Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:06 am Last visit was: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:06 am

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

h2005

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:36 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 24/02 Kitty
Administrator & Global Moderator

Warnings: 0
RMF1254 wrote:
He obviously means Richard Wagner and not Wagbo... :lol:

That wasn't made clear. :lol:

h2005

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:39 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 24/02 Kitty

Round 4

Noel says the banker's predicted that this game is about to swing one way.

13 - Fran - £10

Kitty gets everyone to say "50p". The banker phones and Kitty answers, and says he's got the wrong number. :lol:

20 - Frank - £100,000

19 - Lee - £100

Banker time

h2005

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:40 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 24/02 Kitty

Noel says that was a good recovery. The banker says this game still hasn't dipped either way.

Banker's offer:

£14,000

h2005

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:44 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 24/02 Kitty

Kitty's boyfriend says the board's looking healthy, but it's a very good sum of money. Kitty says she's worried about taking the 2 highest values out, as it won't leave her with much. Her boyfriend asks whether she feels confident or not, and she says she does, but she's seen so many games go wrong.

The banker phones and says the odds aren't in Kitty's favour, as she has to open 3 boxes before the next offer. He says he'd deal now, because even hitting just one of the 2 large reds will be trouble. Nick says the chances of things going wrong are slim. Kitty's boyfriend says she knows what her dad would be shouting at the TV.

Kitty says

DEAL

RMF1254

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:45 pm    Author: RMF1254    Post subject: Re: 24/02 Kitty

I was about to say that if she hit one of those big three, then her position wouldn't be "really good" - when Internet Explorer *beep*ed up on me AGAIN! :x :x :x

It really can be a piece of *beep*ing *beep* sometimes. :x :lol:

Anyway, sure enough, she goes and hits the second of those big three - yet the Banker still goes up... :shock:

Famous relations aside, he's clearly taking her very seriously.

h2005

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:45 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 24/02 Kitty

Kitty says her dad would've been shouting to deal!

Noel calls a break...

RMF1254

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:45 pm    Author: RMF1254    Post subject: Re: 24/02 Kitty

I was about to say that if she hit one of those big three, then her position wouldn't be "really good" - when Internet Explorer *beep*ed up on me AGAIN! :x :x :x

It really can be a piece of *beep*ing *beep* sometimes. :x :lol:

Anyway, sure enough, she goes and hits the second of those big three - yet the Banker still goes up... :shock:

Famous relations aside, he's clearly taking her very seriously.

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:46 pm    Author: Mark    Post subject: Re: 24/02 Kitty

Was worth at least another round. I feel she's gone one / two round early.

h2005

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:00 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 24/02 Kitty

Sorry about the lateness of the post - the forum was playing up and wouldn't let me submit any posts...

We're back

Round 5 - proveout

Noel says a lot of people wouldn't have walked away from a board as strong as this.

4 - Paul - £5,000

"Not good enough", says Noel.

3 - Tiffany - £250

16 - Dom - 50p

"NO!" shouts Noel.

Banker time

Banker's offer would've been:

£28,000

Round 6 - proveout

Noel says this isn't good.

10 - Danielle - £250,000

17 - Alex - £50,000

21 - Debbie - £3,000

Banker time with £500 and £1,000 remaining...

The banker says the see-saw of this game has come full circle!

Banker's offer would've been:

£725

Kitty has £500 in her box 9.

Box 5 with Olivia contains the £1,000

Kitty's boyfriend says that was a perfect game but Kitty says she's gutted she couldn't have £28,000.

Brick

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:47 pm    Author: Brick    Post subject: Re: 24/02 Kitty

Deal was perhaps a touch cautious, although with the 3 lowest reds the board probably looked stronger than it actually was. Could have been a lot worse.

killersbee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:10 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 24/02 Kitty

The right time to deal was indeed at 5-box, not 8-box...

James1978

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:57 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 24/02 Kitty

Can't begrudge her dealing on a definite 2-box game, though the oranges may have stopped there from being a joke offer at 5-box if one biggie had gone - I'd have been torn there myself.....

An a fan of the band Sparks, whenever Kitty had to open her box on the wings, I ended up singing this song here (which you may find spectacularly annoying)!!! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgB_C46kVoo

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

KP

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:00 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 24/02 Kitty
International Forums Moderator

Oh now this is interesting. There is not a lot of money in opera, for the most part, and singers will often live a hand-to-mouth existence, despite having most commonly been from relatively wealthy backgrounds. That said, as Kitty only started classical training as a teenager, it's possible that this isn't the case here. Either way, her utility function might be interesting to consi...oh she has a high-profile parent. Even more so, then. Told you that aspiring opera singers can end up going from riches to rags. From famous parent to appearing on a daytime game show.

Decent start, you expect to hit one of the Power 5 in the opening round. Opening joke. Interesting that she felt nervous doing an out-of-character audition. One big hit and two blues; the block of five in the top right is what will assert much of the shape of this game. Offer is still nowhere near dealable.

At halfway, the game is set up beautifully for high drama: five blues, three oranges, and three of the top four. Could even be a dealable offer coming here, you know. PRODUCT PLACEMENT! We don't quite get a dealable offer, but I'd forgive anyone taking something in the mid-teens here. It's a really good position for drama, not a particularly strong one for the player, but one with promise. "The Banker's predicted that this game is about to swing one way." So of course we get a blue/£100k/blue round, and this game cannot stay on a knife-edge much longer. (Oh, wait, now we'll get a round with £50k and two oranges.) £14,000 is about right for the board, and now we find out about Kitty's utility function. With the Banker hinting that a one-box game on the £250k could drag her on to two-box, Kitty makes the safe call. That £14,000 will probably allow her to take a chance at following her operatic ambitions, it'll certainly fund a lot of the travel expenses and other costs that go with the territory, and I suspect that explains her decision.

It was arguble either way... the proveout goes the wrong way at first, then crashes, and it's a technical draw. Probably a fair result, especially as the £28,000 hypothetical offer was entirely plausible.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

norwichdonder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:36 pm    Author: norwichdonder    Post subject: Re: 24/02 Kitty

KP wrote:
Oh now this is interesting. It was arguble either way... the proveout goes the wrong way at first, then crashes, and it's a technical draw. Probably a fair result, especially as the £28,000 hypothetical offer was entirely plausible.

summed up very nicely. I was expecting a little higher proveout offer than the £28k- perhaps £32k. Anyway the end result was good.

How many games since we've had a power 5 in the players box? Wheres that statto, man? :blueponder I just had a brainwave - if Noel ever leaves, they should get the guy who commentates the lottery. As in, at 5 box "player has 4 reds and 1p. The last time we saw this was in Karens game two months ago and she was offered £xx,xxx but played on and won the 1p. She became the 37th member of the 1p club"

That would certainly be a change from the almost predictable "you now need to avoid the 100k or your going home with a blue". Yes we know that Noel!

RMF1254

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:05 pm    Author: RMF1254    Post subject: Re: 24/02 Kitty

And that's what happens when Internet Explorer *beep*s up on you in a big way at completely the wrong time - you get so *beep*ed off and frustrated that you wind up clicking the Submit button more than once... :x :roll:

Plus it's so slow that by the time that comment and its duplicates are posted, we've already moved a good bit further into the game... :x :roll:

Rant over.

Now that IE is finally back to normal for me (thank heavens), can that duplicate of my comment where I call the thing a piece of *beep*ing *beep* please be deleted? H?

Cheers in advance. :) :smt023

And finally, apologies if I may giving the impression here that I'm gagging for attention - but who wouldn't start ranting and raving if IE or Firefox played up when they're trying to post comments in the middle of a game? ;) ;) ;)

KP

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:07 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 24/02 Kitty
International Forums Moderator

Alan Dedicoat as host of Deal or No Deal. Now that's the most amusing suggestion I've heard in some time!

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

h2005

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:17 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 24/02 Kitty

RMF1254 wrote:
And that's what happens when Internet Explorer *beep*s up on you in a big way at completely the wrong time - you get so *beep*ed off and frustrated that you wind up clicking the Submit button more than once... :x :roll:

As much as I hate to defend Internet Explorer, the forum seemed to be having problems during the latter part of the show so posts either weren't getting through or were being duplicated. Oh and install Firefox, for your own sanity. :P

I've already deleted your duplicate post by the way. :smt023

KP wrote:
Alan Dedicoat as host of Deal or No Deal. Now that's the most amusing suggestion I've heard in some time!

Michael Portillo would be an interesting choice - judging from his Great British Railway Journeys (great programme by the way :oops: ), it'd go like this:

"Ah, box 2... 2 being the number of cups of tea I had each morning when I was an MP"
"Ah, box 18... 18 being the number of books I regularly referred to when I was Minister of Transport"
"Ah, 10... 10 being the number of the house I never managed to live in... while I was an MP"
"Hello, banker... did you know I used to be a Cabinet member?"

Poor Michael! (former MP :lol:)

RMF1254

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:26 pm    Author: RMF1254    Post subject: Re: 24/02 Kitty

Cheers H. :smt023 :smt023

h2005 wrote:
Round 5 - proveout

Noel says a lot of people wouldn't have walked away from a board as strong as this.

Clearly Noel was deceived by those oranges too... :lol: :lol:

A board with £250k, £50k and nothing else above £5k is nowhere near the strongest in the world, and thus Kitty's deal was perfectly justifiable. ;)

Yes, she could have had double, but there you go. ;)

matthew17

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:28 pm    Author: matthew17    Post subject: Re: 24/02 Kitty

I would've probably dealt at 14k too tbh... the board was quite dangerous...

Well done to Kitty on her winnings anyway :)

Simon F

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:41 am    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 24/02 Kitty

As Noel said so perfectly said in his intro, the only predictable thing about the show is its unpredicitiblity. Lovely show but by the time we'd had a rather long introduction, it was quite obvious this was either going to be a relatively early deal or a trainwreck. Thankfully, it was the former and I can't argue with the deal.

Personally, I don't have a problem with her having a famous father (it's better than having a parent who was a former DOND contestant) - she obviously is used to going to auditions as herself and seemed the kind of person who wouldn't rely on having a famous parent to get on in life.

[ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]