Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 11:00 pm Last visit was: Sun May 05, 2024 11:00 pm

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close on 21 June 2024 (extended deadline). More info here.

Deal or No Deal will return for a new series later in 2024.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 18 posts ] 

What is the most important news event of 2008?
Kosovo declares itself independent from Serbia 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Fidel Castro resigns after 49 years in power, his brother takes over 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Belgian government from crisis to crisis to crisis 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Extreme incest drama Fritzl in Austria 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Elections in Zimbabwe, fraud, violence and crisis followed 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Cyclone Nargis causes 130,000 deaths in Myanmar 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
Medvedev new President of Russia, Putin becomes Prime-Minister 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Earthquake in China, more than 70,000 deadly casualties 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Mars lander Phoenix reaches the north pole of Mars, finds water 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Ireland rejects EU treaty in referendum, new debate follows 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
The Olympic Games in China, and all demonstrations surrounding it 13%  13%  [ 7 ]
Radovan Karadzic is arrested in Belgrade, and taken to court 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Brief, but intense war between Russia and Georgia 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Airplane crash in Madrid takes 153 lives 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
A 22 year old student shoots 10 fellow students in Finland 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Barack Obama wins the American Presidential elections 32%  32%  [ 17 ]
Global financial crisis 32%  32%  [ 17 ]
Terror attacks in Mumbai kill at least 188 people 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
Student protests and riots in Greece 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 52

Noel_Blobby

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:22 pm    Author: Noel_Blobby    Post subject: What was the most important news event of 2008?

Warnings: 0
A selection of 20 major news events, you can pick 3.

NoelsFan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:32 pm    Author: NoelsFan    Post subject: Re: What was the most important news event of 2008?

I went for the Olympics, Barack Obama and The Global financial crisis AKA "The Credit Crunch"!

Jimmy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:00 pm    Author: Jimmy    Post subject: Re: What was the most important news event of 2008?
Global Moderator

I'd be foolish not to say the Credit Crunch. We haven't seen the worst of that and it'll take us right the way through 2009.

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:19 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: What was the most important news event of 2008?

Definitely Obama's election. I'd also say the global financial crisis too. And then because it was so epic for us Brits, the Olympics too!

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

Daisy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:39 pm    Author: Daisy    Post subject: Re: What was the most important news event of 2008?

OMG you forgot the single biggest news story since forever!

RUSSELLBRANDANDJONATHANROSSGATE!!!!

:-D

Sure, you can come up with just the right paragraph that would exactly and candidly reflect the precise emotional descriptors you wished to be utilized in communicating your ever present and meticulously cultivated thoughts. Or you can just swear.
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence and insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Daisyed & Confused
Proud receiver of Maudy hugs.

Noel_Blobby

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:20 pm    Author: Noel_Blobby    Post subject: Re: What was the most important news event of 2008?

Daisy wrote:

A load of hyped up crap in my opinion.

Daisy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:12 pm    Author: Daisy    Post subject: Re: What was the most important news event of 2008?

Twas a joke.
:unsure

Sure, you can come up with just the right paragraph that would exactly and candidly reflect the precise emotional descriptors you wished to be utilized in communicating your ever present and meticulously cultivated thoughts. Or you can just swear.
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence and insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Daisyed & Confused
Proud receiver of Maudy hugs.

alex xxx

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:34 pm    Author: alex xxx    Post subject: Re: What was the most important news event of 2008?

please can you make an other button???

Noel_Blobby

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:44 pm    Author: Noel_Blobby    Post subject: Re: What was the most important news event of 2008?

alex xxx wrote:
please can you make an other button???

Not without losing all of the votes, and anyway I've already put in the maximum number of options.

"The Banker"

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:46 am    Author: "The Banker"    Post subject: Re: What was the most important news event of 2008?

Daisy wrote:

What about the JOHNSERGEANTQUITSSTRICTLYCOMEDANCINGGATE!!!!

Noel_Blobby

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:23 am    Author: Noel_Blobby    Post subject: Re: What was the most important news event of 2008?

"The Banker" wrote:
Daisy wrote:

What about the JOHNSERGEANTQUITSSTRICTLYCOMEDANCINGGATE!!!!

The programme itself is a load of hyped up crap, never mind John Sergeant

bluewater

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:31 pm    Author: bluewater    Post subject: Re: What was the most important news event of 2008?

This was a very hard choice to pick my three, there were so many key events of 2008.

rico7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:21 pm    Author: rico7    Post subject: Re: What was the most important news event of 2008?

I went for the election of Barack Obama because apart from the fact he is the first black American president,
his election could have significant ramifications in the US and around the world not just for the global financial crisis,
but foreign policy in the middle east, and social and morally divisive issues such as gay marriage, abortion etc.

The next few years could also see a realignment in global politics, with the US losing its superpower status as well
which is likely regardless of anything that Obama might be able to achieve.

jiveclive

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:05 pm    Author: jiveclive    Post subject: Re: What was the most important news event of 2008?

I loved the Olympics but the piss awful handover ceremony to Britain spoiled it completely!

There were lots that were important.

Aaron Brock

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:42 pm    Author: Aaron Brock    Post subject: Re: What was the most important news event of 2008?

Credit Crunch, Barack Obama and 130,000 Deaths. The Olympics is irrelevant importance I think compared to 130,000 people dying...

alex xxx

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:17 pm    Author: alex xxx    Post subject: Re: What was the most important news event of 2008?

I went for barack obama, mumbai and the cyclone. TBH money is irrelevant compared to people dying and the world will never go into financial recession because it is the world either parts are poorer than others or the world is equally poor. IMO its the people in general eg us who are responsible for the money markets whereas barack obama and robert mugabe are just 2 people making an impact and a cyclone is a natural phenomonon

daniel123

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:37 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: What was the most important news event of 2008?
Forum Games Moderator

Zimbabwe elections for no reason, the Financial crisis (which has even hit us, harder than we thought) and perhaps 130,000 deaths. More the deaths than anything as I regard death a very serious thing, and even when in a "recession" (which we're not - yet), I think we should all stop and give a thought to those who have gone, through whatever cause, if not only out of that thing called respect.

Barack Obama is a man who has been elected President of his country. And surely, if everyone is so adamant about this Equal thing (I can't think of another, short, name for it) to do with different races ad everyone being equal, that should be that. The mere fact that they are all saying, "he's black, he's black!" only proves that they're not doing anything they said they were - if that were the case, the celebration would have been for the fact that he had been elected President. It is not. It is because he is a black President. IMO half the reason why he won the elections was probably because of his skin colour.
And that, surely, is (a light form of) racism in itself - but reversed?

So that and afew other reasons is why I didn't go for Mr O, and also will not be bowing and kissing at his shoes if I meet him - after all, when push comes to shove, he's President of the United States of America. And besides, he's not President for another 19 days.

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

h2005

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:13 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: What was the most important news event of 2008?
Administrator & Global Moderator

The global financial crisis, the Olympic Games in China, and Barack Obama winning the American Presidential elections for me (and in that order too).

[ 18 posts ] 
Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]