Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:24 pm Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:24 pm

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Skyline

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:16 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: 10/03 Ellen
Forum Games Moderator

Warnings: 0
You're about 8 times more likely to win the lottery then...

Simon F

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:49 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 10/03 Ellen

BankerSpanker wrote:
The odds of it coming to the table 6 times in a row is 1 in (22^6) = 1 in 113,379,904! :shock:
That would be quite some feat if that happened. If only it was the £250K...

You need to reduce that by a factor of 22 unless you are talking about the £50 specifically.

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:13 am    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 10/03 Ellen

Whether the odds be 1 in 22 or 1 in 5 million there's no denying that it's spooky seeing the £50 on the table for the 5th day in a row, especially given the emphasis the Banker placed on it.

Plenty of humour to be found in todays game, Ellen was a great sport. Enjoyed that a lot

Technically Ellen left the game one round too late but at least she avoided a complete crash

KP

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:23 am    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 10/03 Ellen
International Forums Moderator

If this run isn't over, and StatsMan hints that it isn't, you have to wonder whether Endemol considered "fixing" the game so £50 wasn't on the table, in order to make the show not look fixed. Does that even make sense?

Anyway, a game that could have been a huge OPW if the player had caused the Banker to be inclined to go big at eight-box, but he went far too low, got lucky, and then a close five-box call went the right way.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Simon F

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:32 am    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 10/03 Ellen

I was trying to work out the probability that over the course of the 1,559 games so far, a box came to the table in 5 consecutive games but Mister Al beat me to it elsewhere so I'll just quote his calculations

Quote:
P(the same amount being brought to the table in every one of five specific games of Deal or No Deal) ≈ 4.27 × 10-6.

P(the same amount being brought to the table in any five consecutive games of Deal or No Deal over the course of nearly six years worth of programmes) ≈ 0.006 - About the same as the chance of taking out the top three from 11-box to 8-box

So not quite as unlikely as first seems in the grand context of the show's history.

paulyc

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:56 pm    Author: paulyc    Post subject: Re: 10/03 Ellen

Right thats me got tonight's numbers for tonights euro millions: the last 5 game boxes, just need one more. With odds like that who can go wrong? I'll be watching tonight's game with baited breath. :smt023

[ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]