Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 4:14 am Last visit was: Mon May 06, 2024 4:14 am

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close on 21 June 2024 (extended deadline). More info here.

Deal or No Deal will return for a new series later in 2024.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Would you be happy to see the legal age rise to 21?
Yes 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
No 31%  31%  [ 6 ]
Not bothered personally 57%  57%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 19

Jimmy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:28 pm    Author: Jimmy    Post subject: Re: Poll of the Week 34: Alcohol age to go up to 21?
Global Moderator

Warnings: 0
I don't think I could really care less either. This country has had it.

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:32 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: Poll of the Week 34: Alcohol age to go up to 21?

I've just read Betty's comments - and I agree as well. There just isn't any point.

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

cookie_monster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:29 pm    Author: cookie_monster    Post subject: Re: Poll of the Week 34: Alcohol age to go up to 21?

If underage kids want alcohol, they will find a way of getting it, so we may as well keep it as it is.

h2005

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:42 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Poll of the Week 34: Alcohol age to go up to 21?
Administrator & Global Moderator

I think whatever they do will turn out to be wrong. Lowering it will end up in more young people drinking, but raising it will probably end up with young people getting hold of the alcohol anyway (probably even more than now as they'd see it as a challenge to overcome the "system" and get hold of it illegally).

So they may as well leave it as it is and concentrate on other issues which need addressing more urgently.

Goldeneye

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:20 pm    Author: Goldeneye    Post subject: Re: Poll of the Week 34: Alcohol age to go up to 21?

Speaking of which, there is recently some talk here across the pond to start the drive to reduce the drinking age from 21 to 18, just at it was prior to 1984. (It's still 18 in USA territories like Puerto Rico)

Mind you, the people who initiated that are university presidents.

Also, lots of countries have a drinking age of 18 (less for certain kinds of alcohol).

In the audience for Den's (2-Mar-2009, Show #974), Hannah's (3-Mar-2009, Show #975) and Rich's (4-Mar-2009, Show #976) episodes.
Probably the only non-UKer to be in the audience ever...

Joel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:32 pm    Author: Joel    Post subject: Re: Poll of the Week 34: Alcohol age to go up to 21?

Not bothered personally because I'm never going to drink alcohol. :-D

daniel4389

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:59 pm    Author: daniel4389    Post subject: Re: Poll of the Week 34: Alcohol age to go up to 21?

If you're still saying that in a few years then I'm Suezan...

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:01 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: Poll of the Week 34: Alcohol age to go up to 21?

I hear that!

How can you NOT drink alcohol when you get to our age, Joel? :P

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

h2005

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:01 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Poll of the Week 34: Alcohol age to go up to 21?

To be fair, I don't drink alcohol really. Although I openly admit I'm weird.

daniel4389

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:03 pm    Author: daniel4389    Post subject: Re: Poll of the Week 34: Alcohol age to go up to 21?

Not that I'm encouraging alcohol abuse or anything...I just think there must be very very few people in their late teens who don't. But I guess the few who don't should be commended really, it doesn't do you any good (well one glass of wine a week or something does apparently) and it's especially hard not to when everyone else is.

Tom22

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:04 pm    Author: Tom22    Post subject: Re: Poll of the Week 34: Alcohol age to go up to 21?

I've had about 3 pints since January... I think I'm a fairly light drinker...

3rd. Toms Shrews III 1221
Top Scorer this week - dondsters 147 Worst scorer this week - Adium United 33
Bottom - Hammond's Heroes 766
(After Gameweek 22)

h2005

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:10 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Poll of the Week 34: Alcohol age to go up to 21?

I'm not "tee-total" - I'd drink alcohol if the situation arose... like in France on a uni trip I had a few glasses of wine (heavy stuff, I know) at a dinner. The lecturers got plastered and joined in with hurling abuse at some drunk Frenchman later on. :roll:

redrum666

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:44 pm    Author: redrum666    Post subject: Re: Poll of the Week 34: Alcohol age to go up to 21?
Permanently Banned

h2005 wrote:
I'm not "tee-total" - I'd drink alcohol if the situation arose... like in France on a uni trip I had a few glasses of wine (heavy stuff, I know) at a dinner. The lecturers got plastered and joined in with hurling abuse at some drunk Frenchman later on. :roll:

Ooh, can I come with next time?

h2005

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:50 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Poll of the Week 34: Alcohol age to go up to 21?

Oh no!!! Hopefully there won't be a next time! Being dragged around Paris stopping every 5 minutes to have glasses of Coca-Cola for 5 or 6 Euros each (the equivalent of having a can of Cola for about £2 - £3) and then sleeping in a "3 star" hotel with a leaking bathroom tap, a telephone hanging off the wall and beds pushed together because the rooms were designed for 2 people and not 4... no no, never again.

I enjoyed myself greatly as you can see. I don't think I ever paid for the rest of that trip actually... I suppose I'd better hand in the cheque when I go back next month. :( Although they have never asked for it... :suspect:

Tom

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:51 pm    Author: Tom    Post subject: Re: Poll of the Week 34: Alcohol age to go up to 21?

Lets just say I've made the most of being 18 over the last week...

greeny

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:37 pm    Author: greeny    Post subject: Re: Poll of the Week 34: Alcohol age to go up to 21?

Big-Davey wrote:
I hear that!

How can you NOT drink alcohol when you get to our age, Joel? :P

Easily Divvy, by avoiding, as I have, and remaining teetotal.

cookie_monster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:02 am    Author: cookie_monster    Post subject: Re: Poll of the Week 34: Alcohol age to go up to 21?

h2005 wrote:
Oh no!!! Hopefully there won't be a next time! Being dragged around Paris stopping every 5 minutes to have glasses of Coca-Cola for 5 or 6 Euros each (the equivalent of having a can of Cola for about £2 - £3) and then sleeping in a "3 star" hotel with a leaking bathroom tap, a telephone hanging off the wall and beds pushed together because the rooms were designed for 2 people and not 4... no no, never again.

Hahaha, that reminds me of the state of the room in my Belgium trip. Leaky ceiling, no bathroom lock, loads of
wires hanging onto my bed from an above broken light, keycards that won't work. And then there was the French Trip that was 160 times worse, with a toilet that kept leaking sewage over the floor, the heater that fell off the wall, old hospital metal beds, mouldy food, pedos trying to piclock doors, coach driver who ate about 3 times more than everyone else did, itchy sheets, the constant noise of next door's toilet that was flushing all day and all night, the stupid rusty keys... The teachers had to take it in turns to guard the corridors to make sure the pedos didn't come back!

KP

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:44 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: Poll of the Week 34: Alcohol age to go up to 21?
International Forums Moderator

I'm teetotal.

I'm not sure if you can tax people out of excessive drinking, but I'm not sure how easily you can 'educate', if that's the word (sounds Orwellian in this context, but it's the best I can think of), people out of excessive drinking.

Increasing the drinking age may or may not be the right course of action. But even if it is, it sure as heck isn't being done for the right reasons, and could easily be seen as demonising teenagers. Way to just increase knife crime, guys!

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

daniel123

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:27 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: Poll of the Week 34: Alcohol age to go up to 21?
Forum Games Moderator

If raising the age upto 21 makes any reduction at all in crime numbers, or anything related, I will personally knock on Mr Brown's door and snog him. That's how sure I am that it is pointless.

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

h2005

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:31 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Poll of the Week 34: Alcohol age to go up to 21?

Aww, how sweet... :eyes:

[ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]