Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 11:41 pm Last visit was: Sun May 05, 2024 11:41 pm

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close on 21 June 2024 (extended deadline). More info here.

Deal or No Deal will return for a new series later in 2024.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

The Jade Goody saga
Good 71%  71%  [ 10 ]
Bad 28%  28%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 14

Tom22

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:32 am    Author: Tom22    Post subject: One of them polls....

Warnings: 0
What do people think about the Jade Goody and the media storm going on at the moment?

Good or bad? Simple really...

3rd. Toms Shrews III 1221
Top Scorer this week - dondsters 147 Worst scorer this week - Adium United 33
Bottom - Hammond's Heroes 766
(After Gameweek 22)

Maud

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:40 am    Author: Maud    Post subject: Re: One of them polls....

Well you cant really say its bad, it's a rather newsworthy thing at the moment.

A 27 year old mum of 2 young boys is about to die of cancer, it makes you put your life under the microscope if your same kinda age... believe me.

My uncle has not long been diagnosed with colon cancer, he has been soo lucky and caught it early, he said he wouldnt have giot it checked out so soon if it wasnt for his MIL suddenly passing with it and all the media coverage of the importance of getting cancer scares checked out at the moment.

So yeah Maud thinks its a good thing, she is setting her kids up for a faaar better life then she ever had and if I have to her daily goings on rammed down my throat for her to achieve that then so be it.

h2005

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:42 am    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: One of them polls....
Administrator & Global Moderator

I'm not necessarily the world's biggest fan of Jade Goody's past adventures, but I was shocked and saddened by the news about her. I knew a while back she had cancer, but didn't realise how life-threatening it was until doctors gave her only a few months (now weeks, apparently) to live.

I think the way she's handling it all is brilliant, especially if it gets similar young people taking cancer more seriously. I saw an item on the news where a woman realised she had similar symptoms to Jade Goodt's, so decided to check it out and she was diagnosed with cervical cancer and is now being treated. If it hadn't been for Jade Goody then this woman's cancer may have gone unnoticed and she could've ended up dying at a young age.

If the publicity Jade Goody is getting at the moment has saved even one life, then surely it's a good thing.

Maud

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:44 am    Author: Maud    Post subject: Re: One of them polls....

Whats your views on it Tom?

Jimmy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:46 am    Author: Jimmy    Post subject: Re: One of them polls....
Global Moderator

Obviously I think that what is happening to her is absolutely awful and heaven knows what that must do to a person. She certainly has my utmost sympathy. In terms of the 'media storm', it is said to be a good thing as it has raised awareness nationally and this is what I believe Jade Goody has aimed to do. I think more cases like this should be made public so people are aware of this. Basically yes, it is a good idea to publicise these types of stories. Screenings have already gone up as a result of this 'media storm' so that is a positive outcome. I am sure she is also probably an inspiration to other sufferers of the disease.

Tom22

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:47 am    Author: Tom22    Post subject: Re: One of them polls....

Well I really cant see how people can find an argument against it... I have heard and seen mutterings that it's all publicity celeb culture nonsense and should be stopped which just is wrong really...

They reckon that the amount of smear tests have almost doubled from normal levels since it was announced Jade had cancer and more younger people are talking about it and having tests now. The added factor that she is setting her kids up for life and I think there was some cancer charity money in there as well. It can only be good surely?

(After Gameweek 22)

Maud

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:56 am    Author: Maud    Post subject: Re: One of them polls....

Ok Im really trying not to snigger at Tom saying smear test.

Well in all fairness a smear test is one of the most undignified things a woman will go through in her life, and it's not just once, you have to have loads.

Jade went for them and had quite alot of scares so I hear, they when she was told to come back in for more tests she didnt, and I dont think people can say then she only has herself to blame as tbh its scary stuff, my aunt who is made outta steel... well not really but u get me, she is a strong woman, she nearly didnt go to get cancerous cells burnt away as she was scared. Maybe somehow the NHS needs to make it seem less scary, maybe find a different one of telling people, like instead of sendin them a letter they can call them into see a GP???

Daisy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:00 am    Author: Daisy    Post subject: Re: One of them polls....

This is the first I've heard about this but as has already been said, if all this coverage makes people get checked out then it can't be a bad thing.

I'm no fan of Jade or any other tabloid-type-kinda-people but I wouldn't wish cancer on my worst enemy. I doubt even red tops and PR stunts would go to such an extreme as to claim someone was actually dying of such a frightening illness.

Is she going to die for real or is that just Chinese whispers?

Sure, you can come up with just the right paragraph that would exactly and candidly reflect the precise emotional descriptors you wished to be utilized in communicating your ever present and meticulously cultivated thoughts. Or you can just swear.
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence and insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Daisyed & Confused
Proud receiver of Maudy hugs.

Tom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:11 pm    Author: Tom    Post subject: Re: One of them polls....

I've never been a big fan of her but I would never wish cancer on anyone.

Awareness has seemed to increase recently due to this which can only be a good thing.

But then on the reverse, what about all the other people suffering who don't have enough money to fund their children? How would they be feeling at the moment?

Maud

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:28 pm    Author: Maud    Post subject: Re: One of them polls....

Tom wrote:
But then on the reverse, what about all the other people suffering who don't have enough money to fund their children? How would they be feeling at the moment?

Very valid point.

cookie_monster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:08 pm    Author: cookie_monster    Post subject: Re: One of them polls....

I don't really want to share my views on this, with the risk of being slated, however at least it's raising awareness.

daniel123

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:55 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: One of them polls....
Forum Games Moderator

Tom22 wrote:
Well I really cant see how people can find an argument against it... I have heard and seen mutterings that it's all publicity celeb culture nonsense and should be stopped which just is wrong really...

They reckon that the amount of smear tests have almost doubled from normal levels since it was announced Jade had cancer and more younger people are talking about it and having tests now. The added factor that she is setting her kids up for life and I think there was some cancer charity money in there as well. It can only be good surely?

I am, very surprisingly and no doubt controversially, against this.

I believe Jade Goody, as only one of millions of terminally-ill sufferers as I speak, SHOULD NOT receive more publicity than ANY others - what is it that makes her so much more special than another 27 year old, in EXACTLY her position regarding the illness? Why does only she receive the affection of the country (including myself)? There are a million other questions I could put to everyone here in agreement with the "Jade Goody Saga", but I'll whittle them down to two:

No doubt another woman, in exactly Mrs Tweed's position, and at least approximately her age, has recently got married. So how come Mrs Tweed (or is it Tweedy?) receives almost £1,000,000 for coverage of the event, and even more sympathy from everyone, whereas said other woman does not receive much but a few less hours to live and a new name?

And, quite simply, WHY is Jade Tweed (or Tweedy, but née Goody in any case)'s life being valued by everybody as more important than ANYBODY else's - rich, poor, cancer-stricken or not?

I'm willing to put myself in the line of fire, and am prepared to accept that the above post may be met with......dislike. But it is my opinion on the matter, my opinion being something I legally am permitted to disclose, so that doesn't matter too much.

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

cookie_monster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:25 pm    Author: cookie_monster    Post subject: Re: One of them polls....

Dan, the wedding point was one of the points I was going to make. Why should she get all that money and stuff? There are other cancer patients who have had a tougher time, and wanted to marry before they die, but they don't get anything. It's the same with the Maddie thing, the reward was £2m I heard. So, if any other child went missing, the reward wouldn't be as much would it? Making other parents feel like their children aren't worth as much.

daniel123

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:34 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: One of them polls....
Forum Games Moderator

Precisely Cookie.

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

hammondstar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:41 pm    Author: hammondstar    Post subject: Re: One of them polls....

I fail to see what the Madeline McCann case has to do with anything, but nevertheless.

Why are you putting the blame onto Jade herself? Of course all cancer patients deserve the same level of publicity and funding as the rest, but the harsh reality is that the media simply isn't as interested. Jade's a popular televsion personality and her story will therefore, as wrong as it may be, sell more newspapers. This makes her life no more valuable than anyone elses as Dan suggested and I'm sure anybody else in her position would do - or at least consider doing - the exact same thing. All she's doing is taking care of her children after all. Jade's illness has raised a great amount of publicity and I don't feel anybody has the right to pass judgement on her case; let alone begin to compare it with anybody elses.

rico7

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:05 pm    Author: rico7    Post subject: Re: One of them polls....

You have to feel sympathy for Jade, yes because of her cancer, but also because she has allowed herself to be enslaved by the media. She's an example of someone who's famous for.... well just being famous really, and that means that the media perception and public perception of her are probably still very important to her, perhaps less so now though. The question is does she enjoy the media intrusion, does she still feel the need for it, or has she done all the filming through gritted teeth hating every moment just so her children will be provided for. Either way, it's sad.

If there's one thing that can be learnt as she spends precious time with her husband and children, it's that you should never be defined by what people think of you.

flamedtresses

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:11 pm    Author: flamedtresses    Post subject: Re: One of them polls....

i can relate to jade atm. i am glad she is making people aware of cancer. if she can just save 1 life whilst doing it thats good,.
its actually the press showing pics etc, and i guess any person who was offered money for their wedding day pics would take it. i could go into more detail here but atm i dont want to but i think its good that shes making everyone more cancer aware.
im sad about the fact Jades dying and its heartbreaking thinking of her boys, but hopefully the press will let her rest now shes married and spend what time she has left with her hubby and her boys and family.

tr4962

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:22 pm    Author: tr4962    Post subject: Re: One of them polls....

I've never really liked Jade, but it can't be said she brought this on herself. and she doesn't deserve this to happen to her
I have always thought having a non-curuable illness and knowing you don't have long left i think is the saddest thing that could happen to anyone, and their family.

something i can't understand though is why Jade has been in the news more about her battle than Wendy Richard, could it be because Jade is younger

garylq

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:35 pm    Author: garylq    Post subject: Re: One of them polls....

Tragic for the Goody family obviously, but I voted good as this awful situation will save the lives of lots of British women in the long run due to the increased rates of testing.

Personally I'm tired of seeing JG on the front page of the papers every day, I would rather she went quietly like Wendy Richards. But I know its the for the greater good of the women of this country, who knows, maybe a friend or relative of mine might be saved from a similar fate. So, deep inside, I know its actually a good thing.

Tom22

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:44 am    Author: Tom22    Post subject: Re: One of them polls....

It's got a bit silly now... apparently there was a sponsored walk through Essex where all the proceeds went to Jades family... now this must be a bit of a kick in the face of other families dealing with cancer... I'm willing to bet that they didn't get many sponsored walks for the kids being left behind :? Surely after the wedding this bit of money would be more use going to a cancer charity...?

(After Gameweek 22)

[ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]