Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:02 am Last visit was: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:02 am

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 17 posts ] 

clareclw1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:28 pm    Author: clareclw1    Post subject: Internet Providers

Warnings: 0
As some of you may know, lately AOL have enraged me so much I am now looking to change my internet service provider.

Has anybody got any recommendations for good service or tips for anyone to stay away from?

Ideally, I'd like to be able to have an account where my phone calls would be included and unlimited internet access.

I would be grateful for any advice any of you may have!
Cheers! :smt023

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:33 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: Internet Providers

I've been on BT for a while now - does the job well!

Loads of others on here are also on BT too

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

Tom22

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:35 pm    Author: Tom22    Post subject: Re: Internet Providers

Orange and the Livebox have served me well for a good 2 years now with no problems whatsoever. If you have Sky though you might want to get the whole TV, Broadband and Telephone package as it works out cheapest for most people.

3rd. Toms Shrews III 1221
Top Scorer this week - dondsters 147 Worst scorer this week - Adium United 33
Bottom - Hammond's Heroes 766
(After Gameweek 22)

h2005

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:51 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Internet Providers
Administrator & Global Moderator

AOL has gone down the drain since Carphone Warehouse took it over a while ago and moved everyone over to their crap servers. TalkTalk are also owned by CPW, so I'd steer clear of them too.

O2 and BeThere were supposed to be good but I've recently heard they're a victim of their own success, and are now suffering from congestion problems due to popularity. Not all exchanges can get O2 / BeThere though, anyway.

I've probably heard the least negative stuff about Orange and Sky actually - and as Tom22 says, Sky does a pretty good package for those who have Sky TV.

It also depends on the quality of your phone line, internal wiring, local exchange, wiring between your pole and the local exchange, and the quality of your router. But being with a crap ISP in the first place is a bit like polishing a turd and no matter how good your phone line is, if your ISP is crap, your internet will be too...

h2005

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:53 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Internet Providers

Oh and I've also heard BT are quite expensive and a lot of people are suffering speed issues with them too, but I don't know if those are just localised problems.

I think cable broadband is definitely the fastest and you can get pretty good packages with cable TV and internet - but I've also heard bad things about Virgin (one of the main cable suppliers) so it's difficult to know who to go for!

cookie_monster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:55 pm    Author: cookie_monster    Post subject: Re: Internet Providers

I use Virgin Media. Some people, like Lewis hate it, but it's rarely let me down.

Lewis246

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:58 pm    Author: Lewis246    Post subject: Re: Internet Providers

cookie_monster wrote:
I use Virgin Media. Some people, like Lewis hate it, but it's rarely let me down.

lol, surprisingly they haven't been that bad recently. Can't remember my connection going down in ages, although it did nearly every day in 2007...

h2005

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:59 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Internet Providers

Some good websites to have a look at are http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ which has details of ISPs, as well as ISP-specific forums so you can see what people are discussing about various ISPs.

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/ also has a handy feature where you can search for your local exchange and view details about it, as well as seeing which services are available in your area. It'll also tell you if your exchange is LLU-enabled - and if it is - then you can have access to many more ISPs than if it isn't.

clareclw1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:03 am    Author: clareclw1    Post subject: Re: Internet Providers

well thankyou all very much for your advice and help so far, it has helped me as I am really at the end of my tether with AOL!!! I think everyone who uses them should boycot them for them to realise what they are doing to us!!!

I will certainly be doing some research into everything you've all said, and will let you know what I find! Thanks for those addressed David, I'll have a good browse through those! :-D

collydolly

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:59 am    Author: collydolly    Post subject: Re: Internet Providers

I have been with Orange for many years through it's various guises and I find them OK, however I can see the exchange from here so that might help :D

jivealex

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:16 am    Author: jivealex    Post subject: Re: Internet Providers

aohell are poor as are talk talk

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=15116

Aaron Brock

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:23 pm    Author: Aaron Brock    Post subject: Re: Internet Providers

I was with Freeserve to begin with, and we've never changed: Freeserve changed to Wanadoo and now to Orange Broadband.

garylq

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:59 am    Author: garylq    Post subject: Re: Internet Providers

I have had 'free' TalkTalk broadband for about 3 years now. £21 (I think) for unlimited broadband and unlimited calls to landlines 24 hours a day, mobiles and premium rate calls are barred here (too many teenagers around), so I never pay extra. Have never had a problem, great value, so despite what others might say I can only recommend it.

jivealex

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:46 am    Author: jivealex    Post subject: Re: Internet Providers

i have talk talk and it is poor tbh

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=15116

Tom22

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:38 am    Author: Tom22    Post subject: Re: Internet Providers

Let the internet snobbery begin!

I have Orange so I look down on AOL and Tiscali but I look up to Vigin Media..

3rd. Toms Shrews III 1221
Top Scorer this week - dondsters 147 Worst scorer this week - Adium United 33
Bottom - Hammond's Heroes 766
(After Gameweek 22)

h2005

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:41 am    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Internet Providers

Hahaha, no surprises there that AOL is worse than all of the others.

cookie_monster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:37 pm    Author: cookie_monster    Post subject: Re: Internet Providers

I'm Virgin Media and I look down on everything. :twisted:

[ 17 posts ] 
Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]