Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:27 am Last visit was: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:27 am

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » TV - Films - MusicAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 76 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

garylq

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 5:52 pm    Author: garylq    Post subject: Eurovision Song Contest 2009

Warnings: 0
Russia hosts this years competition on Saturday 16th May. The semi-finals are on Tuesday 12th and Thursday 14th May. For the first time Graham Norton commentates for the BBC, it won't be easy replacing Terry Wogan who commentated in 1973, 1978 and every year from 1980 to 2008.

The strong favourite at the moment is the Norwegian entry, Fairytale by Alexander Rybak, justifiably in my opinion, a catchy song and just the right type for Eurovision. The fact that he was born in Minsk and has Russian style dancers on stage with him can only help, he should pick up lots of votes. Personally I'm not too keen on the Andrew Lloyd Webber written UK entry, It's My Time by Jade, a good singer perhaps, but a mediocre song. Maybe we will do a bit better than in recent years due to changes to the voting system, but I am still expecting us to finish in the bottom half.

Norwegian Entry on Youtube

UK Entry on Youtube

killersbee

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 7:07 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2009

We will be finishing in the bottom half again so why do we bother taking part? :roll:

MisterAl

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 7:24 pm    Author: MisterAl    Post subject: Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2009

Am I the only person here who actually likes the UK entry then? It's a strong song sung by a strong singer. As far as I can tell, it's already going down well with the rest of Europe too, so I reckon it's got a good chance of a decent finish.

Not that it's a patch on the Czech Republic's entry, which is just SO GROUNDBREAKING that I don't think that the European public will be able to cope with such brilliance.

greeny

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:38 pm    Author: greeny    Post subject: Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2009

At least we have taken it seriously this year, and with the voting now being 50/50 between the public and jury voting with the combined scores added up for overall points, we might do better this year.

That Czech entry is absolutely terrible, I hope that gets voted out in the semi final. I'll have a gander through them and see which are my favourites.

MisterAl

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:48 pm    Author: MisterAl    Post subject: Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2009

greeny wrote:
That Czech entry is absolutely terrible, I hope that gets voted out in the semi final.

Heresy! Have you seen that guy's moves?!

Sadly, it seems that once again, the world isn't quite ready to recognise a truly great artistic talent...

greeny

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 10:02 pm    Author: greeny    Post subject: Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2009

It's certainly artistic.....

I am not a big fan of gimmicky acts though, hence why I hated that Ukrainian entry a couple of years ago which I think was a drag queen.

Power5

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 10:28 pm    Author: Power5    Post subject: Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2009

MisterAl wrote:
greeny wrote:
That Czech entry is absolutely terrible, I hope that gets voted out in the semi final.

Sadly, it seems that once again, the world isn't quite ready to recognise a truly great artistic talent...

I thought it was a song contest...

Whatever the British entry is like, I'm sure we will finish in the bottom six as the rest of Europe still hates us!

MisterAl

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 11:18 pm    Author: MisterAl    Post subject: Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2009

Power5 wrote:

Have you never seen Eurovision before, then...?

Power5

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 11:21 pm    Author: Power5    Post subject: Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2009

MisterAl wrote:
Power5 wrote:

Have you never seen Eurovision before, then...?

Yes, but the dancing surely doesn't rescue a crap song (though it's probably true in most cases that both are terrible!)

The bit worth tuning in for used to be Wogan commentating on the political scoring, won't even have that this year!

greeny

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 11:54 pm    Author: greeny    Post subject: Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2009

I've heard them all now and my personal favourites are the entries from Greece, Ireland, Malta, Romania and Andorra.

alex xxx

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:36 pm    Author: alex xxx    Post subject: Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2009

I only have one thing to say to this BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
For two reasons firstly we are wasting time and money entering this its all politics anyway even if its half public voting because nobody likes us and thats a fact.
Secondly and farrrrrr more importantly: THEY HAVE TAKEN CASUALTY OFF FOR THIS TOTAL RUBBISH! And it was on a cliff hanger too and now I have to wait a fortnight for it to come back on :smt019
In conclusion Bah Humbug!

h2005

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:42 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2009
Administrator & Global Moderator

MisterAl wrote:
greeny wrote:

Brilliant. The guy has a nice hairpiece.

I do hope Norton brings his own presenting style to it rather than trying to copy Wogan. Mind you, I'm not sure if I'd prefer Norton being himself or Norton copying Wogan... both are equally as bad! Can't say I'll be making a point of tuning in this year. I've seen no trailers for it or anything, which is a bit odd. Normally they're heavily publicising it but they don't seem to be this year.

Still, Norton updated itself the other day according to a pop-up message, so there's hope for a new presenting style. That may have been the Internet Security version, though.

MisterAl

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:08 am    Author: MisterAl    Post subject: Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2009

h2005 wrote:
Still, Norton updated itself the other day according to a pop-up message, so there's hope for a new presenting style. That may have been the Internet Security version, though.

With killer gags lines like that, I'm surprised nobody's ever put you on the telly. Oh, hang on...

Back on topic, it's not as utterly fabulous as the Czech entry, but the Serbian song is also worth checking out. What a voice!

h2005

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:13 am    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2009

Ok, his hairpiece beats that of the man in the previous entry!

greeny

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:30 am    Author: greeny    Post subject: Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2009

I've seen nothing but ads for Eurovision when I've been watching BBC, so I don't know what you've been watching David.

I hate that Serbian entry as well!

Norway is the heaviest favourite to win there has been since Tatu (who didn't win) in 2005, but the UK is faring well in polls done in other countries about their favourite songs.

h2005

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 1:39 am    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2009

greeny wrote:
I've seen nothing but ads for Eurovision when I've been watching BBC, so I don't know what you've been watching David.

I don't watch a huge amount of TV (apart from DOND!) but whenever I have BBC One on (such as for Ashes to Ashes), I haven't seen any trailers for it. I just guess I haven't been paying attention when they've been on.

h2005

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 1:46 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2009

Ok, I've just seen a trailer for it for the first time...

tr4962

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 5:44 pm    Author: tr4962    Post subject: Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2009

The only ones i have heard are the U.K one which i thought was dreadfully dull, and the swedish one, which i thought was very good

cool-luke-18

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:43 pm    Author: cool-luke-18    Post subject: Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2009

In recent years it has become a joke, people in the past have voted for certain countries rather than what they actually think of the performances. Hopefully the judges vote combined with the public vote should lead to more fairer voting although I do think that there is still a long way to go and we may never get there.

greeny

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:28 pm    Author: greeny    Post subject: Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2009

Good set of results tonight, most of the Eastern countries got knocked out, and most of my favourites got through.

I've not decided that if we can't win it, which is more than likely, I want Iceland to win, what a brilliant song, and the girl singing has a great voice and is rather pleasing on the eye ;-)

[ 76 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » TV - Films - MusicAll times are UTC [ DST ]