Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:10 pm Last visit was: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:10 pm

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

killersbee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:17 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 20/03 Rachel

Warnings: 0
There was quite a lot of faffing about, I have to agree...

These contestants can do a lot better than that!

JS Boy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:27 pm    Author: JS Boy    Post subject: Re: 20/03 Rachel

This games and a few over recent weeks has made me think that they should change the format a bit so that it is not such a gamble going from 8 to 5 box and especially from 5 to 2 box, e.g. opening more boxes in the early rounds and then maybe just 2 or even one as the game progresses

Profile E-mail  

BankerSpanker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:29 pm    Author: BankerSpanker    Post subject: Re: 20/03 Rachel

Another 8-box deal = :smt015

Fan of classic rock and metal

Profile E-mail  

KP

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:33 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 20/03 Rachel
International Forums Moderator

It'll go down as an OBW, but it felt more like a draw. The third round really tore the game apart, and it was only a fortunate fourth round that got the game back into high four-figure territory, where it remained. The £10,000 was crucial throughout, preventing a two-box game at eight-box and a one-box game at five-box, but I think I'd still taken the revised eight-box offer (although I wouldn't have taken the initial £6,500). Pretty good play all round in the end.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

RMF1254

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:33 pm    Author: RMF1254    Post subject: Re: 20/03 Rachel

Well, what they definitely should do is edit the thing better - so that a deal isn't so obvious before it actually happens.

They certainly could have made Rachel's deal a lot less obvious by cutting out a significant amount of that faffing about - none of which I, for one, found all that funny... :x

Profile E-mail  

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:35 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 20/03 Rachel

Nothing wrong with that game in all...a bit weird how it became a one-box game with £50,000 found, yet the offer still went up...I'd have expected a stick...so only the £10,000 in the box would have been my only sour note :)

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

Profile E-mail  

Simon F

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:55 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 20/03 Rachel

Mark wrote:
As the offer has just gone up, worth going on for at least another round.

Not sure I quite understand the logic in that. As you wrote it, it seems that you are implying that it wasn't worth going on another round at the lower offer.

Anyway, for me it was classic 8-box deal and glad to see that both Noel and someone in the wings recognised it. Half the average for a one box game at 5-box and if that isn't significantly above the offer, it's sensible to deal. True, about 35% of the time, the offer will go up but the player has to decide if it's worth the risk.

In the end, in terms of the scale of the win, it was impossible really to lose today (other than taking £4k at 2-box).

I'm also not sure if there is an 8-box deal that involves a lengthy discussion, how it can be edited better. The only way would be to add more non-game related stuff before 8-box, which would also give away the fact that an early deal was likely. In a fixed 1-hour format, it's really a no-win situation for the editors.

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:29 pm    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 20/03 Rachel

Poor Rachel, sadly i don't think her game ever really recovered from that rather devastating third round. It's a tough game to judge because there was no real right or wrong time to deal (Well except for the £1,000 third offer, that would have clearly been wrong), eight box was as good a time as any especially given Rachel - or Rachel's boyfriend - had managed to squeeze an extra £1,500 out of the Banker, that is an achievement in itself.

I may be in the minority here but i found the asides in today's game hugely entertaining, The Banker seemed to be in a really playful mood and he had me in stitches in places - teasing the newbie, Natalie, even his exchange with Rachel's BF. Much more fun than the Banker's appretice stuff that dominated Paul's game

killersbee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:52 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 20/03 Rachel

Perhaps if that third round never happened, the game would've been onto something

Simon F

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:01 am    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 20/03 Rachel

killersbee wrote:
Perhaps if that third round never happened, the game would've been onto something

Depends where the third round ended up and what the offers would have been. That's a lot of its and buts though.

KP

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:08 am    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 20/03 Rachel
International Forums Moderator

Swap the third round and the fourth, and you might well have Rachel chasing the game to the end if the 8-box offer is a joke (and there's not much of an "if" about that)...

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

yabbaguy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:35 am    Author: yabbaguy    Post subject: Re: 20/03 Rachel

Seemed like a good result, I enjoyed the game.

Anyone catch the graphics fail when Rachel took the deal? The paddles (right word?) didn't fly out before the DEAL paddle flew in. Just me and my silly observant remarks.

Profile E-mail  
 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]