Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:43 am Last visit was: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:43 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

kestral

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:52 pm    Author: kestral    Post subject: Re: 11/03 Fran
Site Owner, Administrator & Global Moderator

Warnings: 0
If you played on you would have almost been guaranteed what you dealt at says Noel.

Banker's offer would've been:

£91,021

Mark

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:52 pm    Author: Mark    Post subject: Re: 11/03 Fran

OH DEAR... Should have been a LOT more brave. Should have gone with the others said... and go all the way.

Skyline

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:53 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: 11/03 Fran
Forum Games Moderator

I'd offer the Banker's Gamble here. :bluelol

kestral

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:53 pm    Author: kestral    Post subject: Re: 11/03 Fran

That was certainly a massive mistake says Noel.

Noel opens Fran's box 7 and reveals £250,000

KP

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:54 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 11/03 Fran
International Forums Moderator

Not often I criticise a player's decisions, but it's hard not to criticise that one. Glad to see that a bad proveout came after a genuinely questionable Deal, I hate it when they come after very sensible Deals...

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

kestral

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:54 pm    Author: kestral    Post subject: Re: 11/03 Fran

Fran says that she said to Lee someone was due a big sum soon...

Tom with box 14 contains the £10,000

Mark

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:54 pm    Author: Mark    Post subject: Re: 11/03 Fran

OH DEAR... OH DEAR... OH DEAR...

Should have been a LOT more brave... and then what a MASSIVE 21st Birthday present that would have been to her.

She had her chance... but blew it BIG BIG BIG time.

KP

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:56 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 11/03 Fran
International Forums Moderator

The only problem with that is that someone is going to feel duty-bound to take a questionable risk on Sunday, I fear. In and of itself, though, that was a result that befitted the very poor Deal.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

paulyc

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:59 pm    Author: paulyc    Post subject: Re: 11/03 Fran

Well i cant choose the 250k for my lottery ticket now. Needs to be no 11. I'm off to win the euromillions now! :biggrin

StatsMan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:45 pm    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 11/03 Fran

h2005 wrote:
I wonder if Noel really will wax his hair in Chris's game. :P Noel's hair is turning into a bit of a mullet again - maybe he should have it cut before Chris plays, to avoid a waxing disaster.

Shame the £50's gone. I also thought StatsMan's post yesterday was a bit of a spoiler and implied it went on for longer - but apparently not!

Yep, fooled you! :P Don't forget, I had to be careful not to reveal anything! :D

Oh, yeah, I forgot Noel said he would get his hair waxed for Chris's game... :shock:

Back to the game anyway...

Now, normally when I have seen a show at the Dream Factory, I try my best to back whatever decision the player decides, and I also understand how they have reached it more...

However, I just can't defend today's deal, because by any metric it was frankly dreadful. I was sitting 2 to the right of the relative, and I can't tell you how much I wanted to stand up and shout, "but it's less than a quarter of the average!", but I just about restrained myself. I'm not sure why her mum was there because she was of little help to Fran's decision making. Once she had the fixated fear of going away with a blue in her mind, that was it. I haven't seen the edit yet, but she got in quite a state at the beginning of her game, and I remember thinking she looked defeated before she'd even sat in the chair. It's a shame because (as I've now found out) , she gave some quite good advice on the wings, but wasn't able to heed it herself...

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

StatsMan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:54 pm    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 11/03 Fran

We felt a bit daft wearing those ribbons at the end after the game had gone so disastrously wrong - I practically threw them off myself in anger! :P On the plus side, it was quite a fun section with the cake coming on and the hats being worn, it's only when she dealt that it became less fun, really... :roll:

Anyway, I'm not going to harp on about it, needless to say I expected there to be a lot of criticism for this game. What a way to break the £50 run with £250k on the table!

killersbee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:57 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 11/03 Fran

What a terrible deal, that was the wrong time to go...worse game of the month so far

norwichdonder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:01 pm    Author: norwichdonder    Post subject: Re: 11/03 Fran

Okay I'm going to stand up and say I actually enjoyed this game because of the outcome. Its games like this that make me watch DOND. I'm with Statsman and was screaming at her 10k was way below the average. She only had the £1 and £10 lower than £500. The rest were all very chunky reds as Noel would say. Even her friend Debbie was saying she would go on another round. The prediction by Alex was spot on about the next offer being double!

Ok she wanted a guaranteed 10k to pay her uni bills and thats what she got. She should be happy with that yet you would have thought she had lost a leg! What a way to celebrate your 21st!

If after her deal she had found the £250k and £75k she and the audience would have been jumping and screaming for joy. The actual outcome proved there can be just as many, if not more regrets at low dealing and ending up with a hypothetical power 5 win. My only regret at this game was that we didn't get a deserved laugh by the banker over the phone to add to my sound clip. :suspect: We did however get Noel really sticking the knife in her during the proveout.

The epitaph of this game can be summed up by the banker just before she dealt- "Do you want to remember your 21st as a disaster or do you want 10,000 reasons to remember it".
Ironically he was correct on both counts as I doubt she will ever forget or forgive herself for dealing at £10,000 with £250,000 in her box.

StatsMan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:59 pm    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 11/03 Fran

My view from the studio was that she got tied up in her own negativity really, and she mentioned a lot about Danielle's game, with her not getting a chance to take anything meaningful, feeling she had the chance to do this (regardless of the board strength).

The advice from the wings was sound, particularly Debbie and Alex - she'd even asked Debbie would she should do, and then essentially rejected that advice anyway... :roll:

At least I can take some comfort from the probable fact that if I'd said something about the odds, she'd probably still have dealt - she wasn't going to be swayed by anyone I don't think, other than her mum, who seemed to take the rather 'easy' option of opting out of an opinion, just at the time when Fran was looking for her support to go on. As it wasn't forthcoming, she dealt.

I too have to confess this time to being pleased about the proveout from a statistical point of view, it kinda deserved to be punished...

Still, as I say, it was quite a fun game up to that point... :D

EDIT: Oh, and at least it wasn't as bad as Sherilyn's deal (which I didn't know at time of filming of course)!

Simon F

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:13 am    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 11/03 Fran

Was watching this on C4 this afternoon but had to leave at the last break without hearing what Fran had done but I had guessed she was likely to deal. She didn't really seem the cautious type but the banker read her perfectly.

yabbaguy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:16 am    Author: yabbaguy    Post subject: Re: 11/03 Fran

Bang. I'm upset that I missed the £50 madness due to a boatload of work, but this was crazy good madness and good fun in itself.

But ack, with £21,021 - I would've jumped ship. 60% chance of wrecking the 250K and having to chase for the rest of the game didn't appeal to me.

£10,021 wasn't good though. Fran was great though, and I do somewhat admire the fact she had the conviction to take that deal, and the Banker was right with Sherilyn where taking a speculative deal has its own courage. Courage that can massively bite your butt, needless to say, but it is quite true.

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:28 am    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 11/03 Fran

And on that note...I've seen Mark publish his opinions on FB now :lol:

But yeah a poor decision to go that early...but what a way to end the £50 run ay?!

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

RMF1254

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:39 pm    Author: RMF1254    Post subject: Re: 11/03 Fran

Guess it's a good thing that I got called away to other business just after the £50 went.

I'm afraid to say that I have to list this deal under the same category as those of Richard, Meena, Sherilyn, £1k Michael and HMS Belfast Charlotte...

Yes, £10,021 would do a lot for someone like Fran - but did she REALLY think things would go wrong if she went on?!? With three amounts bigger, one roughly the same, and a very good £5k fallback, the chances of things going wrong in the next three boxes were pretty slim...

But going by other posts on this thread and on the DS forums, it seems that she got pretty emotional when considering that £10,021 - and was fairly upset too when the £250k was revealed in her box. :( :(

And as if things couldn't get any worse... she lost by just £1,021 less than Tolleck... :(

Strange, though, that Noel didn't ask her if she would have swapped. Maybe he's cottoned on that hypo-swaps with the £250k are not popular? ;)

And finally, yes, what a way to end the £50 run. Unfortunately, it also makes games like Dale's feel even more distant... :(

killersbee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:47 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 11/03 Fran

I know what you mean, Dale & Corrine would've won the jackpot with ease!

norwichdonder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:33 pm    Author: norwichdonder    Post subject: Re: 11/03 Fran

killersbee wrote:
I know what you mean, Dale & Corrine would've won the jackpot with ease!

Thumbs up to that point! I can just imagine Dale sat watching that show in a smoking jacket with pipe and slippers shouting at her to go on :smt047 and then doing the wheelchair robot dance when the £250k was revealed :biggrin

[ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]