Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 11:44 pm Last visit was: Sun May 05, 2024 11:44 pm

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close on 21 June 2024 (extended deadline). More info here.

Deal or No Deal will return for a new series later in 2024.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 8 posts ] 

Goldeneye

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:59 am    Author: Goldeneye    Post subject: A new era has begun across the pond!

Warnings: 0
As you have heard, today began a new era where I live with President Barack Obama.

This brings new hope for everybody, especially with all these crises that we are currently in.

Remember that there will still be lots of challenges ahead, but eventually a better world will be made out of it.

In the audience for Den's (2-Mar-2009, Show #974), Hannah's (3-Mar-2009, Show #975) and Rich's (4-Mar-2009, Show #976) episodes.
Probably the only non-UKer to be in the audience ever...

collydolly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:53 am    Author: collydolly    Post subject: Re: A new era has begun across the pond!

President Obama has a huge task ahead and I wish him well.

I hope a better world will come out of the change of Presidency.

alex xxx

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:24 pm    Author: alex xxx    Post subject: Re: A new era has begun across the pond!

I sincerely hope that things do get better but everyone puts their trust in presidents and PM's etc but they are only pawns really they don't ever get to make the choices, it's a democracy and eventually they are all over ruled by their government etc "in the interest of the public/economy/health etc etc" TBH what can anyone really do? As much as I want to think that Obama can and I believe he will try I think he will be tied by PC

cookie_monster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:40 pm    Author: cookie_monster    Post subject: Re: A new era has begun across the pond!

I agree Alex.

I'm glad Obama won over John McCain [Mainly because of Sarah Palin!] and because Obama also had quite a positive attitiude. However people saying that there's going to be a new world now... Not exactly. It might be a new leaf for America, but Obama won't be able to sort all the world's problems. I don't want people to get their hopes up too high, because anything can happen.

h2005

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:12 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: A new era has begun across the pond!
Administrator & Global Moderator

Barack Obama is certainly a better person to lead the USA through the next few years than George Bush in my opinion. He's not going to change the world instantly and hasn't claimed to do that, but I think he'll do a lot of good to the USA and to the world as a whole.

daniel123

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:25 am    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: A new era has begun across the pond!
Forum Games Moderator

I would have to agree with the Obama/Bush comparison and that Obama has certainly made himself look like a better person to lead America through the next 4 years at least. However, America is not the world and, though Obama has been made out by many to be some sort of superhero, unfortunately this is not the case and, after all, he is only legally permitted to sort out America's problems. Anywhere else he is a mere immigrant, like Polish plumbers over here. Only, there's one of him and one billion of them.
I am sure Barack Obama will do a reasonably good job of tackling some of the problems America has, but these problems are an area I can't go into since the longest I ever lived in America was two weeks. But I have heard, and am pretty certain that he will cope with the post of President.....quite a bit....better than Mr Bush.

Lastly I do agree with Cookie in that people need a jolt back to reality - as I say, Barack Obama is not some superhero and (much as, I'm sure, any President of any country besides perhaps Israel would like to) he can't fix all the problems in the world and make everything right again. But in my opinion, what he will do is bring a heck of a lot of this "change" to America over what is certainly the next four years, possibly the next eight years. I think all we can do now is wait for some major event to crop up and see how he fares in that. Unpredictable really, at such an early stage.

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

h2005

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:32 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: A new era has begun across the pond!
Administrator & Global Moderator

daniel123 wrote:
However, America is not the world and, though Obama has been made out by many to be some sort of superhero, unfortunately this is not the case and, after all, he is only legally permitted to sort out America's problems.

True, but America often has an effect on world events - hence why it's known as one of the "superpowers". Obama seems to be capable of being the leader of a superpower, but I guess we'll really see what he's made of in the next few weeks / months / years.

rico7

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:58 pm    Author: rico7    Post subject: Re: A new era has begun across the pond!

I wish Barack Obama well. He has some good ideas, but with America in such economic turmoil, you can't expect them to do too many favours for other nations, and it wouldn't be easy for any politician to sort out their crisis. In fact their national debt is in such a mess that only divine intervention can stop them from losing their superpower status. Exactly how much debt are they in?

See this: http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/

[ 8 posts ] 
Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]