Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:11 pm Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:11 pm

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

unclekevo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:09 pm    Author: unclekevo    Post subject: Re: 22/09 Tegen

Warnings: 0
WHAT??????????????????? I missed today's show, what a game!

Simon F

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:43 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 22/09 Tegen

Unbelieveable game. I'd seen the posts on Twitter early afternoon and turned Twitter off at about 4.30pm and remotely recorded the C4+1 show on Sky +.

Agree with KP that this has to be the best game of DOND ever (and for a show to relegate Dale's win to #2, it has to be special).

There's something about the £250k/£20k finish though in live play. First Morris then Bunney and now Tegen (is there another one? - I have a nagging feeling there is).

Well done for everyone who kept this a secret. Wouldn't have blamed her for taking £77k today (I honestly might have done) but the Banker obviously misread her - I was expecting an offer of at least £90k.

beaker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:47 pm    Author: beaker    Post subject: Re: 22/09 Tegen

Great win Tegen, I honestly don't think there's been a more deserving winner. Kerrie nearly cost her big time though with her 'I've got a feeling about my box' routine!

She should have been looking at a 250k - 50k finish but who cares as it was an amazing game

Well done girl!

mr_northern_guy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:47 pm    Author: mr_northern_guy    Post subject: Re: 22/09 Tegen

Congratulations Tegen, you deserve every penny of it! This might have just overtaken Annie as my GOTM.

johnr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:31 pm    Author: johnr    Post subject: Re: 22/09 Tegen

BankerSpanker wrote:
And Channel 4's stupid continuity announcer just HAD to KILL the mood by telling us about some Essex programme and that utter rubbish, Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares. :smt011

You'll be happy to know you can watch 4OD on YouTube where the ending has no voiceover :smt023

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:21 pm    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 22/09 Tegen

What can i say that hasn't already been said? Every £250k win seems to surpass the last and Tegen's managed to even eclipse Suzanne's. There was something special about Tegen, I sensed it from the very first game - when she had the 1p in her box, there's a certain symetry there isn't there? Start your run with the 1p, end it with the £250k -but i never dreamed it would be that good. For me the best big money game since £100k Sam (The best game of Season 5)

Interesting tactics by the Banker, on the one hand he clearly underestimated Tegen's ambition, with offers that were well below what they could have been (not least that final £77k offer), on the other there was more than one opportunity for him to punish her and scare her into an early deal, yet he confounded my expectations by going up every single time.

What i really liked about Tegen was that she didn't come across as a glory hunter or a confetti chaser - unlike some players i could mention - she just played the board that was in front of her. She clearly appreciated the offers and the amounts of money that were being offered, nothing was dismissed out of hand, but at the same time she wanted to play the board out. Like Suzanne i suspect with a weaker finish she might have taken a more prundent approach but thankfully the boxes were kind enough to justify her claiming the big prize
And in defence of Kerrie i got the impression Tegen would have left 14 till the end even if she hadn't said anything.
Congratulations to Tegen on a fantastic well deserved victory, having heard her story she is an inspiration to many and I wish her well for the future

Phil 09

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:40 pm    Author: Phil 09    Post subject: Re: 22/09 Tegen

Agree with Moxx. I can't add anything further as to what has already been said already.

Congratulations, Tegen. Enjoy your money. :D It's just the sort of game we've been waiting for, and which surpasses even Suzanne's £250k win on 13th May, albeit marginally and not one of the DoND specials.

She had the, albeit nervous but be devil may care approach which I think we have seen the so near, yet so far approach with the male contingent. Gurpal being the closest this year to being the first male QM.

Again, Tegen. Well done and my Mum who rarely ever watches this game did not leave the room until that final box outcome.

Phil.

RMF1254

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:16 am    Author: RMF1254    Post subject: Re: 22/09 Tegen

I had absolutely no idea that the fourth £250k win would come barely four months after the third... :shock: :shock: :shock:

And in September, too - which unless I'm very much mistaken is usually a bad month for players. Indeed, this September was turning out pretty bad before today...

Also, Tegen's the first English quarter-millionaire. ;)

Of course, the wait for a male one continues - as does the wait for one older than 25... ;) ;) 8)

But those are beside the point, aren't they? ;) 8)

Very well played and congratulations Tegen - and all the very best in the future! :smt023

willrelf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:30 am    Author: willrelf    Post subject: Re: 22/09 Tegen
Forum Games Moderator

Congrats to Tegen, she'll do a lot with that I'm sure. :P I would have won it as well today and I'm sure there are many others that feel the same as the boxes were kind to her and the offers were low enough to no deal. :)

Everything happens for a reason.

No regrets.

Brick

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:48 am    Author: Brick    Post subject: Re: 22/09 Tegen

Didn't get home in time for today's show so will see if I can catch the repeat in the afternoon.

I got a feeling from the recent trailer that some big wins were coming up, but I didn't think a £250k win would be among them. Reading the commentary and seeing the blues fall off the board, I was wondering what we could be in for! I thought £33k was the big decision and wouldn't have begrudged her that deal - if the £250k went, the best you could probably hope for was a stick on a £20k/£50k finish. when she rejected the last 2 offers, I remembered the gasp in the trailer and wondered if that was from this game she'd end up with the £20k, so to read that she'd won £250k was amazing!

Will add more once I've seen the show. But first...

Brick

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:52 am    Author: Brick    Post subject: Re: 22/09 Tegen

Simon F wrote:

There's something about the £250k/£20k finish though in live play. First Morris then Bunney and now Tegen (is there another one? - I have a nagging feeling there is).

You're thinking of Eddie who got that finish in live play in May 2009.

RMF1254 wrote:
I had absolutely no idea that the fourth £250k win would come barely four months after the third... :shock: :shock: :shock:

And in September, too - which unless I'm very much mistaken is usually a bad month for players. Indeed, this September was turning out pretty bad before today...

Technically, this isn't actually a September game - its original transmission date would have been 2 weeks' time on October 6th!

Simon F

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:58 am    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 22/09 Tegen

Brick wrote:
Simon F wrote:

You're thinking of Eddie who got that finish in live play in May 2009.

Thanks. Intresting that the £70k he took would have been a no deal for me but I agonised over Tegen's £77k today (which surprised me but sometimes the loss of £57k even when you are getting 3 to 1 odds makes you think)

norwichdonder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:23 am    Author: norwichdonder    Post subject: Re: 22/09 Tegen

credit where credit is due that was a spectacular win. The production team must surely have had a post mortem into what went wrong from their side. Can they fund another big win in less than 6 months. We could even have had more given the £250k was sitting there quite recently. Lowballing the offer at 3 box must surely come into it. If they had offered £100k straight, I think she may have taken it. £77k was just too much of an insult for her and her playing style. I know the heady days of 2006 are long gone, but they have to get real on such scenarios.

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:42 am    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 22/09 Tegen

I think the £77,000 offer wasn't necessarily insulting, but simply the Banker trying to pull off his 'rule of 3' differently; she couldn't win a blue but he could still go for the OBW if the offer was still high enough to force her to take it - without offering over the odds.

But even if he offered £100,000 (as norwichdonder suggested) I doubt it'd have budged her; she wasn't an OHO in name, simply felt a sudden rush of confidence after going with box 1 that had such significance in her life, and especially once the 50p and £10,000 went there was only one thing to do really...especially once she said "I'd have £20,000" should the gamble not pay off.

Yes it's right up there with the most deserving wins of all time. I've already seen people say it's higher up than Dale's on this thread. I say who cares; both were hugely inspirational life-changing wins and we loved them both.

But it's this one which, simply put, pleased absolutely EVERYONE. No 'bad decisions', that amazing run at the beginning secured stable foundations for the rest of the game, and a more than reasonable final gamble without a 'no-brainer' decision unlike Suzanne who already had £100,000 pocketed by the time she was faced with the gamble.

Absolutely loved the game though! Well done to Tegan!

Yes, this was my first unspoiled jackpot win as well; obviously people knew but as Richie already said, it stayed on DS so thanks to anyone who did know and kept SCHTUM (as our H would say :P ). It reminds me of a certain private message conversation with GuruAl I had with the build-up to Suzanne's game; how I knew what would happen, didn't want to share with anyone yet have people very curious and wanting to stay tuned. I said to him that although I welcome spoiled information, it'd be amazing to tune in and see a jackpot win without ANY advance information about it, given the previous three we all, if not me and a few others knew about it.

And that's just what happened today! (well, yesterday at time of posting this!!) :D

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

KP

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:02 am    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 22/09 Tegen
International Forums Moderator

norwichdonder wrote:
The production team must surely have had a post mortem into what went wrong from their side. Can they fund another big win in less than 6 months.

If they're that worried about these huge wins then they ought to stop Noel going on about OHOs and "courage" and suchlike, because either it doesn't have any influence and it's pointless, or it does have an influence and it costs the show money through huge wins like this.

(Alternative: it doesn't influence the players, but it does have an influence on viewers, which increases the show's appeal to advertisers in the gambling industry. Given that very few people in the studio - pilgrims and contestants alike - comment on any perception of pressure to play on, and several have mentioned that the comments can come out as deceptively one-sided in the edit, this would seem very plausible.

Furthermore, I'd point out that the current "voluntary" code banning pre-watershed gambling adverts on TV is being openly and regularly flouted, and it is my personal opinion that it has failed and must be made compulsory through legislation. Fat chance of that with this government though.)

If the next few weeks has a run of huge games similar to January 2007 - in which three weeks of games immediately post-Laura produced around £700k in winnings - Endemol are going to be seriously worried.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:10 am    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 22/09 Tegen

Can I also quickly comment on the Guru's blog online mentioning yesterday's show:

Yet again I need to revert to that conversation we had - I will put my hand on my heart and admit I'd struggle to keep a witnessed show like that to myself but the idea of watching it on the telly and then reading everyone's brilliant reactions on here and elsewhere on the 'net...that's what would have kept me quiet!

I'm so so jealous of you Al - you mentioned all the greats in example during the blog...but I too would probably stick Tegan's game right up there now, for very similar if not identical reasons.

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

norwichdonder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:33 pm    Author: norwichdonder    Post subject: Re: 22/09 Tegen

KP wrote:
If they're that worried about these huge wins then they ought to stop Noel going on about OHOs and "courage" and suchlike, because either it doesn't have any influence and it's pointless, or it does have an influence and it costs the show money through huge wins like this.

(Alternative: it doesn't influence the players, but it does have an influence on viewers, which increases the show's appeal to advertisers in the gambling industry. Given that very few people in the studio - pilgrims and contestants alike - comment on any perception of pressure to play on, and several have mentioned that the comments can come out as deceptively one-sided in the edit, this would seem very plausible.

I'd personally agree with that last hypothesis. We all know that while DOND doesn't comes under the auspices of gambling per-se, in reality they are "gambling" on an cash offer. When it could be be construed as gambling and actively flouting gambling rules would be when they have dealt and are then offered the bankers gamble - the name itself is a give away!

Noel has to talk about something and the common thread in the last 6 years has to be the 'bravery' of going to the end or the guilt at walking away from a big sum. Sure we have the 1p club but thats almost sidelined as an 'in joke' to the show.

KP wrote:
Furthermore, I'd point out that the current "voluntary" code banning pre-watershed gambling adverts on TV is being openly and regularly flouted, and it is my personal opinion that it has failed and must be made compulsory through legislation. Fat chance of that with this government though.)

I do agree with you. I presume you are referring to jackpotjoy.com? If you go on their website they are a wide ranging gambling site. It is rather curious that a gambling advertisement was approved to replace a yoghurt product.

KP wrote:
If the next few weeks has a run of huge games similar to January 2007 - in which three weeks of games immediately post-Laura produced around £700k in winnings - Endemol are going to be seriously worried.

When we consider the unknowns that may be thrown up with the live shows that statement could could be more prophetic that you could imagine!

James1978

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:47 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 22/09 Tegen

I loved the way how Tegen looked totally petrified at the end after it was revealed what she had won, it was as if she hadn't a clue what hit her! :)

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

hogwild94

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:00 pm    Author: hogwild94    Post subject: Re: 22/09 Tegen
Global Moderator

Big-Davey wrote:
Yes it's right up there with the most deserving wins of all time. I've already seen people say it's higher up than Dale's on this thread. I say who cares; both were hugely inspirational life-changing wins and we loved them both.

Agreed.

Check out SLUDGE for original, non-cover rock music!

Brick

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:53 pm    Author: Brick    Post subject: Re: 22/09 Tegen

Just watched the repeat. I really admired Tegen's quiet determination - in that sense she was completely different to Suzanne who was bouncing off the walls for most of her game! Tegen's down-to-earth approach to the game - appreciating good offers and a good board - made her and the game a pleasure to watch. The energy from the studio when the £250k was revealed really came through; I found myself springing from my chair at that point too!

[ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]