Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:03 pm Last visit was: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:03 pm

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Power5

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:08 pm    Author: Power5    Post subject:

Warnings: 0
Duffer wrote:
There was I thinking that when it flashed up 'Shirley' at the beginning that we wouldn't be in for much of a game... Well, that shut me up.... :oops:

I thought the same really, always a bit strange when you get an early player as in most cases you don't feel you really know them. But it was a fantastic game, and really unlucky - she had to take the £20k as she couldn't risk ending up with 50p after all that!

If she had picked the other box at the end she would have probably been the third player to take a shot at the £250,000 and lose - would have still gone home with £50,000 though...

MisterAl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:21 pm    Author: MisterAl    Post subject:

wakey1512 wrote:
You mean, it wouldnt be reasonable?

No, I meant what I wrote.

wakey1512 wrote:
But the odds are getting more and more higher each time it reveals the £250,000. Same thing as the £250,000 in a box 20 times thing.

No, the odds are not getting higher and higher. They're staying exactly the same. The set-up is identical, so how can the odds magically change? Just because something has happened 19 times already, that does not in any way affect what's going to happen next time. How can it?

(Sorry for going on about this, everyone...)

MisterAl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:24 pm    Author: MisterAl    Post subject:

never_wrong wrote:
MisterAl wrote:
wakey1512 wrote:
But you cant expect a box to have the £250,000 20 times can you? Thats the same concept as what ive been going on about.

If you'd already seen the £250k nineteen times, then yes, it wouldn't be unreasonable to see it a twentieth time.

But at the start of each show, there's an even chance that it could once again be in there. Nothing happens from show to show to eliminate the 1/22 shot.

Yes. So we are in agreement.

daniel4389

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:24 pm    Author: daniel4389    Post subject:

MisterAl wrote:
(Sorry for going on about this, everyone...)

Hehe, not at all - you put forward a much better and calmer argument than I do...

never_wrong

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:24 pm    Author: never_wrong    Post subject:

MisterAl wrote:
never_wrong wrote:
MisterAl wrote:
wakey1512 wrote:
But you cant expect a box to have the £250,000 20 times can you? Thats the same concept as what ive been going on about.

If you'd already seen the £250k nineteen times, then yes, it wouldn't be unreasonable to see it a twentieth time.

But at the start of each show, there's an even chance that it could once again be in there. Nothing happens from show to show to eliminate the 1/22 shot.

Yes. So we are in agreement.

Yep, I wasn't disagreeing with you - I was reinforcing the point for wakey's benefit.

wakey1512

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:26 pm    Author: wakey1512    Post subject:

Mister AI, if the odds DIDNT go up, then we would see the £250,000 in the same box all the time. Its not possible to not have odds.

My dislike club: The number 3

wakey1512

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:33 pm    Author: wakey1512    Post subject:

Look Daniel. Why would you be going for the 1p all the time on guess the amount? Because it hasnt been on the table in ages. Exactly what im trying to get at except with £50,000.

daniel4389

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:38 pm    Author: daniel4389    Post subject:

wakey1512 wrote:
Mister AI, if the odds DIDNT go up, then we would see the £250,000 in the same box all the time. Its not possible to not have odds.

...What? Why on earth would we see the £250k in the same box all the time? Nobody's saying that the £250k being in a certain box makes it more likely that it'll be in the same box the next day, it just doesn't make it any less likely.

wakey1512 wrote:
Look Daniel. Why would you be going for the 1p all the time on guess the amount? Because it hasnt been on the table in ages. Exactly what im trying to get at except with £50,000.

Hahaha...yes, but I think I could cope with losing the "Guess the Amount" competition! I still don't think it's any more likely that the 1p will be there tomorrow, and I certainly wouldn't consider that when making my decisions if I were playing!

wakey1512

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:40 pm    Author: wakey1512    Post subject:

If the boxes have no memory like you said, youd have gone for something different - ironically i bet you would go for £50,000 - and be wrong :-D

rico7

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:44 pm    Author: rico7    Post subject:

Power5 wrote:

If she had picked the other box at the end she would have probably been the third player to take a shot at the £250,000 and lose - would have still gone home with £50,000 though...

But she might have swapped the boxes and won the big one! :-D Either way, it was a great game!!

LizzyLou

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:46 pm    Author: LizzyLou    Post subject:

it was a good game - I like the way that sometimes happens. Someone who you've hardly noticed on the wings suddenly comes to life and puts on a great show when it's their turn.

daniel4389

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:49 pm    Author: daniel4389    Post subject:

wakey1512 wrote:
If the boxes have no memory like you said, youd have gone for something different - ironically i bet you would go for £50,000 - and be wrong :-D

I...don't understand. And not for the first time. But anyway, seeing as none of us look likely to be on the show any time soon, I think we should agree to disagree on this matter. And who knows, if you ever do get on the show, your theory might pay off...

MisterAl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:51 pm    Author: MisterAl    Post subject:

wakey1512 wrote:

At the risk of repeating myself...

The boxes really do have no memory. That means that what has happened in the past gives us no clues whatsoever as to what will happen in the future. It doesn't mean that what has happened in the past is more likely to happen again. It doesn't mean that what has happened in the past is less likely to happen again. We could end up with the same thing happening repeatedly, or we could end up with different things happening.

I think you're making the quite common error in thinking that the word 'random' means 'evenly distributed'. It doesn't mean that at all. Sometimes random things are evenly distributed, but sometimes they aren't. It's this very unpredictability that defines the word 'random'.

Joey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:11 pm    Author: Joey    Post subject:

Put it this way - the odds of the £250,000 appearing on the table five times in a row are exactly the same as £50, £10,000, £1, £500 then £35,000 appearing on the table.

Each game is INDEPENDENT of each other. Therefore, £250,000 has a 1/22 chance of appearing on the table and so does £1 or £5,000 or any other amount.

If £250,000 appears on the table one day, it does not make it any more or less likely that it won't be there again the next day. This is because the next day's game has nothing to do with the previous day's game.

Richie Rich

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:18 pm    Author: Richie Rich    Post subject:

oh my god its just a game show - who cares about "this is in this box" "thats in that box", "250000 20 times" blah blah blah

It's all random, theres no logic that any number should appear any number of times in any box.

The numbers are pseudo-randomly selected and placed into the boxes, there is a 1 in 22 chance of any number appearing in any box in any one show.

Phew, right i'm off to bed for a lie down.

Aaron Brock

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:02 am    Author: Aaron Brock    Post subject:

For the 2nd Time in DOND i thought it's gonna be won

that was the best game for a while!

Qwerty

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:06 am    Author: Qwerty    Post subject:

Aaron Brock wrote:
that was the best game for a while!

Definitely, and I'm glad it was from someone who is quiet on the wings. I don't like when the quiet ones have average games, because we just forget them!

Thanks to kestral, daniel4389, Tugger, Billy et al who have helped build my image library for these:

justcause110

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:32 am    Author: justcause110    Post subject:

Incredible game! I was hoping that the £250k was going to be at the very end with £50,000. I really wonder if Shirley would have done a Kirsty and gone on if that happened.

I wonder if this will be put into the hall of fame

crazyeddie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:04 pm    Author: crazyeddie    Post subject:
International Forums Moderator

I missed giving the stats for this game, what a game it was. :o

She chose to decline an offer for £55,000 with an average of £77,000, 71.4% of the average, which was remarkable because her target was only £20,000. I'm not sure I would have done the same in that scenario, and I'm not usually averse to taking risks!

When she was left with five boxes, because of the banker's earlier offers, and despite knowing her target, he had no idea whether she was a gambler or not. £55,000 is not just a sign of the banker's respect, but of a serious flaw in the way he played the game.

That was a real battle of nerves and courage, and I think she won the game overall, even though she was unfortunate to lose £35,000 in the next round's offer. Well done Shirley! :)

shirley

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:47 pm    Author: shirley    Post subject:

Hi to you all i was pleased to read that you all enjoyed my game i went there knowing i was going to play the game to the full and thats what i tried to do thanking you all again for your surport xxx

[ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]