Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:29 am Last visit was: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:29 am

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

BankerSpanker

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 4:59 pm    Author: BankerSpanker    Post subject: Re: 24/05 Kerry-Anne

Warnings: 0
£140,000?!!?!??!?!??! THAT'S 8% ABOVE THE AVERAGE!! :shock:
And she DECLINED it?!

Fan of classic rock and metal

Profile E-mail  

paulyc

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 4:59 pm    Author: paulyc    Post subject: Re: 24/05 Kerry-Anne

So 250k was in box 7 two games in a row then.

Profile E-mail  

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:01 pm    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: 24/05 Kerry-Anne

Turning down £140 large was incredibly, incredibly stupid. We were all led down the garden path, a la film noir (ex-film student here). I have seen stupidity before, but never quite like this. Worst game since Rob's, and that says a lot.

Goodbye forever. I've seen enough rubbish for a lifetime.

Last edited by Dr. Hindsight on Tue May 24, 2011 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

norwichdonder

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:02 pm    Author: norwichdonder    Post subject: Re: 24/05 Kerry-Anne

hogwild94 wrote:
Hope that was OK for you guys!

You did the admins proud. Good job. :smt023

Profile E-mail  

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:10 pm    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject: Re: 24/05 Kerry-Anne

WOW, that was insane, all is forgiven, player 14. Still reckless no deals shake things up, at least this one was right at the end so no need for excessive caution to be created.

paulyc

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:13 pm    Author: paulyc    Post subject: Re: 24/05 Kerry-Anne

Its games like this that make me wonder if certain players get seduced by the banker's opinions of them. The banker was praising her throughout the show and did that bolster her self belief to such a level that she turned down some fantastic offers to the point of turning down above the average? She also spoke in that affected way where every sentence sounds like a question at the end. That really winds me up.

Profile E-mail  

DVDfever

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:16 pm    Author: DVDfever    Post subject: Re: 24/05 Kerry-Anne

norwichdonder wrote:
Well at least on the outside she took it on the chin, considering it was only a £2k better deal on the £250k than Robs. Can't but think she was partly wanting the fame of a £250k win rather than being going down as the highest dealer.

Yes, there's a lot of that. She saw Suzanne's game, which in reality must've taken place less than a week before her's*, and thought, "I'd like a slice of that." That's the only reason to turn down £140k over the chance to get an extra £110k

Great build up to that point, though.

Noel: "Never, never known a period... like it" - DOND 20.1.11

http://bit.ly/DomSez39 - Carry on Deal Or No Deal - a 2-minute mash-up
http://youtube.com/DomSezXL - DomSez on Youtube
http://facebook.com/domrobinson - My Facebook page
http://twitter.com/domrobinson - My Twitter page

Profile E-mail  

BankerSpanker

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:17 pm    Author: BankerSpanker    Post subject: Re: 24/05 Kerry-Anne

If the £50k was there too then I could understand. But with £10k there, that's an incredibly foolish decision.
Sometimes I just wish players wouldn't focus so hard on the £250k. £140k was surely a HOUSE right there.

Profile E-mail  

Kanga

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:25 pm    Author: Kanga    Post subject: Re: 24/05 Kerry-Anne

Kerry-Anne was a brave and exciting player. Once she had got to 3 box I'm not surprised she went all the way. Yes she was fixed on being the next QM but she did go away with £10K.

Profile E-mail  

DanS

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:50 pm    Author: DanS    Post subject: Re: 24/05 Kerry-Anne

What a fantastic game that was, despite the anti-climactic finish. Simply tremendous.

I hope there aren't going to be too many more people here slating Kerry-Anne for her decisions here, but it's quite frankly ridiculous to do so. Some people here of course would play to the statistics and make a decision based on that, but she was clearly playing it based off of ambition and feelings, which is perfectly fine. 8% above the average? Statistically fantastic. Doesn't mean she should deal, because she wasn't playing the game statistically. So well done to Kerry-Anne for that brilliant game and hard luck that it didn't go her way.

Profile E-mail  

travis P

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:03 pm    Author: travis P    Post subject: Re: 24/05 Kerry-Anne

Mad Mark wrote:
Goodbye forever. I've seen enough rubbish for a lifetime.

You said that too many times before and you still post on here. I know you will be back.

I just watched it on C4+1 and I can clearly see she was determined, wasn't she? I'm not susprised she declined an offer above the average as a minority of people who have played on the show would not know how the average matters into the game. As I've said before, nearly all the contestants don't use the board to work out the calculations and would rather take the money they wanted to have.

Last edited by travis P on Tue May 24, 2011 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MisterAl

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:03 pm    Author: MisterAl    Post subject: Re: 24/05 Kerry-Anne

In real life, Suzanne had won the £250k just two days before, and Rob's emotionally charged affair had taken place just a couple of hours earlier. Kerry-Anne did admit to Noel that "maybe I got a bit carried away there" at the end of her game (that line didn't make the final edit), but the great thing is that she was still smiling and still genuinely happy with every decision she'd made. Not every player leaves their game feeling like that.

Sitting in the audience, I realised that this was going to be something quite extraordinary the moment she turned down the £45k, but the biggest gasp from the people around me happened when she rejected £100k. I was surprised by that reaction since, with a guaranteed £10k at that point, I personally didn't expect her to deal. I was half-expecting a swap only offer at 2-box, or possibly an offer bang on the mean, but an offer above the mean was a surprise. By that stage it was obvious that not even that was likely to stop her, and indeed it didn't.

A phenomenal game, and one where I feel very lucky to have witnessed it from inside the studio.

Profile E-mail  

BankerSpanker

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:04 pm    Author: BankerSpanker    Post subject: Re: 24/05 Kerry-Anne

If that was me and I got to that point, this is what would happen:

Noel: The offer is £140,000.

*0.0000000001 seconds later*

Me: I'M READY FOR THE QUESTION!

Noel: £140,000, Deal or No Deal?

*another 0.0000000001 seconds later*

Me: *with the loudest voice ever heard on TV* DEAL!!!!!!!!
------
I would've gone at £45,000 though.

Profile E-mail  

KP

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:05 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 24/05 Kerry-Anne
International Forums Moderator

Erm, how do I respond to that?

With a series of questions, I think, because blinkin' hell I doubt I have answers from this.

Was she influenced by Suzanne's game? No idea.
Was she influenced by Rob's game? Doubtful, and her appearance in the edit for that one might just have been simple foreshadowing of what was to come today. Horrible coincidence to have 17 on the table each time, and 7 with the £250k at the end as well.
Was she influenced by Noel? Thankfully, this seems highly unlikely. After Rob's game, knowing that the hype was for the game after, I was terrified that there would be influence. Not seen any evidence in that direction.
Can she be accused of questionable judgment? Not so much in her decisions as in the frame of reference she used in making them. She made decisions entirely consistent with a particular approach to the game - the criticism should be reserved for how she ascertained that she would follow that approach. Subtle difference from criticising the No Deals themselves.
Did she have regrets? MisterAl asserted otherwise on Twitter, and unless I hear any first-hand accounts from contestants on the wings, I'm going to run with that.
Is £140k a house? In Quebec, Co Durham, yes it is. (This is the only property in the village of Quebec itself on the market, but there are a few other properties in neighbouring villages for £140k. Like one in Esh Winning, and what an irony that name is in context. For what it's worth, £250k in the area gets you this.)
Should we criticise Kerry-Anne? Only for having a one-dimensional approach to the game. Same as hundreds of others that have appeared in her place down the years, except most of them were blindly focused on an outcome rather more modest.

Oh, this. Does it matter that she declined an AMO? Inasmuch as even I can say it does, I would say "only because it was at two-box where the less mathematically-inclined could still recognise that it was an AMO". Compare with the 11-box AMOs of Dennis and Sheran, for instance.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

travis P

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:17 pm    Author: travis P    Post subject: Re: 24/05 Kerry-Anne

KP wrote:
Erm, how do I respond to that?

With a series of questions, I think, because blinkin' hell I doubt I have answers from this.

Was she influenced by Suzanne's game? No idea.

One answer we can answer that she was determined to win either £250,000 and nothing else. We rarely see offers that are higher than normal these days. This could let to The Banker knowing they are a massive threat. With Suzanne she had a powerful board but with Kerry-Anne he knew something in her file she was there for one purpose.

Dslash

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:37 pm    Author: Dslash    Post subject: Re: 24/05 Kerry-Anne

To be honest, if she did go on to win the QM, everyone would be calling her brave and great, rather than stupid... hmm. :ponder:

Profile E-mail  

hogwild94

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:46 pm    Author: hogwild94    Post subject: Re: 24/05 Kerry-Anne
Global Moderator

Dslash wrote:
To be honest, if she did go on to win the QM, everyone would be calling her brave and great, rather than stupid... hmm. :ponder:

Exactly! I read someone on YouTube sum it up perfectly. They said something like: people will call them greedy if they go for it and win the smaller sum, brave if they go for it and win the higher sum, and a coward if they deal and blow a big sum.

Check out SLUDGE for original, non-cover rock music!

Profile E-mail  

DanS

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:48 pm    Author: DanS    Post subject: Re: 24/05 Kerry-Anne

hogwild94 wrote:
Dslash wrote:

Exactly! I read someone on YouTube sum it up perfectly. They said something like: people will call them greedy if they go for it and win the smaller sum, brave if they go for it and win the higher sum, and a coward if they deal and blow a big sum.

Quoted for truth. This is exactly it. These two posts here describe a fair amount of peoples attitudes towards certain results.

Profile E-mail  

Simon F

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:02 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 24/05 Kerry-Anne

Will post my thoughts later but amazingly she's nowhere near the British gameshow record for the most money lost on a gamble (about £88k short if I recall - rather ironically)

KP

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:11 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 24/05 Kerry-Anne
International Forums Moderator

Simon F wrote:
Will post my thoughts later but amazingly she's nowhere near the British gameshow record for the most money lost on a gamble (about £88k short if I recall - rather ironically)

Indeed. :D

Here's another mindbending stat where that came from - Kerry-Anne broke the DoND record for the most money risked at any point in the game at three-box. The players who gambled on a £250k-high two-box had £50k (Kirsty), £81k (Morris), £42k (Laura), £17,499.99 (Alice), £87,999.99 (Corinne), and £65k (Suzanne) on the line. Kerry-Anne risked £90k at three-box, even though she would have to go through two stages to lose that much (as indeed she did).

Unless I'm sorely mistaken, the only comparable amounts staked on a gamble on any UK show were the stakes of Sarah and Julian in the first PokerFace final. Julian lost £75,500, Sarah risked a few grand more than that.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

[ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]