Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:14 am Last visit was: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:14 am

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

h2005

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:53 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 31/03 Charlotte
Administrator & Global Moderator

Warnings: 0
Round 6 - proveout

18 - Abiola - £5

20 - newbie Tanya - £75,000

11 - Shannon - £35,000

Banker time with £20,000 and £100,000 remaining...

Profile E-mail  

h2005

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:54 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 31/03 Charlotte

Banker's offer would've been:

£52,000

Profile E-mail  

KP

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:54 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 31/03 Charlotte
International Forums Moderator

Difficult to argue with a win of that magnitude. Won't stop some trying, mind.

I was ready to tear into whoever said it was 50-50 to get a better offer until I worked out that it was (assuming blue/£100k would be lower - £23k would be my guess). Unlucky to keep £100k with a red kicker.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Last edited by KP on Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Winner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:54 pm    Author: Winner    Post subject: Re: 31/03 Charlotte

Suckered in by the banker and noel!

Profile E-mail  

h2005

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:55 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 31/03 Charlotte

Charlotte has £20,000 in her box 17.

Profile E-mail  

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:55 pm    Author: Mark    Post subject: Re: 31/03 Charlotte

OH DEAR... and again.... another player who should have been a lot more brave.

Phew at the £100k not being in the box!

h2005

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:56 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 31/03 Charlotte

Box 3 with Jim contains the £100,000

Charlotte says the end of the game is a lot harder, but she can fulfil her ambitions now.

Profile E-mail  

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:10 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 31/03 Charlotte

Well that was pretty lucky ultimately!

Yes she understood the £5 could still have been won, but that board was just too stable at 5-box to definitely deal anything under £40,000. Just a shame she couldn't keep the £5 instead of the £100,000 to prove a lot of us wrong about another round being in there!

I wouldn't have been comfortable going on...but I'd have been near enough convinced of a offer of at least £26,000 should I have found the £5. Could have been a lot worse remember!

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

Profile E-mail  

FergusSiraLexon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:16 pm    Author: FergusSiraLexon    Post subject: Re: 31/03 Charlotte

Has anyone ever said "No Deal" after Noel has done his little trick of pretending it's one offer only to go up and up?

They fall for it every time. People should have enough sense and enough experience of this game by now to know what's a poor offer, decent offer, good offer etc.

She seemed really pleased when Noel said "£23,000" but that was never going to be the proper offer and because she'd somehow got it into her head that 23K was a good offer, when Noel eventually got to the real offer of £31,000(Which was no more than a decent offer for that board), she and the whooping pilgrims behind her were more than delighted and thought it was a brilliant offer.

This was by no means a terrible "Deal" by Charlotte and I've seen plenty of worse decisions this year alone but I do think she should've gone on because in my view, £31,000 was not a great offer for that board.

Profile E-mail  

KP

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:19 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 31/03 Charlotte
International Forums Moderator

Flipside: keep £5 and it goes down even if it's with £100k!
Interesting decision, and I think I would have wanted the median £35k there.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

killersbee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:26 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 31/03 Charlotte

I don't know what's more frustrating, early deals or Noel's pointless offer raise...and besides, she was never going to win £5 anyway...can't seem to say anymore about it apart from frustrating :unsure

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:20 pm    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject: Re: 31/03 Charlotte

Was it just me or did I hear The Banker tell Noel the offer of £31,000? :ponder: I was sure i'd heard £31,000 whilst Noel was on the phone and then indeed it did prove to be the offer (eventually).

Also is Noel instructed to build up an offer like that or does he just do it of his own accord.

His memory must be going as well considering he thought that £11,500 was one of the biggest opening offers he's seen in ages. :roll:

An enjoyable game though, liked the twin thing they did. I thought it was worth going on with a 5-box like that because if you did find the blue you were at least guaranteed £20,000 and even if you just kept the blue and another red in you would at least get an offer in the thousands.

Profile E-mail  

Simon F

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:28 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 31/03 Charlotte

Rule #1 of deal if Noel starts a sentence by "How would you feel with an offer of ....." - it's not going to be the real offer.

This was still (just) an TPW though and again had any other box other than the £100k been left at 2-box, it would have felt a lot better (even a £42k ish offer for £20k/£75k wouldn't have been too bad).

EV at 5-box was about £37.5k so dealing £31k wasn't a terrible decision although if you took £75k/blue as about £18k as being a drop you could stomach, there was only a 20% chance of a poor offer at 2-box.

To be honest, I think the 2-box offer might have been more difficult to decide on that the 5-box (close to the average but not quite close enough to be a certain deal)

James1978

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:36 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 31/03 Charlotte

She had amazing hair. :)

And even though some people are lambasting her for her deal, I don't blame her one bit. She could still win peanuts but best possible scenario only triple her money, you only play once so I feel much better to settle for the real thing in these times of recession I feel.

Scarily similar to Constance's 5-box IIRC, only Constance did have the £250k to push it up, Charlotte didn't have that which made dealing much more sense in my book! :)

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

paulyc

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:52 pm    Author: paulyc    Post subject: Re: 31/03 Charlotte

Has anyone considered that if had gone on, she was possibly going to end up with the 20k as thats a fab backup to go for the 100k which she did not have? I cant blame her for the deal really. The board was strong but looked stronger than it was. If 5 had remained at the end with any other number (even the 100k) her offer wouldn't have been above 31k. And Aishas' bad luck game was yesterday.

Profile E-mail  

StatsMan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:54 pm    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 31/03 Charlotte

Well, it's interesting which Deal Eye made of the 5-box decision (see relevant thread!). I can't blame a deal there as it is a significant amount to risk even if there appears to be enough stability in the board to suggest it is worth going on. What a contrast to yesterday, with the 1-box scenario reversed.

Tough call, but I'd have been persuaded on by the all-red finishes giving solid offers, and more chance of knocking out the £5 than not. Also, I could probably handle taking a get-out on £5/£75k and £5/£100k, so only 2 finishes are troublesome for me...

Profile E-mail  

RMF1254

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:22 am    Author: RMF1254    Post subject: Re: 31/03 Charlotte

We may have had some games recently that haven't turned out great - but, I'm afraid to say, this one was just terrible, despite the £30k+ win.

(1) Jefferson and Aisha had great opening rounds, but Charlotte's all-blue affair was even better - yet she gets offered £1,500 less than Jefferson.

But worse, Noel says there hasn't been an opening offer this big for a while??!?!!?!!?!?!?! :shock: :shock: :shock: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Has he really forgotten about Jefferson already??!?!? If I was on the editing team, I'd have cut this out instantly...

(2) The Banker says he's worried because Charlotte is a young Welsh lady - even though the £250k has just gone??!? :smt011

(3) Noel plays around with the offers for the umpteenth time.

WHY?!??!?!? :evil: :evil: :evil: It's not one bit funny, and to me it doesn't create any tension at all!!!

He wouldn't want to do it in my presence...

(4) And sure enough, Charlotte deals - and more than likely she had Crystal's and Aisha's games on her mind, too. :roll:

(5) And, predictably, it turns out to be the wrong move, as this sticky period continues...

I don't intend to sound mean or disrespectful towards Charlotte - but this really was the sort of game that would have me going apoplectic had I been near the TV for it.

Profile E-mail  

RMF1254

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:26 am    Author: RMF1254    Post subject: Re: 31/03 Charlotte

I'm probably running the risk of getting into a lot of trouble here - but I've been looking through the posts made by Winner, and... well, let's just say there's something about them that I'm not too pushed on...

I'm sorry to say that - but I'm just fussy when it comes to things like this.

Profile E-mail  

norwichdonder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:27 am    Author: norwichdonder    Post subject: Re: 31/03 Charlotte

RMF1254 wrote:
I'm sorry to say that - but I'm just fussy when it comes to things like this.

What??

I've seen Noel do the fake offer trick a couple of times before with such a strong board and they've all dealt. Its a very clever mind game to which Derren Brown would be proud of. Maybe Noel learnt it from him?

I'll just add something that hasn't been highlighted this game. It would have been good if she had preselected the choice of final 3 boxes and had been offered the hypo swap. Then we might have actually seen the £100k brought to the table and it would have made the Deal feel even worse.

Profile E-mail  

killersbee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:22 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 31/03 Charlotte

RMF1254, have to 100% agree with all that.

[ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]