Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 1:30 am Last visit was: Mon May 06, 2024 1:30 am

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close on 21 June 2024 (extended deadline). More info here.

Deal or No Deal will return for a new series later in 2024.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

daniel123

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:00 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: If you had one week to live...
Forum Games Moderator

Warnings: 0
I didn't know what to call this thread, but hey.

I was going to post this in the Birthdays thread but decided not to, of course. I know someone who almost certainly will not see her next birthday. Family friend Sylvia Thompson, who is 85, has had cervical cancer for a few months now. To cut a long story short, it's all been going downhill since last week and on Tuesday she was told she had one week left.
This, of course, has shocked family and friends. But it has left me wondering, truly, if you were told you had one week to live, for whatever reason, if you could go out and about in that time, what would you do?

I personally have no idea what I would do. Being me, I'd probably quit while I was ahead and commit suicide.
I mean, what is there to do? What goes through somebody's head when they have been told, near to the minute, the exact time of their date with, I suppose, destiny? I've heard about, read stories of and seen people who have been told this, and it's left me wondering, how the *beep* do they cope with this?

On the subject, in my grandmother's aunt's family no less than 6 people, all immediate family, died at the age of 72 or very near that age. Now given that Peg is now 71 and a half, that's also left me wondering, what teh hell's going through her mind?

So, my question really is not only what would you do in your last week or so, but also what would you be thinking, how would you react to that?

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

tr4962

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:22 pm    Author: tr4962    Post subject: Re: If you had one week to live...

I can't imagine how bad it would be, however i would hate it more if it was someone other than me, i think the longer the time period the more suffering that happens.
If it was me i would always fight to the end.

Something similar happened with my gran, she had been in hospital for 5 months, then her organs started to fail and she had to be sedated, we were told she had a few days to live, so it was awful that we couldn't say goodbye to her properly as she was sedated.

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:52 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: If you had one week to live...

Let's liven this place up a bit! :D I'm sure they will never be forgotten, after all :) and as Dan said we'd love to be able to do things in our last week.

For me, it would be a mountain climb up Kilimanjaro, and to visit Australia, I can't think of much else at the moment, but I'll come back to add more.

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

h2005

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:08 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: If you had one week to live...
Administrator & Global Moderator

Big-Davey wrote:
For me, it would be a mountain climb up Kilimanjaro, and to visit Australia, I can't think of much else at the moment, but I'll come back to add more.

Doing that would probably finish you off. :blueponder

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:12 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: If you had one week to live...

At least I'd go out with a bang! :lol:

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

Jimmy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:13 pm    Author: Jimmy    Post subject: Re: If you had one week to live...
Global Moderator

Big-Davey wrote:

I very nearly did that a few weeks ago... turned out well in the end though. The Earth wasn't consumed after all...

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:17 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: If you had one week to live...

Haha who actually thought we was going to die??? Or was it just the conspiracy theorists? :suspect: I know it could have happened, but the chances were so remote!

Maud

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:46 pm    Author: Maud    Post subject: Re: If you had one week to live...

I would go and see New Kids on the Block in concert at the 02 arena... yes I would... Im not obsessed... shhhh

matthew17

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:10 pm    Author: matthew17    Post subject: Re: If you had one week to live...

:smt006

Last edited by matthew17 on Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:13 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: If you had one week to live...

There - Maud now has someone to go with her! :P

Maud

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:27 pm    Author: Maud    Post subject: Re: If you had one week to live...

Im just jumping for joy... can u tell???

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:38 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: If you had one week to live...

All I can tell is that that comment was dripping with sarcasm :suspect:

matthew17

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:56 pm    Author: matthew17    Post subject: Re: If you had one week to live...

jjj

Last edited by matthew17 on Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:07 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: If you had one week to live...

Kids Choice Awards? Bloody hell, I didn't think that still happened :shock:

matthew17

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:10 pm    Author: matthew17    Post subject: Re: If you had one week to live...

well it does lol
we saw it on telly yesterday, and after seeing half the audience get gunged, i'm pretty glad we didn't go after all :lol:

Maud

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:34 pm    Author: Maud    Post subject: Re: If you had one week to live...

matthew17 wrote:
Big-Davey wrote:
There - Maud now has someone to go with her! :P

i don't know though if we'll be able to go... we tried getting tickets for the kca awards and we didn't win :(

I for one am gutted... GUTTED.

NoelsFan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:15 pm    Author: NoelsFan    Post subject: Re: If you had one week to live...

daniel123 wrote:
I didn't know what to call this thread, but hey.

I was going to post this in the Birthdays thread but decided not to, of course. I know someone who almost certainly will not see her next birthday. Family friend Sylvia Thompson, who is 85, has had cervical cancer for a few months now. To cut a long story short, it's all been going downhill since last week and on Tuesday she was told she had one week left.
This, of course, has shocked family and friends.

Just purely by intrest, is Sylvia still alive? You don't have to say if you don't want to.

daniel123

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:52 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: If you had one week to live...
Forum Games Moderator

As a matter of fact, I can't tell you how delighted I am to say yes, she's still alive. And conscious I should add, conscious and talking. But I really can't imagine how she's feeling by now...knowing you're one breath, almost, from death, that any second could be your last...must really make you appreciate life one hell of a lot more than you did, if nothing else..

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:39 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: If you had one week to live...

Seriously Dan what the hell has come over you, suddenly you're a lot more sensible as far as life is concerned! :shock:

daniel123

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:21 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: If you had one week to live...
Forum Games Moderator

I think I've just gronw up a bit more since I was last here regularly...see, I can be the comedian one second and then suddenly turn into the coroner approaching the deceased's family. I can be serious when I need to be, and I find the matter of a dying person extremely serious.
But I'm still better off as the happy-go-(very un)lucky comedian.

I've always been sensible as regards life, BUT I do tend to see the funny side of it a hell of a lot more. It's only when you hear of a family death one minute and then witness somebody hanging on for dear life ('scuse the very bad pun) that it really hits home - every second, every millisecond could be your last. Death calls just when you don't expect it - which is why my advice to wrinklies is expect to die right now. And keep expecting till you're fed up with life.

(see, see how I like to mix the funny side in with the serious side? Well that, people, is one of the keys to being funny here)

[ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]