Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:15 pm Last visit was: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:15 pm

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » TV - Films - MusicAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Tom22

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:40 am    Author: Tom22    Post subject: Re: Derren Brown : The Events

Warnings: 0
This couldnt get much more contradictory but I'm going to source the Sun to reference two Professors...

The Sun wrote:
Oxford maths professor Roger Heath-Brown branded the explanation "complete rubbish" - as did Cambridge professor David Spiegelhalter, who said the numbers were "unguessable".

3rd. Toms Shrews III 1221
Top Scorer this week - dondsters 147 Worst scorer this week - Adium United 33
Bottom - Hammond's Heroes 766
(After Gameweek 22)

Oni-91

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:41 am    Author: Oni-91    Post subject: Re: Derren Brown : The Events

Think of it the other way. Did you really expect him to give a bona fide way to win the lottery? Of course not, just like how The System didn't have a bona fide way to win on the horses (well, other than "put money on every horse"). It's just that the theory that went behind The System seemed much more thought-out than here, and it was a lot more palatable. All I really got here were a few tricks that didn't really make sense when put together.

MisterAl

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:03 am    Author: MisterAl    Post subject: Re: Derren Brown : The Events

The great thing about The System though was that he did genuinely tell you exactly how that all worked; I suppose that because of that I was expecting him to reveal how he created the illusion of picking the right numbers in the lottery, since genuinely picking the right numbers with certainty is clearly impossible.

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:06 am    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject: Re: Derren Brown : The Events

Well after last night's show i'm still none the wiser. If those 24 people truly did pick those numbers beforehand via 'automatic writing' why did Derren not show the group the numbers as had done before in the previous lottery experiments where the group got 3 then 4 numbers right. Instead Derren said he would do the calculations this time for the group and that he didn't want the group to see the numbers beforehand. Surely he could have shown the group the apparent prediction before the draw.

I didn't expect Derren to just come out with some simple explanation though, but it would have been nice to know a bit more. However Derren did do it, he did it well. Be it via camera trickery or something else. If those 24 people really did get 6 numbers right on Wednesday (which they feasibly couldn't) then i'll expect to see a lot of winners on tonight's lottery.

Camelot (the lottery owners) were obviously hoping to cash in on Derren's show as I saw adverts for both tonight's 7m rollover and next week's mega 85m EuroMillions jackpot. I wonder how many people may have been influenced by Derren to go out and buy some lottery tickets now.

As i've said i'm not a DB fan and haven't ever really watched him before. After watching him this week though i'm still in two minds. The trick on Wednesday was good and got people talking. The follow-up show less so. I will tune in again though next to see how Derren will 'control the nation'.

Tom22

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:15 am    Author: Tom22    Post subject: Re: Derren Brown : The Events

mike wrote:
Camelot (the lottery owners) were obviously hoping to cash in on Derren's show as I saw adverts for both tonight's 7m rollover and next week's mega 85m EuroMillions jackpot

This is something that got me last night... The Euromillions is drawn at some point on Friday night after 7.30 and before 11ish when it is shown on BBC 1, so it is more than likely that this advert was put on before the result of the Euromillions was fully known... and if it was drawn at about 8ish it normally takes a while for everything to work out (about 2 hours with the lotto) so they know it is a rollover.. They seemed to predict it... very odd.

(After Gameweek 22)

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:43 pm    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject: Re: Derren Brown : The Events

Tom22 wrote:
mike wrote:
Camelot (the lottery owners) were obviously hoping to cash in on Derren's show as I saw adverts for both tonight's 7m rollover and next week's mega 85m EuroMillions jackpot

This is something that got me last night... The Euromillions is drawn at some point on Friday night after 7.30 and before 11ish when it is shown on BBC 1, so it is more than likely that this advert was put on before the result of the Euromillions was fully known... and if it was drawn at about 8ish it normally takes a while for everything to work out (about 2 hours with the lotto) so they know it is a rollover.. They seemed to predict it... very odd.

Well actually, like Derren, Camelot didn't do much predicting either ( :eyes: ). Next week's EuroMillions is a special 'Mega Draw' event thing which Camelot have actually had planned weeks in advance. They tend to do one once a year and it has a set jackpot of £85m. Which is why they could show an advert for next weeks £85m draw regardless of what last Friday's result would be.

Derren might want to get his prediction in early for that massive jackpot.

Aaron Brock

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:50 pm    Author: Aaron Brock    Post subject: Re: Derren Brown : The Events

I decided that for today, I'd adapt the theory he gave in the show and use random.org as my 24 people. I drew 144 people and made sure there were no duplicates in each column of six, then calculated an average for each of the six balls to get my list of numbers, which I then went to the hassle of finding some ID because the woman behind the counter at WHSmith didn't believe I was 16. Used my Student ID card which hadn't even entered my mind, but thanks to a friend, I bought my ticket and that was that.

I matched no numbers.

Tom22

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:20 pm    Author: Tom22    Post subject: Re: Derren Brown : The Events

Well I was studying the past years results before I choose my numbers then closed my eyes and did the funny writing thing and surprisingly squiggles seem to make alot of 2's and 3's and not a single 1... I then did some averages from a few random draws and a lucky dip...

I got one number from my lucky dip and that was that.

There have been some people claiming they were in the audience for last nights show and there was an extra clip shown when he was switching on some Christmas street lights in London last year and had 6 people on a bus holding up the 6 balls drawn on Wednesday night... (maybe an explanation for the snowflake...)

2 people won the jackpot tonight... seemingly Derren Brown has not won anything.

(After Gameweek 22)

StatsMan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:58 pm    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: Derren Brown : The Events

Tom22 wrote:
There have been some people claiming they were in the audience for last nights show and there was an extra clip shown when he was switching on some Christmas street lights in London last year and had 6 people on a bus holding up the 6 balls drawn on Wednesday night... (maybe an explanation for the snowflake...)

If that's the case, that lends more credence to the 'Fixing the Machine' explanation, even though that method was clearly completely ridiculous.

I think sometimes the trick is better than the reveal for it, and perhaps vice versa with The System having an ultimately cunningly simple solution that most people overlooked that proved interesting enough to reveal, and showed the amount of work that had gone into the production.

We all agreed on wednesday it was a great trick, he really didn't need the follow-up show as that spoilt it a bit, although I suppose with a promise of a reveal, people wanted to not only speculate how he did it but see if they were right, whereas if it was never truly going to be known, there might not have been so much discussion about it.

However, he doesn't usually disappoint the audience, it's a bit of a gutsy move at the start of the series, but I'm sure the climax of the series will be amazing and he will turn opinion around.

I thought it was a bit strange that the lottery announcer just before the draw happened said (I think), "I'd write this down if I were you..." - I mean, it's not as if you can't check them later or listen to them. Just a bit odd, and a bit of a stern order that didn't seem to make any sense...

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:04 am    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject: Re: Derren Brown : The Events

StatsMan wrote:
I thought it was a bit strange that the lottery announcer just before the draw happened said (I think), "I'd write this down if I were you..." - I mean, it's not as if you can't check them later or listen to them. Just a bit odd, and a bit of a stern order that didn't seem to make any sense...

I just checked on the iPlayer and Alan "Voice of the Balls" Dedicot did indeed say that. Which was a rather random thing to say, and seemed a bit of a throwaway comment.

I can only presume that he was having a slight dig at Derren who at the time on his show had his white board out waiting to write down the numbers.

Derren's show on Friday scored a big audience for C4 with 4.4m tuning in. Though I wonder how many will tune in next week after the disappointment many people felt this week. Plus Derren will be going up against Strictly Come Dancing.

Tom

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:01 pm    Author: Tom    Post subject: Re: Derren Brown : The Events

I know some people have been disappointed by last Friday's show but did they really expect him to give away the true trick?

SCD or Derren Brown? Well neither, as I'm working late Friday night so will miss both. But, I'm definitely going to watch the Derren Brown show on 4OD the next day.

StatsMan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:17 pm    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: Derren Brown : The Events

I've been thinking about the last line he said: "you may choose to believe it was some kind of super technology... that's up to you." Firstly, in one of his live shows, he used the word 'choose' a lot to subliminally make a participant choose the Daily Mail at the end, although here he was deliberately downplaying the word rather than emphasising it. Secondly, by using the term 'super technology', he is perhaps emphasising that the trick would be harder to do (and was hard to do?), as he could easily have said 'split screen' (although I suppose given people off the internet had dismissed that method as fairly simple, he didn't want to feel embarrassed by revealing that's what he did).

I reckon he probably gave us the answer in that show somewhere, but there was so much rubbish about 'wisdom of crowds' and suchlike, that as always it's impossible for us to tell when he's telling the truth. Although, having said that, I don't begrudge him keeping the trick to himself.

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

DanS

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:23 pm    Author: DanS    Post subject: Re: Derren Brown : The Events

So tonight, he's going to hypnotise the people watching at home, and make sure they can't leave the room or turn the channel over, or something to that extent. I thought the lottery numbers last week was impossible, but I really really can't see this one working.

Tom22

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:34 pm    Author: Tom22    Post subject: Re: Derren Brown : The Events

Well this is much more possible! He has done alot of low level hypnotism on his audiences on his stage shows to great affect and so I can see this working... last week he was an illusionist this week is going to be something completely different...

(After Gameweek 22)

Joel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:51 pm    Author: Joel    Post subject: Re: Derren Brown : The Events

can't wait for this!! :D

Tom22

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:13 pm    Author: Tom22    Post subject: Re: Derren Brown : The Events

I'M STUCKK!!!!!

Oh no hang on I'm just lazy..

(After Gameweek 22)

h2005

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:16 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Derren Brown : The Events
Administrator & Global Moderator

Is it on now? I can't be bothered to check.

Tom22

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:39 pm    Author: Tom22    Post subject: Re: Derren Brown : The Events

It's much more old Derren Brown with some great tricks of the mind. So much better than last week!

Green.

(After Gameweek 22)

Tom22

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:43 pm    Author: Tom22    Post subject: Re: Derren Brown : The Events

Also this is actually quite funny! Especially the bloke who ended up with his arms in the air... very unusual.

(After Gameweek 22)

Lewis246

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:01 pm    Author: Lewis246    Post subject: Re: Derren Brown : The Events

I didn't get stuck...

[ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » TV - Films - MusicAll times are UTC [ DST ]