Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 1:45 am Last visit was: Wed May 01, 2024 1:45 am

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 634 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next

Phil 09

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:00 pm    Author: Phil 09    Post subject: Re: The News, Politics and Current Affairs Thread

Warnings: 0
Yes, another fine actor who is no longer with us. :(

Apart from The Wicker Man and The Equalizer. He was in a 1970's UK show called 'Callan' where Edward Woodward played a reluctant hitman for a shadowy British government intelligence service. Can't remember the name of that but if you're over 30, you may remember it.

Used to be on ITV late on a Sunday I think. (Childhood memories, not always as sharp as used to be).

Maybe YouTube will show the full opening credits.

Phil.

h2005

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:48 am    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: The News, Politics and Current Affairs Thread
Administrator & Global Moderator

BBC News wrote:
BT boss has only broadband home

British Telecom (BT) has admitted its chairman is the only person in a village on the Oxfordshire-Buckinghamshire border with broadband.

Other people in Hambleden were told they could not have broadband because of the distance to the exchange.

BT said Sir Michael Rake's connection was part of a trial of new technology, and no company could afford to provide broadband to the area.

One local resident said it was not fair and that Sir Michael should resign.

'Preferential treatment'

In a statement, BT wrote: "Trials of new technologies are often conducted among a company's own staff so there is nothing unusual in this situation.

"BT has learnt a lot through the trial the chairman participated in and hopefully those lessons will benefit the residents of Hambleden in due course.

"We have sympathy for the residents of Hambleden.

"Several companies actually supply broadband from the exchange serving their village but the lines between the village and the exchange are simply too long to support a broadband service."

Gary Ashworth, who lives in Hambleden, said: "If I was a BT shareholder I'd be upset... I think one can live with it, if it's a level playing field it's not a problem.

"It's this preferential treatment that Sir Michael Rake has had that's upset most of the villagers."

In May research commissioned by the BBC found that about three million homes in the UK have no broadband or speeds of less than two megabits per second (2Mbps).

The government has promised to provide all homes in the UK with speeds of at least 2Mbps by 2012.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8386224.stm

h2005

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:17 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: The News, Politics and Current Affairs Thread

I'm not sure what to make of this!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8420053.stm

Why would anyone want to steal that?

jiveclive

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:57 pm    Author: jiveclive    Post subject: Re: The News, Politics and Current Affairs Thread

h2005 wrote:
I'm not sure what to make of this!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8420053.stm

Why would anyone want to steal that?

I'd presume that it would be somebody who is willing to make a profit.

h2005

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:05 am    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: The News, Politics and Current Affairs Thread

But how? No-one's going to be able to sell it or use it for scrap metal, as it's too well known.

h2005

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:35 am    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: The News, Politics and Current Affairs Thread

Quote:
What a wind-up! Town clock delivered with numbers in the wrong order

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... order.html

h2005

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:18 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: The News, Politics and Current Affairs Thread

I heard on the news the other night that the recession is lifting. However, they still negatively reported it, by going on about how the recovery might not last. I haven't heard much more about the recovery of the recession at all! However, when we were going into the recession, they kept doing gloomy reports every night about how bad everything was. Now things are getting better, it seems to be being swept under the carpet.... :roll:

"The Banker"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:00 pm    Author: "The Banker"    Post subject: Re: The News, Politics and Current Affairs Thread

Express.co.uk wrote:
Pyjama ban at Tesco

Tesco Extra in St Mellons, Cardiff, is the first in Britain to threaten to ban customers who can’t be bothered to change out of their nightclothes.

A stern notice at the store’s entrance declares: “To avoid causing offence or embarrassment to others we ask that our customers are appropriately dressed when visiting our store (footwear must be worn at all times and no nightwear is permitted).”

Many shoppers at the store yesterday told the Daily Express they were delighted with Tesco’s move against the slobby shoppers.

Source: http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/154 ... n-at-Tesco

cookie_monster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:35 pm    Author: cookie_monster    Post subject: Re: The News, Politics and Current Affairs Thread

"The Banker" wrote:
Express.co.uk wrote:
Pyjama ban at Tesco

Tesco Extra in St Mellons, Cardiff, is the first in Britain to threaten to ban customers who can’t be bothered to change out of their nightclothes.

A stern notice at the store’s entrance declares: “To avoid causing offence or embarrassment to others we ask that our customers are appropriately dressed when visiting our store (footwear must be worn at all times and no nightwear is permitted).”

Many shoppers at the store yesterday told the Daily Express they were delighted with Tesco’s move against the slobby shoppers.

Source: http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/154 ... n-at-Tesco

Thank god the Tesco in my town haven't told me off yet for wearing my birthday suit around the store... :twisted:

h2005

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:10 am    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: The News, Politics and Current Affairs Thread

UFOs over Chelmsford!

Here's an article from our local newspaper (The Essex Chronicle) which caught my eye. I thought I recognised the bloke, and the article says he's one of the blokes who works at the IT desk at my uni. I'm tempted to make alien noises to him next time I see him around. :lol:

The video they talk about is available here, if you're interested (to save you typing out the address!) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ScQu3l78pw

From Page 25 of Thurs 04 Feb 2010's Issue of the Essex Chronicle:

"The Banker"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:36 am    Author: "The Banker"    Post subject: Re: The News, Politics and Current Affairs Thread

A triangular shaped sky lantern perhaps?

There are probably hundreds of reports of UFO sightings in the UK where people claimed to have seen a cluster of bright orange orbs floating in the sky, commonly in the shape of a triangle or in a straight line, making no noise whatsoever. Alot of these sightings might often be caused by Chinese lanterns, (but can't account for all of them).

That's just a possibility of what it could be, but who knows? It could be:

1. Chinese lantern
2. Some electronic flying device toy thing someone built
3. Military testing - is there a military testing area in Chelmsford?
4. Fake footage
5. A Dorito experiment gone wrong
6. A slice of pizza with cheese topping
7. Your grandmother
8. ALIENS!
9. Something else

I'll remain open-minded about it. About 95% of UFO sightings can be explained, (or so we are lead to believe :eyes: ) but there is a minority of cases which are completely unexplainable. *Plays X Files theme tune* :suspect:

Last edited by "The Banker" on Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:28 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: The News, Politics and Current Affairs Thread

You reckon jamesfish has anything to do with it? :ponder:

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

daniel123

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:37 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: The News, Politics and Current Affairs Thread
Forum Games Moderator

I think I can safely say the UFO was H.

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

"The Banker"

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:13 pm    Author: "The Banker"    Post subject: Re: The News, Politics and Current Affairs Thread

Actually it was Alien all along.

:-D

cookie_monster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:04 pm    Author: cookie_monster    Post subject: Re: The News, Politics and Current Affairs Thread

:shock:

daniel123

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:17 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: The News, Politics and Current Affairs Thread
Forum Games Moderator

Calm down dear. Surely you've got used to what The Banker really looks like?

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

h2005

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 5:17 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: The News, Politics and Current Affairs Thread

Google celebrates Pac-Man's 30th anniversary with playable logo

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/05/21/googl ... able-logo/

Go to Google (www.google.co.uk), click 'Insert Coin' below the search box and you can play a live version of Pacman in the Google logo. :P

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:49 pm    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject: Re: The News, Politics and Current Affairs Thread

The lib dems have been hijacked by right wing free marketeers notably Nick Clegg, Vince Cable etc
hopefully the lib dems will be destroyed in elections next year.

h2005

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:56 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: The News, Politics and Current Affairs Thread

Nick Clegg FAIL...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVIJBxZruz8

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:06 pm    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject: Re: The News, Politics and Current Affairs Thread

Yes couldn't resist power I suppose, so much for being against the establishment.

[ 634 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]