Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:19 am Last visit was: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:19 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

h2005

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:54 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 16/02 Shaun - Love Week Specials
Administrator & Global Moderator

Warnings: 0
Noel says Shaun walked away from the 2nd best finish possible. He says the banker's good at what he does, as he has saved at least £55,000 by phoning back to taunt Shaun into dealing!

Banker's offer would've been:

£86,000

RMF1254

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:54 pm    Author: RMF1254    Post subject: Re: 16/02 Shaun - Love Week Specials

Oh no no no no no! Big mistake! :( :(

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:55 pm    Author: Mark    Post subject: Re: 16/02 Shaun - Love Week Specials

OH DEAR....YET again... should have been a LOT more brave.

Someone should have reminded him what he had yesterday, the £100k and the previous three games before that, being one of the power five. If someone did then more than likely he would have gone on.

Damn that banker for ringing up again!!!

Just a shame someone didn't remind him.

He had his chance... but blew it BIG BIG BIG TIME!

With 4 reds against 1 blue, always worth going on.

Last edited by Mark on Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

h2005

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:55 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 16/02 Shaun - Love Week Specials

Shaun has £75,000 in his box 1.

h2005

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:56 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 16/02 Shaun - Love Week Specials

Box 15 with Peter contains the £100,000

Noel says he knows Shaun has been missing his family, so he says hats off to him for achieving a great result.

paulyc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:56 pm    Author: paulyc    Post subject: Re: 16/02 Shaun - Love Week Specials

Ouch that was a bit rough. But is Noel correct? Surely 250k and 75k at the end is second best to 250k and 100k rather than 100k and 75K?

h2005

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:57 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 16/02 Shaun - Love Week Specials

paulyc wrote:
But is Noel correct? Surely 250k and 75k at the end is second best to 250k and 100k rather than 100k and 75K?

I was just about to post that!! In many ways, £50k and £250k or £35k and £250k are better than £75k vs £100k, as you're likely to get an offer of at least £100k on those finishes.

BankerSpanker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:58 pm    Author: BankerSpanker    Post subject: Re: 16/02 Shaun - Love Week Specials

He was going to go for it but then that Banker just HAD to ring back. Thanks for RUINING the game Banker! :evil: :smt011
I really wish the phone would be disconnected after an offer is made. That should not have been allowed! This was clearly Endemol trying to not give away £75K.

And £20,000 was a rubbish offer.

Fan of classic rock and metal

RMF1254

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:59 pm    Author: RMF1254    Post subject: Re: 16/02 Shaun - Love Week Specials

Mark wrote:
Someone should have reminded him what he had yesterday, the £100k and the previous three games before that, being one of the power five.

Just a shame someone didn't remind him.

When you think about it, though, it's not beyond possibility that the players could quite easily forget these sorts of things quickly - rather like Noel... 8)

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:00 pm    Author: Mark    Post subject: Re: 16/02 Shaun - Love Week Specials

Yeah, damn that banker. Should have kept to what he was going to do BEFORE the phone rang. The banker probably got to him a little bit.

RMF1254

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:05 pm    Author: RMF1254    Post subject: Re: 16/02 Shaun - Love Week Specials

BankerSpanker and Mark, I may not have been near the TV - but how can you guys be absolutely sure (and Noel too, for that matter) that Shaun was going to go for it?

Is it not possible that, even without the Banker ringing back, he would have dealt anyway? ;) 8)

Whatever, it was a terrible move... and the Banker will be crowing now...

norwichdonder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:13 pm    Author: norwichdonder    Post subject: Re: 16/02 Shaun - Love Week Specials

I thought he had a big one. Anyway - how many days since Dales game which was the last power 5 win...

BankerSpanker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:14 pm    Author: BankerSpanker    Post subject: Re: 16/02 Shaun - Love Week Specials

RMF: True. He may have just said that to surprise everyone.

I thought the Banker would offer Ol' Faithful (£26K) at 5-box. It was a perfect board for that.

Fan of classic rock and metal

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:16 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 16/02 Shaun - Love Week Specials

I think it's meant in the sense without the £250,000 in play it's the next best finish...

But bloody hell you don't get more unlucky than that!

With £15,000 to back the two big ones up, £20,000 seemed about right (as well as having just found the same amount in the previous box)...but with £5,000 also in there too with just one blue it was on the stingy side...I'd have expected anything between £20,000 and £26,000 if I'm honest...

But still, really bad luck!

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

killersbee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:15 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 16/02 Shaun - Love Week Specials

If that jackpot stayed by around 5-box, I'm pretty sure Shaun would've gone for it or deal at a much higher offer

Skyline

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:35 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: 16/02 Shaun - Love Week Specials
Forum Games Moderator

Well, you can't change the past...

You can always edit it on tele, though. ;)

KP

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:33 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 16/02 Shaun - Love Week Specials
International Forums Moderator

Chaos theory in action there as a marginal decision goes completely against the player. Still, better regrets and £20k than regrets and much less than that.

Personally I think dealing at £22k may have made more sense, but that is why you save the shield to round 6 - it's easy to be lured on to 5-box if you use it at 6, but then you still have the three-from-five round, and that time the Banker used that to his advantage as the player took a less generous offer in both absolute and relative terms than one he just declined.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:46 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 16/02 Shaun - Love Week Specials

That said though if you saved the Shield for the final round today, it'd have only worked if you opened the £5,000 box with it (assuming actual gameplay not actual Shield-allocated box) and at most it'd have been the Governor...so when you think about it that way, you could argue it was a third consecutive unavoidable OBW :|

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:46 pm    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 16/02 Shaun - Love Week Specials

Canny Banker.

Personally i think the loss of the £20k at that crucial stage, combined with the fact he had to go three boxes to get to the next offer led to Shaun dealing when he did, if he'd only hit one of the bottom two, maybe even the £15k he might have been a bit bolder but the £20k was something of a reality check. Plus of course the Banker, as is his right, made the risks clear.

Can't say i blame him really especially with a young baby at home, it's just a shame he didn't hit the £100k in proveout, might have sweetened the pill a little

Simon F

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:03 am    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 16/02 Shaun - Love Week Specials

I don't think there's any way you can say £100k/£75k is a better finish than £250k/£75k in my opinion.

Like KP, unless the board really dictates it, I think the shield ought to be really played at 4-box or 3-box and again using it at 6-box and then no-dealing does seem a waste as it didn't even create any momentum today.

Debatable if dealing at £20k was the right decision today. Personally, I think with it being just over half the mean, under the FD and with an 80% chance of at least 9k offer, it was probably worth the risk.

[ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]