer)and it took a minute (a whole 60 seconds, and a bit more) just to get from google to the main dond.co.uk page. And then half a minute to get to the forum index.
I think that's...quite slow.

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

h2005

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:28 am    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re:

alexb7873 wrote:
vista definitely pwns xp

Other way round!

Is anyone using the new Windows 7?

[ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]