Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 11:24 am Last visit was: Fri May 03, 2024 11:24 am

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » TV - Films - MusicAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

kestral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:20 pm    Author: kestral    Post subject: Re: So is anyone actually going to watch Noel's HQ?
Site Owner, Administrator & Global Moderator

Warnings: 0
Rico sums up the show pretty well....

Noel even does his bit by helping out one of his old presening buddies Cheggers return to our screens :-D Keep a look out to see if he does the same for another of his pals Mr. Blobby :lol:

rico7 wrote:
kestral wrote:
It's now turned into a rather surreal "Noel's house party" and Cheggers in dancing around in a wheelie bin :shock:

:) That's right Kes, I think the show is a combo of Noel's Christmas Gifts, Noel's House Party and That's Life. The feature about the ice creams vans could easily have seen Esther Rantzen popping up surruptitiously to surprise another unsuspecting councillor.
Personally I enjoyed it though as it has a cosy 1970s/80s feel to it (shows my age!!) :D

Maud

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:34 pm    Author: Maud    Post subject: Re: So is anyone actually going to watch Noel's HQ?

:ponder: :ponder: :ponder: :ponder: :ponder:

Yup... thats me

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:43 pm    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject: Re: So is anyone actually going to watch Noel's HQ?

Here's what the Sun TV Critic, Ally Ross, thought of the show (not a lot basically, but that's no different from most shows he reviews).

Ally Ross wrote:
SUNDAY night, 7pm, and Noel Edmonds seems to be asking if there’s anything more annoying than “red tape”.

A good question.

So, off the top of my head: Emotional blackmail, product placement, control freaks, egomaniacs, hypocrisy, scare-mongering, insincerity, nutbags who bang on about cosmic ordering and Andi Peters are all more annoying than red tape.

In short, almost everything about Noel’s HQ, on Sky1. The maddest TV show you never did see.

A deranged hotchpotch of House Party, That’s Life, Hearts Of Gold and Challenge Anneka, with Noel performing “random acts of kindness”/free advertising.

One man’s attempt to heal Broken Britain, with help from: Bianca Gascoigne, Nell McAndrew, the Gladiators, Rolf Harris, Noel Edmonds’ dog, a pantomime camel and Keith Chegwin dressed as a singing wheelie bin. A case of so far, so gah-gah.

But, of course, the real edge-tipper here was Kim Jong Noel himself. A man who’s had, by any standards, an interesting week.

He started it being followed by two celestial orbs and vowing to go to jail rather than pay his BBC licence fee. He ended it like a man on a mission.

Exactly what that mission is still escapes me. But Noel clearly thinks he follows in the footsteps of Bob Geldof, Winston Churchill and Nelson Mandela.

I, on the other hand, think he follows in the footsteps of David Icke.

This is the turquoise tracksuit phase of Noel’s career.

And, like all cult leaders/snake oil salesmen, he started NHQ with an end-is-nigh view of Britain (“The politicians have failed”), asking questions to which the only possible answer could be “Yes”.

“Are you concerned with lack of freedom?

“Would you like to be part of a fairer Britain?” “Are you unhappy with life in Britain today?” Right now? Between 7 and 8.30pm, September 14, 2008. Definitely.

Though I think you know the solution to all these problems, don’t you?

The Reverend Noel, who was all over this one like an avenging angel.

One minute he was dispensing Noel’s Organ Donor Cards (Who gets his ego?) and claiming “This could be the most important commercial break in television history”.

The next he was singing a “Bonkers Britain” ditty with Cheggers, and denouncing the evils of Worcester City Council, who have almost, but not really, banned ice-cream van jingles.

Overall effect was meant to be “energising”. But I just found the show downright, bloody nutzoid and it ended with the truly bizarre sight of Noel asking his dog if he’d “enjoyed that”.

The dog remained silent. You suspect it was still coming to terms with the idea of Mr Blobby saving the nation.

Or it may have been panting at the nerve of Noel Edmonds denouncing politicians and the BBC, despite the fact he donated a £150,000 gift to the Labour Party in 2005, grew obscenely rich off the licence fee and filmed NHQ in rented BBC studios.

Either way, his final Random Act Of Free Advertising was to rescue one couple stranded by the XL collapse.

“That’s what we’ve done. What are you going to do?” he demanded, somewhat menacingly.

A suggestion, for all XL victims.

Contact visitmalta.com, who donated the “free” holiday, and tell them Noel Edmonds sent you.

Then, and only then, will you understand his real Sunday night message.

Noel’s FUHQ.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... 556133.ece

h2005

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:01 am    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: So is anyone actually going to watch Noel's HQ?
Administrator & Global Moderator

Not a great review there, but the whole show sounded rather odd. I didn't see it as I can't get Sky One so I can't really judge, although this bit is food for thought (if it's right):

Quote:
Noel Edmonds denouncing politicians and the BBC, despite the fact he donated a £150,000 gift to the Labour Party in 2005, grew obscenely rich off the licence fee and filmed NHQ in rented BBC studios.

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:31 am    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject: Re: So is anyone actually going to watch Noel's HQ?

I read his column most weeks and the majority of his reviews are generally negative about any TV show he reviews. He's rarely positive about any show, but I suppose he is a critic after all.

The show didn't perform too well in the ratings for Sky either, especially after all the publicity that was going around for the show (and the additional publicity from Noel's revelations).

Digital Spy wrote:
Sky1 had a slightly disappointing Sunday night performance despite broadcasting a much-publicised one-off special Noel's HQ. The 90-minute live show, which saw Noel Edmonds attempt to "reinvigorate our community spirit", managed 415,000 (2.1%) at 7pm. It was actually slightly down on the slot average of 421,000 (2.3%).

Though Sky1 is only available in limited households (around 10m I think) and so the ratings were never going to be massive, but I suspect Sky were expecting a lot more than that.

greeny

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:46 pm    Author: greeny    Post subject: Re: So is anyone actually going to watch Noel's HQ?

I'm only going on the ratings Gladiators got on Sky1, but those ratings are not that bad (Glads averaged about 600k, with 3 shows having over 1 million).

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:17 pm    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject: Re: So is anyone actually going to watch Noel's HQ?

I'm guessing it did well enough in the ratings to warrant a return. With a 5-part series of Noel's HQ returning to Sky1 in January.

twofour broadcast wrote:
Noel Edmonds and his team of helpers aim to inspire, encourage and empower every viewer to make an immediate and enduring contribution to life in Britain.

Noel’s HQ was seen as a response to the growing frustration being felt by millions who see their nation changing for the worse and their communities, and therefore their lives, changing forever. The series will attempt to answer the key questions to which millions of us are desperately seeking the answers:

Noel’s HQ will combine doing good with “feel-good” and will attempt to change people’s lives forever. From local projects to nationwide campaigns; from light-hearted stories investigating “Bonkers Britain” to heart warming stories of generosity and bravery, Noel’s HQ will attempt to inspire significant social change across Britain. A host of famous celebrities will be getting behind our stories to make a real difference and we'll be asking viewers to back a number of campaigns called “SNOEL-Balls,” initiatives that will start sm [article stops :ponder: ]
http://www.twofourbroadcast.com/noel's-hq2.asp

I'm not sure if I want to be involved in a campaign about Noel's "SNOEL-Balls" :eyes:

Craig

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:27 pm    Author: Craig    Post subject: Re: So is anyone actually going to watch Noel's HQ?

Im so glad its coming back! I thought it was a great show and glad its returning for a series of shows!!

Im also looking forward to Noels Christmas Presents! I love shows that go out and help others!

KP

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:43 am    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: So is anyone actually going to watch Noel's HQ?
International Forums Moderator

Oh I despair.

Noel donated a six-figure sum to the Labour Party in 2005? Oh how ironic. Oh how wonderfully ironic he donated money to the nominally-'helping' party that were spending that time epically blowing a bubble around financial recklessness sold as something else while spinning it as either helpful for all or even positively necessary, while denouncing opposition. It all fell apart in mid-2007 when people worked out it couldn't last.

That description should be familiar to DoND fans too...

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:56 pm    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject: Re: So is anyone actually going to watch Noel's HQ?

Noel's Christmas Presents 2008 is on tonight at 6pm for any Sky viewers wishing to watch. Or if you miss tonight's airing of the show it is repeated 14 times over Christmas...yes 14 repeats. :eyes:

KP

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:55 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: So is anyone actually going to watch Noel's HQ?
International Forums Moderator

That's how little Sky 1 has to air, folks...

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:01 am    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject: Re: So is anyone actually going to watch Noel's HQ?

Noel's HQ returns this Saturday to Sky1 in the prime-time slot of 7:30pm - 8:30pm. I was expecting a Sunday night slot for the show myself.

The show is again live so it'll be the first time since Noel's House Party that Noel presents a live Saturday night prime-time programme (apart from the pre-recorded late evening Saturday episodes of DOND a couple of years back).

Not sure how it'll do in the ratings in that time-slot, but it's competing with In It To Win It on BBC1 and Demons on ITV1. Of course as it's Sky there will no doubt be various repeats of the show.

Info for the first episode - Noel’s back with a new live series which celebrates the best of Britain and challenges the people and attitudes which drive us mad. Each week we’ll be cutting through red tape and trying to make Britain even better. Noel and a host of celebrities will be surprising and rewarding those who work tirelessly for others and asking for viewers to get involved with a number of campaigns. Tonight sees the launch of Noel’s Big Band, a musical instruments amnesty which brings back to life long forgotten trumpets, tubas and tambourines by giving them to school children who don’t get the chance to play. Famous musicians will kick off the campaign in the studio as we aim to hit the right note by digging out the silent orchestra lying in cupboards and attics around the country. Comedian and singer Chris Cohen will take a humorous look at the Bonkers Britain stories of the week and Konnie Huq will be live at a mystery location to give someone the surprise of their life. Anyone could find themselves on live TV as Noel’s HQ takes to the air.

hammondstar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:37 pm    Author: hammondstar    Post subject: Re: So is anyone actually going to watch Noel's HQ?

Solskjaer was there in the audience yesterday with his Mum.

Tell us all about it, Sols!

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:19 am    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject: Re: So is anyone actually going to watch Noel's HQ?

For a minute I thought Noel had visited my town for this show, but it was a misleading headline. :|

Welwyn Hatfield Times wrote:
Noel Edmonds Delivers Welwyn Hatfield's Meals On Wheels

NOEL Edmonds has stepped in to deliver hot meals after the WHT highlighted the service's plight.

The Deal or No Deal star now fronts Noel's HQ where he aims to "make a difference to Britain".

So when he read in the WHT that 180 of Welwyn Hatfield's most vulnerable elderly and disabled missed out on their dinner - for some their only hot food of the day - he sent in his team.

Kingfisher Caterers based in Brownfields, WGC, whipped up hot meals and celebrity presenter Gabby Roslin and chef Nancy Lam visited Woodside Care Home, Bridge Road, WGC.

See Noel and his team on Sky 1 at 7.30pm tomorrow (Saturday) night.
http://www.whtimes.co.uk/content/whtime ... :09:26:273

Noel has indeed helped out in the town with a kind gesture, but instead he sent Gabby Roslin and Nancy Lam to help out.

I did read about that story though that due to the snow they cancelled the Meals on Wheels for a couple of days.

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:17 pm    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject: Re: So is anyone actually going to watch Noel's HQ?

I saw this yesterday and after one of the stories Noel got really worked up and angry over a response from the Council who said "we don't talk to entertainment shows like yours".

Even Noel commented afterwards that he can't remember feeling this angry and that he's never been this angry in a studio before.

I know I can't ever remember Noel getting so worked up before.

The link below will show you the segment from yesterday's show and why Noel got so passionate. Noel's response to the Council statement starts from about 5:30 in the video.
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joPKT6rDa6M <<

h2005

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:52 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: So is anyone actually going to watch Noel's HQ?

I think Noel went too over the top there. To suggest that the press officer of that council should get the sack simply because he didn't want the council to comment on Noel's programme is silly. Also, technically Noel's programme is an entertainment programme because it's on Sky 1... which broadcasts entertainment.

I can see Noel is getting very passionate about it but I don't think waging war against a district council is going to achieve anything at all.

MisterAl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:35 pm    Author: MisterAl    Post subject: Re: So is anyone actually going to watch Noel's HQ?

Yes. No matter how worthy the cause, making personal attacks against a press officer (who isn't even responsible for making those planning decisions) seems to be missing the point somewhat.

Still though. At least his hair looked good.

h2005

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:45 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: So is anyone actually going to watch Noel's HQ?

I was also quite surprised to see a statement from Gordon Brown on the matter. Assuming the applicants have appealed, it could end up in the hands of the Planning Inspectorate (which ironically is located in Bristol) and that is effectviely run by the DCLG which is a prominent government department.

The decision of that appeal could be an interesting one now that Gordon Brown has commented on it. In fact because he's commented on it, I wouldn't be surprised if any appeal is now null and void.

Anyway, I'm going off on one about planning issues. It was nice to see Noel wearing clothes which made him visible on set. We wouldn't want him wearing clothes which made him look camouflaged - that could be a safety issue.

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:38 am    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject: Re: So is anyone actually going to watch Noel's HQ?

Interestingly (or not) when they repeated this episode of Noel's HQ they actually cut some off Noel's original "rant" out. Mainly the bit where he talks about the council officer and who pays your money etc...and any other more personal remarks got cut. I don't know weather this was perhaps Sky were advised to or maybe the council complained?

Anyway, remembering this isn't an entertainment show of course, here's the Bonker's Britain segment from the very same show. Whereby Noel talks about silly things like milk cartons that warn you it contains milk, some guy singing a silly song and Keith Chegwin messing aroud. In no way is this meant to be entertaining of course - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqDLKjLtge0 (nice little run to desk Noel :P ).

h2005

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:28 am    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: So is anyone actually going to watch Noel's HQ?

Yes... it's not an entertainment show at all is it! Unfortunately I was entertained by Keith Chegwin and Noel Edmonds in that clip.

[ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » TV - Films - MusicAll times are UTC [ DST ]