Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 3:49 pm Last visit was: Fri May 03, 2024 3:49 pm

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 15 posts ] 

Tom22

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:54 pm    Author: Tom22    Post subject: A 20P CONUNDRUM!

Warnings: 0
FIND ALL YOUR 20P's! 200,000 were made last year without a date and the Mint Office are buying them back for £50 each!

First 10,000 to register only though...

(Oh and they are currently going for near £150 on eBay....)

3rd. Toms Shrews III 1221
Top Scorer this week - dondsters 147 Worst scorer this week - Adium United 33
Bottom - Hammond's Heroes 766
(After Gameweek 22)

Maud

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:58 pm    Author: Maud    Post subject: Re: A 20P CONUNDRUM!

I saw that on MSE aaages ago and have checked my 20ps since haha.

daniel123

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:57 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: A 20P CONUNDRUM!
Forum Games Moderator

Haha, this one makes me laugh.

I've had my experiences in the Numismatism business (coins), and I can guarantee that should you find a coin like that in your house, DO NOT return it to the Mint Office. That's a stupid thing to do. Put it away somewhere, wait thirty years - maybe even half that - for its value to increase, and there will be people out there willing to pay hundreds, no doubt thousands for something like this. Last time it happened was 1672 - and I'd hazard a guess that those items would be worth more than a good 3-bedroom house by now.

Of course, I do appreciate that not everyone will live to be 337 years of age tobe able to actually selloff the items at all. Henry Allingham might come close, but he's a very lucky old codger.

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

garylq

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:34 pm    Author: garylq    Post subject: Re: A 20P CONUNDRUM!

I have no idea why this is suddenly in the news now, I have known about this and been checking all my change for months, and I handle at least £20 worth of 20p coins on my milkround every week (without success!).

By the way, 'The London Mint Office' are a private company that have absolutely nothing to do with The Royal Mint, they are just trying to make the coins even more scarce than they already are and cash-in, hence their £50 scheme.

Tom22

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:07 pm    Author: Tom22    Post subject: Re: A 20P CONUNDRUM!

I never heard about this before but obviously they knew about it back last year when they changed over the stamps... but it was on Radio 2 this afternoon, on the BBC news website and in The Sun. Maybe not enough people heard about it before. :ponder:

3rd. Toms Shrews III 1221
Top Scorer this week - dondsters 147 Worst scorer this week - Adium United 33
Bottom - Hammond's Heroes 766
(After Gameweek 22)

Skyline

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:55 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: A 20P CONUNDRUM!
Forum Games Moderator

The only 20p I have has that blasted number 2008 on it. :(

kestral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:56 pm    Author: kestral    Post subject: Re: A 20P CONUNDRUM!
Site Owner, Administrator & Global Moderator

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53481 ... =824&kw=lg

20p coin sells for £5,800 on Ebay!

Not sure if this person will get the money, but you never know! Nice earner for 20p if they do though!

jivealex

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:47 am    Author: jivealex    Post subject: Re: A 20P CONUNDRUM!

very interesting

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=15116

garylq

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:30 pm    Author: garylq    Post subject: Re: A 20P CONUNDRUM!

I have been watching these coins on eBay for months, all of a sudden it has been flooded by people listing ordinary 20p coins using carefully worded listings trying to make a quick profit for a coin worth 20p (browse the coins category to see for yourself).

A few months ago the real error coins were going for around £100, recently they had dropped down to about £30 each, but now they have suddenly sky-rocketed to more than ever due to the publicity. Buyers paying the silly prices at the moment will undoubtedly make a loss in the long run.

Maud

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:11 pm    Author: Maud    Post subject: Re: A 20P CONUNDRUM!

Anyone here wanna buy my 20p??? Its very nice to look at and you can frame it... it was made in 1989 so it is vintage.... going for £20 a packet of monster munch

Daisy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:29 pm    Author: Daisy    Post subject: Re: A 20P CONUNDRUM!

I'll give you £19.89 and a half eaten tube of Hot & Spicy Pringles.

Move fast or I'll spend it on more crisps.

Sure, you can come up with just the right paragraph that would exactly and candidly reflect the precise emotional descriptors you wished to be utilized in communicating your ever present and meticulously cultivated thoughts. Or you can just swear.
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence and insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Daisyed & Confused
Proud receiver of Maudy hugs.

Maud

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:46 pm    Author: Maud    Post subject: Re: A 20P CONUNDRUM!

ooooh, u drive a hard bargain... ok... DEAL

jivealex

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:04 pm    Author: jivealex    Post subject: Re: A 20P CONUNDRUM!

i found 50 and am now a millionaire

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=15116

daniel123

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:41 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: A 20P CONUNDRUM!
Forum Games Moderator

No, my perverted friend. You are a Jivealex. Which is slang for "arsehole". Amongst other things.

Today I picked up a 20 pence coin from my wallet, and found that half of it had been painted bright red in acrylic paint. Made me wonder if it was now worth £20million just because it had something different on it. Evidently not...the shopkeeper at Co-op didn't give me £19,999,998.68 in change when I paid for my loaf this morning. He gave me 13p. The bugger.

But anyway, to draw a rather easy conclusion, I must say that this whole "£50 for your 20p's" polaver is about as true as the £2,000 Scrappage Scheme. It's no more useful either....in this day and age, £2,000 won't mean anything in the world of cars, and £50 won't mean anything in the world of....er, well, financial matters in general.

But I did spot a house on sale in Liverpool the other day for £14,750 ONO. The poor people must be desperate.

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

cookie_monster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:45 pm    Author: cookie_monster    Post subject: Re: A 20P CONUNDRUM!

That was a cheap loaf of bread if it cost 7p...

[ 15 posts ] 
Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]