Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Mon May 27, 2024 6:34 am Last visit was: Mon May 27, 2024 6:34 am



Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close on 21 June 2024 (extended deadline). More info here.

Deal or No Deal will return for a new series later in 2024.



New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]



 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Author Message

Rob

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:44 pm    Author: Rob    Post subject: Re: 07/12 Reece

Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:33 pm
Warnings: 0
Great game - I liked Reece a lot and his boyfriend was adorable. Lovely couple.

I mean I don't blame him. You only win the big money if you go for it, that's the game. Only the brave win the power 5. You've sometimes got to be reckless and to hell with the consequences. He knew what he was letting himself in for and took the gamble. Unfortunately it didn't pay off.

Amounts of the table wise though - 1p, 100k, 1p isn't it? Wow. In the words of a legendary host... "That's so Deal." :-D

At this stage, my only issue with the show at the minute is the Banker - the new guy seems to be a fan of pushing the player on with low offers. It's a fair enough strategy but doesn't exactly make for gripping offers each round. You have an all blue opening round, your first offer is in the thousands. Have a bad round, you offer is in the thousands. 100k goes and the offer goes up. There's no logic to the offers at times which makes for inconstant gameplay imo. And I do miss the mind games the Banker used to play. Maybe it'll come as everybody gets more confident in their roles. But it's the only downside to the show atm for me. Everything else I'm really enjoying.

Also I'm surprised that they seem to have got rid of the swap. That used to be, to some, the hardest question in the game.


Top
 Profile  

KP

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:46 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 07/12 Reece
International Forums Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:00 pm
Warnings: 0
Wow. I know we've seen some players being hyper-reactive to the last game they saw in this run but this really does take the biscuit. (Mmm, biscuits...)

This is a complicated game where contestants bring their own form of simplification to the table and sometimes this leads them into decisions that make the spreadsheet-equipped among us want to throw things. For some people, that's entering "beep-it" mode like this; for others, that's being so determined to not end up in this spot that they overcorrect; for quite a lot, that involves locking in on a target value, which can end up looking like either of those depending on if they get a good board or not, but in the Mulhern era it's more often the former.

This was truly a vintage game to punish the one-track approach, and I do wonder how Reece took it afterwards. Tomorrow's gameplay might well give us a clue...

_________________
Champion of RTaB S6, creator of unorthodox DoND rulesets, and founder member of #teambat.
Creator of the first DoND Live offer to be accepted.
"Why regret what could not be?" (A Heart Full of Love, from Les Misérables)
I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.


Top
 Profile  

cfd

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:51 pm    Author: cfd    Post subject: Re: 07/12 Reece

Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:02 pm
Location: Leeds
Warnings: 0
Jesus. Fair play.

I said early on the prove out offers were unrealistic but seems not.

Crazy gamble. I can see why in the moment you might think *beep* it I'm going for it but in the cold light of day he's going to regret that.

Can't help but think ITV have budgeted this such that they want to give a reasonable amount of money away but lowered the jackpot to limit their liabilities. Don't know how else to explain these late offers.


Top
 Profile  

Power5

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:57 pm    Author: Power5    Post subject: Re: 07/12 Reece
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:04 pm
Warnings: 0
In three days, 10p, £100k box sold for less than £10k, and now 1p! Luck has to change soon, surely… as I said earlier:

Power5 wrote:
Why is it the cautious ones always seem to bring the big amounts to the table, and the Wakeyists bring the blues? :lol:


As I said before, in a mathematical sense no-dealing these above mean offers is just silly as you could deal and then get better odds at the casino… but can’t blame him (and partner) for wanting to see it through to the end. The crazy chair does that to you!

The phonebox is open for business again, and I like the commemorative 1p coin.

_________________
Image
Oh and five others, guess I need to update this!


Top
 Profile  

James1978

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:03 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 07/12 Reece

Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:47 pm
Location: Darlington, NE England
Warnings: 0
I'm wondering if anyone who's been a pilgrim to any of these shows can confirm how they are choosing the day's players and how they are selecting which box they have. Because all 4 of the players who have been determined to go to the end have all had hobo 5 amounts, plus no chance to swap them away (Katie, Brad, Simon and now Reece) which has certainly got my suspicion going. And on the flip side, letting the cautious players play when they have a large box amount!

(BTW it's only the last no-deal I don't get. The £8,400 I just knew he would regret underselling the £25k more than gambling and losing plus the crazy 2-box offers this banker is doing).

_________________
Image

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"


Top
 Profile  

matt26

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:16 pm    Author: matt26    Post subject: Re: 07/12 Reece

Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:47 pm
Warnings: 0
No disrespect to Reece whatsoever, but that final decision was incredibly foolish.

4.31k was arguable either way. 8.4k was, IMO, an easy deal but turning it down was understandable - you had a 2/3 chance of the offer going up and a reasonable get out offer even if you were unlucky and hit the 25k. But to then risk £2,650 on a coin flip when the upshot was only £2,350? Impossible to make sense of.

Awful luck that every single contestant that's gone all the way has won a blue so far though.


Top
 Profile  

StatsMan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:24 pm    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 07/12 Reece

Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:55 pm
Warnings: 0
Wow. What a mad ending, and somewhat karma that most of these AMO rejections have never worked out positively. I guess the biggest rash decision at 2-box that paid off was Scott from August 2012 turning down an offer bang on the average on a £500/£50k finish, and I can see similar things happening with this bunch, as well as a fair bit more heartbreak...

_________________
Image

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O


Top
 Profile  

Davao

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:46 pm    Author: Davao    Post subject: Re: 07/12 Reece

Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:29 pm
Location: Blackpool
Warnings: 0
Absolutely ridiculous you lot moaning this show shouldn't have aired! This game has every right to air as any other game, if every game had a contestant win a red, the show wouldn't last itd be boring Tv!

The blue games in fact are important as the red games! Why dont we cancel all episodes of The Chase if no one wins any money, in fact why don't we cancel all gameshow episodes and not air them because they did not win any money.

Give it a rest moaning with all you troll and pathetic name calling, calling a nurse, one of the countries many heroes a fool,dumb and idiot? Seriously

One of the best games in the series was actually Brad's game, not because of the amount he won, but because of the nice, inspirational person he was.

If you can't give constructive comments, or name call people, why are you posting? If we do get any contestants to sign up here, they won't last long.

I bet if the gamble paid off, you all wouldn't be here criticising him and saying this episode shouldn't be aired. You'd be praising him, going well done, the gamble paid off great for you, but no because the gamble failed some of you here and call him idiot and dumb.


Top
 Profile  

LouBlu08

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:02 pm    Author: LouBlu08    Post subject: Re: 07/12 Reece
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 31, 2022 1:28 am
Warnings: 0
Davao wrote:
Absolutely ridiculous you lot moaning this show shouldn't have aired! This game has every right to air as any other game, if every game had a contestant win a red, the show wouldn't last itd be boring Tv!

The blue games in fact are important as the red games! Why dont we cancel all episodes of The Chase if no one wins any money, in fact why don't we cancel all gameshow episodes and not air them because they did not win any money.

Give it a rest moaning with all you troll and pathetic name calling, calling a nurse, one of the countries many heroes a fool,dumb and idiot? Seriously

One of the best games in the series was actually Brad's game, not because of the amount he won, but because of the nice, inspirational person he was.

If you can't give constructive comments, or name call people, why are you posting? If we do get any contestants to sign up here, they won't last long.

I bet if the gamble paid off, you all wouldn't be here criticising him and saying this episode shouldn't be aired. You'd be praising him, going well done, the gamble paid off great for you, but no because the gamble failed some of you here and call him idiot and dumb.


Exactly! Would it be gripping television if everyone got a Power 5 win? No! Would ITV have any money left if that happened? Absolutely not!

I dunno what happened to the forum as of late, a good chunk of y'all are just complete jerks to the contestants. Not all of y'all but the ones who are know who they are. I don't think Reece is a bad player at all, yeah, he made a mistake, but he was brave enough to go all the way, something I wouldn't admit to have done if I was there at that moment (I chickened out at £8k).

All this "yeah they shouldn't have aired this episode" talk is dumb. If that was the case, ITV wouldn't have anything to air and there would be no such thing as an ITV1. End of the story. Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.


Top
 Profile  

Simon F

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:12 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 07/12 Reece
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:12 pm
Location: Leeds
Warnings: 0
James1978 wrote:
I'm wondering if anyone who's been a pilgrim to any of these shows can confirm how they are choosing the day's players and how they are selecting which box they have. Because all 4 of the players who have been determined to go to the end have all had hobo 5 amounts, plus no chance to swap them away (Katie, Brad, Simon and now Reece) which has certainly got my suspicion going. And on the flip side, letting the cautious players play when they have a large box amount!

(BTW it's only the last no-deal I don't get. The £8,400 I just knew he would regret underselling the £25k more than gambling and losing plus the crazy 2-box offers this banker is doing).


I've no idea how they are choosing players (probably the same way that they used to - except the players have no idea who is playing when they come in the studio). They are selecting the box the same way they used to - picking balls from a bag.

_________________
Number of visits to see DOND: 20
Number of shows seen: 88


Top
 Profile  

James1978

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:51 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 07/12 Reece

Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:47 pm
Location: Darlington, NE England
Warnings: 0
Thanks for confirming Simon. I have all sorts of conspiracy theories going round my head at loads of things these days :-)

_________________
Image

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"


Top
 Profile  

Archstered

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:52 pm    Author: Archstered    Post subject: Re: 07/12 Reece

Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: Bristol, UK
Warnings: 0
Simon F wrote:
James1978 wrote:
I'm wondering if anyone who's been a pilgrim to any of these shows can confirm how they are choosing the day's players and how they are selecting which box they have. Because all 4 of the players who have been determined to go to the end have all had hobo 5 amounts, plus no chance to swap them away (Katie, Brad, Simon and now Reece) which has certainly got my suspicion going. And on the flip side, letting the cautious players play when they have a large box amount!

(BTW it's only the last no-deal I don't get. The £8,400 I just knew he would regret underselling the £25k more than gambling and losing plus the crazy 2-box offers this banker is doing).


I've no idea how they are choosing players (probably the same way that they used to - except the players have no idea who is playing when they come in the studio). They are selecting the box the same way they used to - picking balls from a bag.


Simon, does the player know who's playing before they choose the ball like they did in the latter half of the original run, so they pick their ball first?

_________________
29 | Retail Manager | Eurovision | Rats | Corrie | A little bit of DoND


Top
 Profile  

Simon F

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:30 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 07/12 Reece
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:12 pm
Location: Leeds
Warnings: 0
Archstered wrote:
Simon F wrote:
James1978 wrote:
I'm wondering if anyone who's been a pilgrim to any of these shows can confirm how they are choosing the day's players and how they are selecting which box they have. Because all 4 of the players who have been determined to go to the end have all had hobo 5 amounts, plus no chance to swap them away (Katie, Brad, Simon and now Reece) which has certainly got my suspicion going. And on the flip side, letting the cautious players play when they have a large box amount!

(BTW it's only the last no-deal I don't get. The £8,400 I just knew he would regret underselling the £25k more than gambling and losing plus the crazy 2-box offers this banker is doing).


I've no idea how they are choosing players (probably the same way that they used to - except the players have no idea who is playing when they come in the studio). They are selecting the box the same way they used to - picking balls from a bag.


Simon, does the player know who's playing before they choose the ball like they did in the latter half of the original run, so they pick their ball first?


Not that I'm aware of. The first they know who is playing is when the names rotate on the screen.

_________________
Number of visits to see DOND: 20
Number of shows seen: 88


Top
 Profile  

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:36 pm    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: 07/12 Reece

Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:09 pm
Location: Eternal Freedom
Warnings: 0
Aaron Brock wrote:
Honestly at these stakes and this economy, I’m starting to understand why they’re taking these kinds of gambles. Might not be very calculated risks but when it’s low thousands, it’s far from life changing money. Glad to see multiple players having a real go!

Dr. Hindsight wrote:
Jesus f**king Christ. What a complete idiot. No brains whatsoever.


These sorts of comments aren't warranted at any time, but certainly when we're talking about somebody who gave so much of their life up to be on the medical frontline during the biggest medical emergency of our lifetime. Have some *beep* respect.


Anything that happens, happens.
Anything that, in happening, causes something else to happen, causes something else to happen.
Anything that, in happening, causes itself to happen again, happens again.
It doesn’t necessarily do it in chronological order, though.

My legacy is cemented. Oh, what a glorious day. Thank you for those words of blistering truth.

“Are you free, Dr. Hindsight?”
“I am freeee!”

And so I am. Much love.

*mic drop*

_________________
I have berated my last contestant and have nothing else to say. Roll credits. Fade to black. | Dr. Hindsight | April 18, 2006 - December 7, 2023


Top
 Profile  

Archstered

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:21 am    Author: Archstered    Post subject: Re: 07/12 Reece

Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: Bristol, UK
Warnings: 0
Simon F wrote:
Archstered wrote:
Simon F wrote:
James1978 wrote:
I'm wondering if anyone who's been a pilgrim to any of these shows can confirm how they are choosing the day's players and how they are selecting which box they have. Because all 4 of the players who have been determined to go to the end have all had hobo 5 amounts, plus no chance to swap them away (Katie, Brad, Simon and now Reece) which has certainly got my suspicion going. And on the flip side, letting the cautious players play when they have a large box amount!

(BTW it's only the last no-deal I don't get. The £8,400 I just knew he would regret underselling the £25k more than gambling and losing plus the crazy 2-box offers this banker is doing).


I've no idea how they are choosing players (probably the same way that they used to - except the players have no idea who is playing when they come in the studio). They are selecting the box the same way they used to - picking balls from a bag.


Simon, does the player know who's playing before they choose the ball like they did in the latter half of the original run, so they pick their ball first?


Not that I'm aware of. The first they know who is playing is when the names rotate on the screen.


Thanks!

_________________
29 | Retail Manager | Eurovision | Rats | Corrie | A little bit of DoND


Top
 Profile  

daniel123

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:47 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: 07/12 Reece
Forum Games Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:59 am
Location: Here
Warnings: 0
Wow. :shock: :lol:

It's a shame that some people still haven't grown up, though. We should be able to respect somebody's decision, regardless of how ridiculous we might perceive it to be...or irrational, or stupid, or whatever other word we feel like using. I think it's fantastic - in a way - that people get involved emotionally with the show and the narrative, that makes me think this new series might be here to stay, it's certainly engaging. But the petulance in some comments is remarkable. Those same people, if they met him in the street, would say 'hey, you're Reece, aren't you? I saw your show, you were so unlucky!'...

_________________
81st member of the Pat M fan club. Still flying the flag for the class of '06...

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.


Top
 Profile  

hogwild94

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:54 pm    Author: hogwild94    Post subject: Re: 07/12 Reece
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:16 pm
Location: The North East of Scotland
Warnings: 0
OK, so I know this guy is gonna be getting pelters for what he did, but, to be fair, he took it very well and seemed totally prepared to gamble and lose. Compare that to the numerous players during the original series who gambled when they probably shouldn't have done (for personal and/or statistical reasons), crashed and took it really badly. (But then, some, like Nong, did win, so swings and roundabouts)

Put simply, as daft as that final gamble arguably was (was watching with the sound off and, so didn't actually realise til afterwards the final offer was an AMO!), Reece was well prepared for it to not work out and didn't seem to mind when it didn't, so I honestly can't criticise him that much.

Plus, the magic 1p was a nice touch! :smt023

_________________
An aficionado of many things, mainly '90s TV programs and presentation.
I am a respecter of the views of others, even if I disagree with them.
No ranting or offense is intended in any of my posts, unless I specify so.
Check out SLUDGE for original, non-cover rock music!


Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bot, Semrush and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  

Deal Or No Deal

[ View who is online ]

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Copyright ©2023 dond.co.uk All rights reserved

www.dond.co.uk is not responsible for the content posted by private individuals on this website. The views expressed herein are solely the opinions of the individuals that produced them and not necessarily the views of the owner, or of the admins, or of the moderators of this website.


Admin Zone Directory