Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 9:37 pm Last visit was: Sun May 05, 2024 9:37 pm

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close on 21 June 2024 (extended deadline). More info here.

Deal or No Deal will return for a new series later in 2024.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Jeremy Kyle's Dad

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:00 pm    Author: Jeremy Kyle's Dad    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

Warnings: 0
I said it before and it got deleted, so I'll say it again...

I thought it was great to see another 1p winner. I lapped it up.

daniel4389

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:09 pm    Author: daniel4389    Post subject:

That was deleted?? That seems rather harsh...

No Deal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:12 pm    Author: No Deal    Post subject:

daniel4389 wrote:
That was deleted?? That seems rather harsh...

The post in question contained a little bit more than the one posted above!

daniel4389

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:15 pm    Author: daniel4389    Post subject:

Ah, that would explain it!

Can't say I take much pleasure from seeing 1p wins, but I have my party hats ready for the first 50p game...

h2005

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:57 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject:
Administrator & Global Moderator

rico7 wrote:
Sorry Lisa but I disagree. I would have sooner seen Connell go away with over £18,000 for his family, and Sally win similar than be "entertained" by watching them win 1p. Also it is entertaining in the proveout after an early deal to see if the contestant has beaten the banker or if they have thrown away a large amount of money. You owe Endemol nothing. The object should be to maximise your chances of beating the banker and pocket a healthy amount of money, which sometimes means taking a good offer early.

I have to agree with you, rico7. And in reponse to Power5, who said that the show isn't called "turn up and get an easy ten grand for your family", it's not called "gamble and win a low amount when you could have dealt earlier at a high amount", is it?

Power5

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:39 pm    Author: Power5    Post subject:

h2005 wrote:
rico7 wrote:
Sorry Lisa but I disagree. I would have sooner seen Connell go away with over £18,000 for his family, and Sally win similar than be "entertained" by watching them win 1p. Also it is entertaining in the proveout after an early deal to see if the contestant has beaten the banker or if they have thrown away a large amount of money. You owe Endemol nothing. The object should be to maximise your chances of beating the banker and pocket a healthy amount of money, which sometimes means taking a good offer early.

I have to agree with you, rico7. And in reponse to Power5, who said that the show isn't called "turn up and get an easy ten grand for your family", it's not called "gamble and win a low amount when you could have dealt earlier at a high amount", is it?

No, and (unlike one or two people here!) I do like to see SOME games where people deal at the right time, beat the Banker and get an amount that's right for them. But I like to see £50,000+ wins even more and for people to get those they have to take risks that could end up with them leaving with 1p or similar!

As a viewer the 1p games etc. are the price we have to pay to see the big wins. OK a 1p contestant doesn't get that second chance (well, maybe they will once there's 22 in that phonebox...) but hopefully the producers will choose a majority of contestants who can handle that possibility and take the occasional risk. It's not always a "nice" show and if it was, it would lose the excitement that makes it a ratings winner.

painkiller

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:42 pm    Author: painkiller    Post subject:

I never suggested in my post that I would deal after a good second round offer.

The point I was trying to make, though badly it seems, is that people go to the chair with a target, say £15k, and take no notice when they get offered £18k.

That to me is greed and can only lead to disappointmet.

I wouldn't have a target if I was sat there and would be there purely to play the game.

I am by nature a gambler and I have always said to my wife that if I ever got on I would open my box and whatever was in it would be what I went home with.

h2005

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:44 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject:
Administrator & Global Moderator

painkiller wrote:
I never suggested in my post that I would deal after a good second round offer.

The point I was trying to make, though badly it seems, is that people go to the chair with a target, say £15k, and take no notice when they get offered £18k.

That to me is greed and can only lead to disappointmet.

I wouldn't have a target if I was sat there and would be there purely to play the game.

I am by nature a gambler and I have always said to my wife that if I ever got on I would open my box and whatever was in it would be what I went home with.

Well, people like you (gamblers) are admittedly the ones who are going to win the £250k!

muttleee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:01 pm    Author: muttleee    Post subject:

Power5 wrote:
No, and (unlike one or two people here!) I do like to see SOME games where people deal at the right time, beat the Banker and get an amount that's right for them. But I like to see £50,000+ wins even more and for people to get those they have to take risks that could end up with them leaving with 1p or similar!

As a viewer the 1p games etc. are the price we have to pay to see the big wins. OK a 1p contestant doesn't get that second chance (well, maybe they will once there's 22 in that phonebox...) but hopefully the producers will choose a majority of contestants who can handle that possibility and take the occasional risk. It's not always a "nice" show and if it was, it would lose the excitement that makes it a ratings winner.

The thing I don't get is why some people have clear targets in mind at the start of the game but forget about them once they've been offered an amount equal to or greater than that. Either don't have a target at all or have one and stick to it! If you're offered what you want and turn it down, you have to be prepared to lose the lot as has happened with unfortunate regularity in the last few days.

There was also a guy a few weeks ago who only wanted £6,000 to pay off student debts yet he turned down £15,000 I think it was and ended up with a blue amount. There was a golden chance to be debt free and still have £9,000 to spend but he risked that security and unfortunately for him it didn't pay off. Crazy.

daniel4389

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:11 pm    Author: daniel4389    Post subject:

Obviously nobody "owes" the show anything, but after standing there for 20-odd shows, you must have certain expectations for your own game, and taking the second offer when you're finally picked must feel like a bit of an anti-climax. I think Aaron said that one of the reasons he turned down £30,000 (his second offer, and ultimately his highest) was that he wanted to put on more of a show - I think that's the main factor behind people turning down high amounts early on that meet or exceed their targets. They don't want to "waste" their time in the spotlight, after having waited so long for it. (Which I can entirely understand.)

Power5

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:03 pm    Author: Power5    Post subject:

There were rumours that contestants had been told that their game may not be broadcast if they took a very early deal (probably first or second offer). I think it was Aaron who said on here that wasn't the case, for him at least, but who knows maybe some have been told that?

Suezan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:41 am    Author: Suezan    Post subject:

[ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]