Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 10:17 pm Last visit was: Thu May 02, 2024 10:17 pm

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » DoND Activities, Games & Quizzes Forums » UK & Worldwide Forum Series » All Other Series and GamesAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

cfd

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:19 pm    Author: cfd    Post subject: KP vs cfd yet again

Warnings: 0
Board is slightly modified...

1p
£5
£10
£50
£100
£250
£500
£750

£1,000
£2,000
£3,000

£5,000
£7,500
£10,000
£15,000
£20,000
£25,000
£35,000
£50,000
£75,000
£100,000
£250,000

Choose your box. Then your first five :)

KP

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:05 am    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: KP vs cfd yet again
International Forums Moderator

I'll take 17. First round: 8, 2, 4, 6, and 10.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

cfd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:31 pm    Author: cfd    Post subject: Re: KP vs cfd yet again

KP has box 17!

Round One

8: £75,000 - Bad start!
2: £50 - Better!
4: £35,000 - Eek
6: £10 - And a bankers power 5 reply once more!
10: 1p - And another!

The banker thought that round was going his way but you've actually eliminated 3 of the lowest 4 values on this board!

Banker's offer:

£13,652

KP

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:35 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: KP vs cfd yet again

Nothing dull about that round, and I think all told it fairly well cancels out. Should be able to get a decent result, anyway, so No Deal.

16, 14, 12.

In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

cfd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:56 pm    Author: cfd    Post subject: Re: KP vs cfd yet again

Round Two

16: £1,000
14: £500 - Shaping up to be a good round!
12: £250,000 - Ah :(

Banker's offer:

£8,250

KP

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:06 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: KP vs cfd yet again

Should still be able to get a five-figure win out of this. NO DEAL.

22, 18, 20.

cfd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:18 pm    Author: cfd    Post subject: Re: KP vs cfd yet again

Round Three

22: £5,000
18: £25,000
20: £3,000

Banker's offer:

£8,250

KP

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:41 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: KP vs cfd yet again

I stand by my opinion this game should produce a five-figure win; NO DEAL.

15, 19, 21.

cfd

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:26 am    Author: cfd    Post subject: Re: KP vs cfd yet again

Round Four

15: £100
19: £20,000
21: £100,000

The banker says your optimism of a 5 figure win is quite misplaced!

Banker's offer:

£5,921

KP

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:11 am    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: KP vs cfd yet again

Yes, it's looking less likely from here, but though it's far from a stingy offer, there's four higher, so it's fairly safe to chase this, and far enough from the mean that there is, in fact, something to chase. NO DEAL.

11, 13, 9.

cfd

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:12 pm    Author: cfd    Post subject: Re: KP vs cfd yet again

Round Five

11: £10,000
13: £5
9: £2,000

The banker acknowledges that this has ended with a reasonably strong 5 box...

Banker's offer:

£8,249

KP

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:53 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: KP vs cfd yet again

This is more interesting. Over the median, and over half the mean, with a definite disaster chance, albeit only 10%.

I can't help but think he's using reverse psychology on me with the specific offer: make an offer that looks like it's designed to lure me on, in the hope that I respond to the incitement to gamble in the way Cee-Lo Green responds to seeing someone driving round town with the girl he loves. ;)

There's only a 10% disaster chance, and a 50% chance of an offer in five figures - NO DEAL.

7, 5, 3.

cfd

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:03 pm    Author: cfd    Post subject: Re: KP vs cfd yet again

Let's hope it works out...

Round Six

7: £250 - Perfect start
5: £50,000 - No!
3: £750 - Phew!

£7,500 and £15,000 remaining...

You wanted 5 figures. You're not getting it!

Banker's offer:

£9,725

KP

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:02 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: KP vs cfd yet again

The Banker has just forfeited any attempt to buy that box. £7,500 is near enough the territory I have been in all game, and at these stakes the pot odds make the decision screamingly obvious - NO DEAL.

No swap either, I have the box I want on the table...

cfd

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:16 pm    Author: cfd    Post subject: Re: KP vs cfd yet again

Erm. The banker has just realised he's made the wrong offer! He was basing it on a £5k/£15k finish! He thinks it wouldn't be fair if he didn't give you a new offer. So you do indeed get your 5 figure offer!

Banker's offer:

£10,900

KP

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:26 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: KP vs cfd yet again

That's the right offer for the board.

£3,400 at risk, £4,100 to gain. Marginal enough that I'm taking the slightly quirky amount instead of the gamble. DEAL.

cfd

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:22 am    Author: cfd    Post subject: Re: KP vs cfd yet again

Your box contained..... £7,500!

So, you sold your box at a profit, but there was more to be won had you taken the first offer.

Hang on, the banker is ringing.

It's not over!

Two orange boxes are produced. One contains the phrase "NOTHING". One contains the phrase "JUMP THE SHARK". If you wish to take the gamble you can choose either box 1 or box 2. If you select "NOTHING" then you leave with nothing. If you select "JUMP THE SHARK" your winnings are doubled.

Banker's offer:

BANKER'S SPECIAL GAMBLE

KP

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:21 am    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: KP vs cfd yet again

That just made my weekend. :D No Deal to the gamble, I am keeping what I took.

cfd

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:20 pm    Author: cfd    Post subject: Re: KP vs cfd yet again

So, KP's final winnings ar- oh, hang on. The banker is ringing again.

Two more boxes are produced. These ones are blue. One contains the phrase "NOTHING". One contains the phrase "I IMPLORE YOU TO TAKE THE GAMBLE". You get to select one orange box and one blue box. If you pick either of "JUMP THE SHARK" or "I IMPLORE YOU TO TAKE THE GAMBLE" then your winnings are doubled. If you select "NOTHING" from both boxes then you leave with nothing.

Banker's offer:

BANKER'S SPECIAL GAMBLE

KP

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:30 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: KP vs cfd yet again

This is a sufficiently marginal decision that my principles must win out. No Deal. *rushes to open a blue box before the Banker can ring again*

[ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » DoND Activities, Games & Quizzes Forums » UK & Worldwide Forum Series » All Other Series and GamesAll times are UTC [ DST ]