Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 6:29 am Last visit was: Mon May 06, 2024 6:29 am

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close on 21 June 2024 (extended deadline). More info here.

Deal or No Deal will return for a new series later in 2024.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » TV - Films - MusicAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

h2005

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:54 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2009
Administrator & Global Moderator

Warnings: 0
I didn't think Norway's song was too bad but I don't really think it deserved to be such a standout winner. I believe it got the biggest ever points in a Eurovision song contest by quite a margin!

I don't think there were any amazing songs, but there were a few which were alright, and I thought it would be more of a close-call at the top of the leaderboard.

It's always a bit dull when you get a country that gets so many points early on that even halfway through, you know it's almost definitely going to win.

The UK did very well this year, probably mainly due to the hard work of Jade and ALW. What exactly happened with the judging panel thing? Or was that used during the semi-finals? I thought 50% of the votes came from a panel but I don't remember it being mentioned tonight - I was a bit confused by that.

jiveclive

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:57 pm    Author: jiveclive    Post subject: Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2009

Well! Jade certainly had a good set of lungs on her!! And 5th place! The UK's best for seven years! I'm glad Norway won. The song was very old fashioned and catchy.

Everything turned out great after all. Well done Jade! ;)

cookie_monster

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 12:04 am    Author: cookie_monster    Post subject: Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2009

I thought Azerbaijan were quite good. Our person reminded me of Leona Lewis...

jiveclive

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 12:06 am    Author: jiveclive    Post subject: Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2009

cookie_monster wrote:
I thought Azerbaijan were quite good. Our person reminded me of Leona Lewis...

Funnily enough how somebody said we needed to send Leona Lewis in Eurovision.

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 12:18 am    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject: Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2009

h2005 wrote:
I didn't think Norway's song was too bad but I don't really think it deserved to be such a standout winner. I believe it got the biggest ever points in a Eurovision song contest by quite a margin!

I don't think there were any amazing songs, but there were a few which were alright, and I thought it would be more of a close-call at the top of the leaderboard.

It's always a bit dull when you get a country that gets so many points early on that even halfway through, you know it's almost definitely going to win.

The UK did very well this year, probably mainly due to the hard work of Jade and ALW. What exactly happened with the judging panel thing? Or was that used during the semi-finals? I thought 50% of the votes came from a panel but I don't remember it being mentioned tonight - I was a bit confused by that.

I remember Graham saying near the start that the juries/judging panel had already cast their votes beforehand based on the dress rehearsal performances of the songs they had seen and that their votes would be combined with the viewer votes from the final.

Though i'm not sure how they calculated the viewers votes along with the panel's choice as they seemed to make no mention of it during the voting process at the end. So technically they (as in the production) could have known who was likely to win based on the voting from the juries before even any of the viewers votes were included.

It would have been interesting to see how the viewers votes differed from what the panel thought. Maybe they (the juries) were helpful for the UK's successful night (which in comparison to previous years I think we can classify this as a successful night for the UK).

StatsMan

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 12:23 am    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2009

Obviously, that was a great result for the UK - in fact, I would have said anything in the top half of the leaderboard was good given our finishes in recent years. Sure, a fair deal of that was due to the change in the voting system having a jury vote counting for 50%, but at least we finished in a respectable position, which I really thought wouldn't happen for a long time to come yet. I'm glad it paid off to a large extent as ALW and Jade clearly put a lot of effort into promoting the song around Europe and into making the song the best it could be.

Overall, it was a decent night of songs. Ones I quite liked were Iceland, Greece, Azerbaijan, Denmark, Turkey (and UK!). Didn't really like France, Armenia, Moldova and Ukraine. No real stand-out winner like H said, but a lot of songs on a similar level. Norway did not deserve such a landslide victory in my opinion, although it was a nice enough song. Just because it's catchy, doesn't make it great, in fact in parts it was quite irritating.

Good to see it returning to a song contest, though.

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

Last edited by StatsMan on Sun May 17, 2009 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Duffer

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 12:31 am    Author: Duffer    Post subject: Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2009

Much better showing from us this year, although I thought she was a bit 'shouty' with her vocals at times. Proves that people will vote for us if we churn out a decent song! Let's face it, our entries over the last few years have been nothing short of dreadful...

Simon F

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 1:26 am    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2009

h2005 wrote:
What exactly happened with the judging panel thing? Or was that used during the semi-finals? I thought 50% of the votes came from a panel but I don't remember it being mentioned tonight - I was a bit confused by that.

http://www.eurovision.tv/page/moscow2009/voting

Quote:
In the Final
•After all songs have been performed, viewers in all 42 participating countries can vote by making a phone call and/or sending an SMS for their favorite song(s). You are allowed to vote up to 20 times, but you cannot vote for your own country
•Each country then gives 12 points to the most popular entry, 10 points to the second most popular, then 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points

•Professional juries in all 42 countries vote as well. Just like the televoters, each jury in each country then gives 12 points to the most popular entry, 10 points to the second most popular, then 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points
•The televoting results and the jury results are then merged per country. Each result counts for 50%
•Spokespersons in all 42 countries will read out the merged results, giving 12 points to the most popular entry, 10 points to the second most popular, then 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points
•The country with the highest number of points wins the 54th Eurovision Song Contest

garylq

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:29 am    Author: garylq    Post subject: Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2009

I enjoyed the show, plenty of rubbish in there as usual, but some good stuff too and best song won. The political voting was very much diluted by the new voting system, so I think it was a big success, the organisers still get their revenue from the phone votes, but a fairer result too, everybodys happy so I hope they keep it.

Jade was excellent, best vocalist of the night and our best entry for ages, well done to her for getting 5th, she was worth 2nd in my opinion. Wasn't impressed by Graham Norton though, he was too restrained, I wonder if he will be back next year.

The most bizairre momemt for me; Burlesque artist Dita Von Teese and her ultra skinny waist posing on stage during the German song.

greeny

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:00 am    Author: greeny    Post subject: Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2009

You're among the very small minority of people who didn't like Norton - I read somewhere about 98% liked Norton, and I thought he was a considerable improvement on Wogan.

Maud

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:47 pm    Author: Maud    Post subject: Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2009

I was forced to watch Eurovision after giving up on it a few years ago and I actually really enjoyed it... who would have thought.

My faves were Turkey and Iceland... i HATED Norways pile of poop and thought the singer was rougher then a crack addict on their death bed but still people go on about fancying him... clearly nuts the lot of them.

I loved the water things from the ceiling with the dancers in... such a great idea and wow factorish at the same time.

I agree with Ernie/Gary about Graham Norton, I thought he done well but was held back... probably because he was told to not be too "him like". There were times when u could tell he really wanted to say something but knew he would probably get told off. Apart from that he done a very good job and had me in stitches at some points.

tr4962

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:46 pm    Author: tr4962    Post subject: Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2009

I was Expecting Graham Norton to be a terrible replacement, but he was actually quite good, the only bit i didn't like was that he was a lot more biased towards the UK than Terry Wogan always was during the voting stage.
Other than that he was good, but i still prefer Terry

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:29 pm    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject: Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2009

So what's the main comment that Jade's be getting about her performance on Saturday... well it's not about the song, more about the moment where Jade got knocked by the violinist after getting too close to him.

I never saw it happen myself on Saturday, but at 1:05 on the video you can see where Jade got a slight knock from the violinist - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBykhFyy-ZE

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject: Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2009

Also if the voting on Saturday was based on just the juries votes alone then the UK would have finished in 3rd with 223 points. Norway also clinched the top spot with the juries, scoring it overall with 312 points.

Here's the link to how the juries rated each country - http://www.eurovision.tv/page/news?id=2803

LINDY LOU

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:40 am    Author: LINDY LOU    Post subject: Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2009

:smt034 :smt034 I fell in love with a fairytale
Even though it hurt
I don't care if I lose my mind
............................ :laughing

Loved it and Grayham Norton.

killersbee

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:53 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2009

mike wrote:
So what next for the UK next year...

I bet that we'll be back in the bottom spot as normal :lol:

[ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » TV - Films - MusicAll times are UTC [ DST ]