Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 5:26 pm Last visit was: Fri May 03, 2024 5:26 pm

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 8 posts ] 

What was your preferred outcome?
A Conservative/Libdem coalition government 35%  35%  [ 5 ]
A minority Conservative government 21%  21%  [ 3 ]
A Labour/Libdem coalition government 21%  21%  [ 3 ]
Another general election in 2010 21%  21%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 14

rico7

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 1:41 pm    Author: rico7    Post subject: Hung Parliament Poll

Warnings: 0
With Britain's first hung parliament since 1974, what outcome would you like to see following the offers that the Conservatives and Labour made to The Liberal Democrats on May 7th to form a government? You can select two options.

h2005

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 3:44 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Hung Parliament Poll
Administrator & Global Moderator

I voted for a Lab/Lib coalition and/or another general election in 2010.

Liberal Democrats are traditionally left of centre, so it'd be against their own principles if they formed a coalition with the Tories. By the looks of it, Cameron's offer to Clegg won't be enough. The ideal situation (in my view) would be a Lib/Lab coalition, with potentially Gordon Brown stepping down as PM and someone like David Miliband becoming PM. Although my ideal scenario would be to see Brown stay on. :P

But perhaps there should be another General Election this year, in order to try and sort this mess out.

rico7

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 4:21 pm    Author: rico7    Post subject: Re: Hung Parliament Poll

Whoever forms the next government, we're likely to see another general election very soon! :D

rico7

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:33 pm    Author: rico7    Post subject: Re: Hung Parliament Poll

Gordon Brown seems to have played an ace card for Labour by offering to resign, it's going to be a difficult
decision now for Nick "kingmaker" Clegg! :D

h2005

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:57 am    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Hung Parliament Poll

I think Gordon Brown made the right decision to announce his intention of resignation when he did. He unfortunately doesn't have the backing of enough of the public, and even some senior figures within the Labour party seem to have lost confidence in him. Plus Clegg had already stated that he would rather not enter into a deal with Labour if Brown continued as PM. It'd have been foolish for him to resign last Friday (as some wanted him to do), as it's important to have a figure in charge during the negotiations.

I've spotted some newspapers tomorrow are criticising Brown for offering to resign; claiming that he's only doing it as a last-ditch attempt to put Labour back into power. Brown can't do anything right in the eyes of the papers! If he doesn't resign, then that's wrong; and seemingly, now he has stated his intention to resign, that's wrong too!

When the election took place, I expected a hung parliament to be the result, but I didn't expect negotiations to still be going on 5 days later! The fact that they're taking so long over it shows that any coalition or minority government would probably be unstable, so it's probably best if there's another election in 6 months or so, with the new leader of the Labour party doing the campaigning for Labour.

rico7

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 6:00 am    Author: rico7    Post subject: Re: Hung Parliament Poll

So a Tory/Libdem coalition government, but is it going to work, and for how long??

Jimmy

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:19 pm    Author: Jimmy    Post subject: Re: Hung Parliament Poll
Global Moderator

It is ridiculous to suggest we have another General Election this year. We're in deep trouble, and what this government are going to do people won't like one bit. I do notice Cameron is securing his new home for at least 5 years though - I'll be very surprised if they can stay 'in bed' with the Libs that long! Whatever happens, Gordon Brown is gone! I bet the staff at Downing Street couldn't believe their luck.

h2005

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:38 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Hung Parliament Poll

Well it looks like the media has got a bit bored of it all, now that things seem to be settling down and 'Nick n Dave' are getting to work. I expect the media will be whipped into a frenzy at the first signs of anything going wrong though.

It's emerged today that Gordon Brown was planning to announce, before the election, that he was intending to resign as leader of the Labour party within a year. However he was persuaded not to make that announcement by Mandelson and others, as they feared it'd make him a 'lame duck', which is what happened to Blair when he announced before the 2005 election that he didn't intend on staying for the whole term.

So my beloved Gordon wouldn't have lasted longer than a year even if he'd got back into power. :(

[ 8 posts ] 
Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]