Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:17 am Last visit was: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:17 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

nevadajo7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:29 pm    Author: nevadajo7    Post subject: Re: 30/01 Sherilyn

Warnings: 0
thank godness 4 that :oops:

KP

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:29 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 30/01 Sherilyn
International Forums Moderator

Strung along beautifully to make her mildly comfortable and THEN realise just how poor her Deal really was.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

bb67

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:30 pm    Author: bb67    Post subject: Re: 30/01 Sherilyn

Round 6

12 - Phoenix - £50,000

Noel says if Sherilyn has the £250,000 on the table it is the biggest banker victory of all time.

14 - Leanne - £250,000 :D

3 - Sophie - 10p

Banker time with £50 and £5,000 remaining

bb67

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:30 pm    Author: bb67    Post subject: Re: 30/01 Sherilyn

Banker's offer would've been:

£1,500

KP

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:31 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 30/01 Sherilyn

Was there a contestant call soon after these episodes were recorded? I think there was, and you can see why they'd want a new one after this game following so soon from Dale's.

In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

James1978

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:32 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 30/01 Sherilyn

I reckon 5-box would really have been mid-high teens (based on earlier generosities), and at least there's a blue on the table!! (I switched back on at the end) - she certainly seems really happy with what she's got so I can't be really nasty about it, but I bet that doesn't stop some people. :roll:

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

BankerSpanker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:32 pm    Author: BankerSpanker    Post subject: Re: 30/01 Sherilyn

I'd be interested to see what the viewing figures were for today's show. I bet hundreds of thousands of people switched off after that deal.
Yep, definitely the worst game of the year so far.

Fan of classic rock and metal

killersbee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:33 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 30/01 Sherilyn

Well, talk about having the biggest win of the month followed by a VERY cautious deal...that was played all wrong today

bb67

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:33 pm    Author: bb67    Post subject: Re: 30/01 Sherilyn

Sherilyn has £50 in her box 4

Box 22 with Shaun contains the £5,000

Sherilyn says £8,000 can go towards her kitchen and some other stuff. She thought because things have gone so bad that she feared going home with a blue and she is sorry if she dealt too early but it was right for her.

KP

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:33 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 30/01 Sherilyn

I'm just confused to be quite honest! At least she resisted any pressure to gamble I guess, taking £10k at eight-box after a contractually-semi-obliged ND at 11 would have been even more cowardly!

Simon F

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:35 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 30/01 Sherilyn

Well the proveout went in her favour in the end. I know I advocate people dealing sometimes when the deal is good for them but not the board but that was brilliant banker play today.

It's certainly been a week of contrasting games - none of them without their talking points.

BankerSpanker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:35 pm    Author: BankerSpanker    Post subject: Re: 30/01 Sherilyn

I can't believe Tomas said he'd have dealt at £8,000. :smt011

Fan of classic rock and metal

killersbee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:45 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 30/01 Sherilyn

Worse game of the month

rico7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:54 pm    Author: rico7    Post subject: Re: 30/01 Sherilyn

Clearly Sherilyn was determined to go away with a decent sum of money for her family which is understandable and even commendable, but the chances of the proveout working out for her were minimal, not much more than 5% at best.

I was wondering what the proveout offer would have been with 250K and a blue left. Is the banker's gamble conceivable? I think that might have given Sherilyn a genuinely difficult decision given her cautious gameplay.

bb67

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:57 pm    Author: bb67    Post subject: Re: 30/01 Sherilyn

Well that was quite a cool experience, my first commentary in the can. Hope that was ok for you guys. Thanks. :smt023

killersbee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:28 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 30/01 Sherilyn

Oh yeah, you did a good job, bb67 :)

Skyline

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:37 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: 30/01 Sherilyn
Forum Games Moderator

KP wrote:
The single worst decision in DoND history. If ever Noel had a case for being judgmental...

Wonder if the two wakeyteers watched that one... :o

James1978

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:43 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 30/01 Sherilyn

They probably spontaneously combusted. :-D

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

crazyeddie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:52 pm    Author: crazyeddie    Post subject: Re: 30/01 Sherilyn

Well, this isn't quite the most cautious deal of all time. There's £1k whatsisname who had 7 blues and £100k left, with an alleged proveout of £9k 3 boxes later; and someoneelse not taking a banker's gamble with a blue and £100k after dealing £9k.

I'm not exactly sure what the banker/producers were trying to prove in this game. They knew about Sherilyn's history, and that she was very likely in need of money, sounding as though she's had virtually no luxuries since her husband's accident. £8k clearly meant a lot to her, and had to go against the whole room to deal, which can be by itself very difficult.

They knew that they could get her on the cheap, and with a polarised board, especially so. She made the mistake of saying she would deal £10k (if she said she didn't want it, then there was a strong chance the offer would have increased to that), which in fairness is a tactic that has worked in the past. Due to their knowledge of her, though, they already had a reasonable idea of how much she was looking for.

It was quite impressive to see the banker being able to convince her to deal for £8k. But, you can imagine it's a bit underwhelming for me to watch, as this was far from an equal match. It's more impressive and convincing when he's up against someone who can play their cards well, where he doesn't have all the information on the player (who doesn't have to be a gambler, even). Why tame lions, when you can tame kittens. Right, Mr B? E x ;)

Edit: Oh, and remind me to jump 30 mins in to Tomas' game when he starts. Not meaning to be offensive, but, there's no incentive to watch beforehand. :?

Last edited by crazyeddie on Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

StatsMan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:04 am    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 30/01 Sherilyn

Oh dear, what a board to walk away from at such a low value, probably the worst deal ever - even Michael's £1k was a 1-box game, even if the offer he took was only 10% of the mean! Ok, so maybe not quite the worst deal ever, but not far off. I can't think of much else to say about this game, I suppose Sherilyn was a nice enough contestant, but yet again a player who has a flimsy grip on odds. Er, yeah... :shock:

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

[ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]