Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:56 pm Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:56 pm

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

KP

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:02 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 22/09 Tegen
International Forums Moderator

Warnings: 0
norwichdonder wrote:
We all know that while DOND doesn't comes under the auspices of gambling per-se, in reality they are "gambling" on an cash offer. When it could be be construed as gambling and actively flouting gambling rules would be when they have dealt and are then offered the bankers gamble - the name itself is a give away!

I'd like to know how "gambling" is strictly defined by Ofcom actually. I gather the Red or Black endgame worked as it did to circumvent gambling rules - I think the most recent iteration of the legislation allowed "transactional gambling", specifically including roulette, only after midnight. Hence, there was no actual gamble on the spin of the wheel - the spin merely decided if the million quid went to the contestant, or to the insurer that took on the risk of uncertain winnings on behalf of ITV.

Quote:
Noel has to talk about something and the common thread in the last 6 years has to be the 'bravery' of going to the end or the guilt at walking away from a big sum. Sure we have the 1p club but thats almost sidelined as an 'in joke' to the show.

Very true. I'd question, and question strongly, if that common thread could have been different, but that ship sailed some time in 2007, I think. This is why I sometimes suggest these days that Noel now influences players without even trying - he follows the show's loose-knit catchphrase-driven script, which just happens to place a positive slant on risky play. I probably notice it more because of having studied politics at university, as similar "framing" occurs in the political sphere.

Quote:
I presume you are referring to jackpotjoy.com? If you go on their website they are a wide ranging gambling site. It is rather curious that a gambling advertisement was approved to replace a yoghurt product.

As I said, it's a voluntary code. Interesting here to note that bingo has always had a specific exemption (as has the National Lottery), and the jackpotjoy.com sponsorship trailers are themed around bingo. Hence, jackpotjoy.com is probably following the letter of the voluntary code, but it strikes me that it's not following its spirit - the site does far more than bingo, and that includes DoND-sponsored digital slot machines. That's exactly the sort of loophole I would hope regulation could work around.

Speaking of regulation, the Ofcom guidance on gambling advertisements state that "Advertisements for gambling must not… exploit the susceptibilities, aspirations, credulity, inexperience or lack of knowledge of children, young persons or other vulnerable persons… suggest that gambling can be a solution to financial concerns… [or] be of particular appeal to children or young persons." If we treated the show as per an advert, would it pass that test? Probably at least a handful of episodes would cross that line (Rob's springs to mind).

Quote:
When we consider the unknowns that may be thrown up with the live shows that statement could could be more prophetic that you could imagine!

Oh, very possibly - because this game will be so fresh in the viewing audience's mind, it could well make them more inclined to gamble... but there'll be no hiding place in a live show if Noel turns on the spin!

As to why what Noel says matters, well, I'll quote Sara Lueddeke, a researcher into cognitive processes in gambling, from an interview I had with her for the student magazine in 2009: "A lot of research has stated that in certain types of framing of questions you are going to make a risk-averse or a risk-seeking decision."

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Simon F

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:30 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 22/09 Tegen

Given Laura said she'd have dealt £5k more than the offer she got at 2-box, it would be fascinating to know what (if there was an amount) would have got Tegen to deal at 2-box.

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:10 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 22/09 Tegen

What saddens me is the article in the free Metro this morning about her win; apparently her cancer had since returned but she's in remission. Hope everything is going to be alright eventually! :)

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

h2005

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:07 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 22/09 Tegen
Administrator & Global Moderator

Maybe the £250k club should be renamed the LAST club:

Laura
Alice
Suzanne
Tegen

maggieq

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:18 pm    Author: maggieq    Post subject: Re: 22/09 Tegen

:smt023 whos a clever man to think that one up!|gota hand it to you "H"you are a genious.lets hope there will be a male name to add to the list soon.

kestral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:36 pm    Author: kestral    Post subject: Re: 22/09 Tegen
Site Owner, Administrator & Global Moderator

Tegen appeared on the Westcountry ITV news tonight in an interview about her Deal or No Deal jackpot win...

I've uploaded the interview to Youtube so everyone can view it :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39i-A_8gr_E

BankerSpanker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:30 pm    Author: BankerSpanker    Post subject: Re: 22/09 Tegen

There's an article on BBC News now: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-15026671

Fan of classic rock and metal

Power5

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:49 pm    Author: Power5    Post subject: Re: 22/09 Tegen

Unbelievable, another quarter millionaire! Just watched this and an amazing story as well as a fantastic game.

Think the last one I watched was the previous £250k win... The live shows sound interesting though, will tune in for some of those!

Simon F

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:16 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 22/09 Tegen

KP wrote:
It's an extension on not being allowed back into the studio isn't it? You're not allowed to see £250k games as they're shown on the telly. :P

Although according to MisterAl's blog, there was an-ex Christmas Star player in the audience for Tegen's game (perhas they have a different set of rules as they weren't regular players)

sonicrules

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:41 am    Author: sonicrules    Post subject: Re: 22/09 Tegen

Amazing game, amazing person, I didn't know about the win either, that's how I prefer it, I'm very pleased for her, couldn't have happened to a more deserving person!!!

Rich: I'm not really sure what's going on, but could you give me a clear signal when you've won us some booze! lmao

Fave contestants: Joey and Siobhan (tied), Charly

Rossano, Wrighty and Morris

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:48 am    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: 22/09 Tegen

Wow. Sometimes, the best things come from out of nowhere. Amazing to see someone else walk off with the jackpot, and only a few months after the last person did it. It's strange that all four of the 250K winners thus far have been women, and three of them Welsh. Here's hoping a male quarter-millionaire is eventually crowned.

Congrats to Tegen for the win, and for showing that the Banker's offers are often poorly-pitched.

Interesting how the other, more "popular" Mark - and I'm using that term lightly, folks - has been absent from this thread. He's become more of punchline than I have. I wonder if the reason why he hasn't been banned yet is because he provides you lot with some comedic value.

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:28 am    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 22/09 Tegen

Two were Welsh, the other was Irish :)

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

Skyline

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:35 am    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: 22/09 Tegen
Forum Games Moderator

If it wasn't for Duane... ;)

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:31 am    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 22/09 Tegen

Oh no shadow of doubt Duana inspired the win...whether it'd still have happened or not without him is debateable but he should still take some credit.

I loved how Noel talked up the idea of him cruelly killing the dream after his advice, and for what felt like the first time ever it DIDN'T happen (we're so used to Noel talking it up and ironically that player DID have the biggest amount!)

"The Banker"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:43 pm    Author: "The Banker"    Post subject: Re: 22/09 Tegen

Just watched Tegen's game on 4OD and wow what a fantastic game!!!! I really enjoyed that. :D

Really really pleased for Tegen, what a truly inspirational lady! It's nice to see a genuinely deserving player win the jackpot! And it's great to hear that some of the money will go to the charties that helped her! :)

And on a completely random note, I liked her floral shrug cardigan! :lol:

DanS

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:12 pm    Author: DanS    Post subject: Re: 22/09 Tegen

I was away for 2 weeks. That's it, just 2 freaking weeks! And I miss a game that is apparantly better than Suzannes? Well of all the luck... :smt011 :smt011

"The Banker"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:18 pm    Author: "The Banker"    Post subject: Re: 22/09 Tegen

You can catch up on 4OD though. :smt023

DanS

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:23 pm    Author: DanS    Post subject: Re: 22/09 Tegen

"The Banker" wrote:
You can catch up on 4OD though. :smt023

Too true, but I know the result now. That makes 3 out of 4 QM wins I've had to catch up on. So uncool.

[ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]