Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:27 am Last visit was: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:27 am

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

selv

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:10 pm    Author: selv    Post subject: Re: 23/01 Tony

Warnings: 0
Obviously I must have missed the rule"play with honesty" when it first came to light? but to play on after you have dealt and with the £250,000 still in play(as happened today) most people would want to get rid of it ,am I wrong or what?????

Simon F

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:22 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 23/01 Tony

kestral wrote:
That would have done so much says Tony. Noel does a big build up saying that 4 people this year have turned their backs on the £250,000 so far, and is Tony going to be the 5th.

Noel opens Tony's box 9 and reveals £100

Sobia, Ian and Jenna had £250k in their boxes. Noel's amnesia is getting worse (especially as all the January's shows before today's were filmed in a filming week).

Also, I noticed that technically there was never an official question asked by Noel to give back the £22,150 - I can't remember many people being given a Banker's Gamble at 5-box so would have been interesting to see whether they would have worded it as a Banker's gamble. I presume it was a genuine offer unlike the one at 7-box as they wouldn't surely have gone through the rigmarole of getting a sweep for a question that wasn't going to be offered.

KP

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:09 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 23/01 Tony
International Forums Moderator

Nobody's ever been offered a 5-box BG - it's one of the few twists I anticipated well before it happened. Thought it would come up after an 11-box Deal though tbh.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

norwichdonder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:45 pm    Author: norwichdonder    Post subject: Re: 23/01 Tony

Here is my take and Im taking a slightly harsher view on the player than some of the other replies. For this game I actually felt more on the side of the producers who must have been frustrated at giving him a second chance only to have it thrown back in their face.

I thought Tony was going to come across as another confident player claiming he would go to the end. Taking £22000 with 4 of the power five in play does not in my mind say someone is brave and he said he had personal reasons for taking it. Fair enough.

However he takes the 50p ( and asks to go back to live play which was quite rightly dismissed!). After he takes out the 75k and 100k we get the call again asking him if he wants to go to live play. Sure they weren't going to give him that option if he had taken the two blues at this stage, but its a game of risk and they aren't going to give him a power 5 for an easy ride. Going back into live play one box at a time with the 50k and 250k was quite generous to gamble against 22500 and I can understand the producer for being quite p****d off with him for dancing around for so long. I've met many timewasters in my life and Im sure the producer has too.

As somone during the game pointed out, nobody has ever won big money with no risk. I think the first 250k win was a 'clean' game but Alice was a contrived win after she went back to live play.

I'll say it again, many players would jump at the chance to go back to live play late in the game with the 250k + second power five. With the one box offer and no strings I was pretty happy that he was proved wrong at least losing out on the 37k which Im sure he would have taken and quit.

Profile E-mail  

beaker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:37 pm    Author: beaker    Post subject: Re: 23/01 Tony

Where do they get these players from? Come on people grow a pair! Dealing when at 8 box when you have the top 4 in play is crazy! The only downside is that he didn't have the £250k in his box!

Simon F

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:50 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 23/01 Tony

norwichdonder wrote:
I think the first 250k win was a 'clean' game but Alice was a contrived win after she went back to live play.

A £45k offer on a £3k/£250k final 2 wasn't clean - more a very obvious attempt to create the first QM winner.

killersbee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:24 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 23/01 Tony

beaker wrote:
Where do they get these players from? Come on people grow a pair! Dealing when at 8 box when you have the top 4 in play is crazy! The only downside is that he didn't have the £250k in his box!

My thoughts exactly, makes Corrine's game more tragic...

StatsMan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:42 pm    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 23/01 Tony

Well, it was a bit of a frustrating finale, not only dealing £22k-ish with 4 of the power 5 remaining, but refusing to go back into play on what I thought was a pretty generous one-to-open condition. A lot of players tend to base the decision to go back into play almost entirely on the fact 'they've already got the money' by dealing, rather than effectively treating what they have as an offer and playing it according to the board. To clarify, I'm fairly sure if he was offered £22k at that stage with one to open, he'd have gone on, but the fact he has the money seems to make a difference, which in that sense is an irrational line of thought.

It just astonishes me how few contestants have even a basic knowledge on the mathematic odds, but (and this is mere speculation) is this because the selection process is skewed towards reducing these types (and perhaps therefore minimising expected payout this way), or is it just that the majority of applicants are simply not odds-minded which is hard to believe in a game where that should frankly be a strong consideration for decisions, and for some of us on here provides one of the stimulating factors to watch...

Profile E-mail  

KP

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:52 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 23/01 Tony

That's the endowment effect, there. It is a known common irrationality in economic theory.

In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

MisterAl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:10 am    Author: MisterAl    Post subject: Re: 23/01 Tony

KP wrote:
Nobody's ever been offered a 5-box BG - it's one of the few twists I anticipated well before it happened.

I hope Sal from April 2010 didn't read that.

Profile E-mail  

Simon F

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:29 am    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 23/01 Tony

MisterAl wrote:
KP wrote:
Nobody's ever been offered a 5-box BG - it's one of the few twists I anticipated well before it happened.

I hope Sal from April 2010 didn't read that.

It depends on your definition of Banker's Gamble. To me, it needs to involve a deal and then boxes being opened before the BG is offered. Sal's offer was more of a temptation to no deal after she'd dealt - to me that's not a BG.

KP

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:39 am    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 23/01 Tony

Another twist I am proud to have forgotten there, Guru!

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:40 am    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 23/01 Tony

I may not fully agree with Tony's deal but given his situation and his history i can well understand why he did it.

And the irony is of course that if Noel hadn't called him on it he wold have taken out the £250k straight off the bat (I'm actually a little surprised that no conspiracy theories have sprung up around that yet)

MisterAl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:44 am    Author: MisterAl    Post subject: Re: 23/01 Tony

Interestingly, Sal's offer last April was actually called a Banker's Gamble though. As far as I can tell, Tony today was never actually offered the chance to go back into live play -- the question he was asked was what would he do IF he were offered the chance to change his mind. If Tony would have said he would like to change his mind, I'd fully have expected the Banker to say 'hard cheese' for a second time. (The extra hypothetical offers during the final round seemed to me to be an on-the-fly decision from the producers to try and pad the game out a bit to fill up the hour.)

Of course, Simon, since you had pride of place in the second row of the audience, you may be able to recall whether the 'change your mind' offer today was explicitly made or not. If it was explicitly made, then unless I'm mistaken I don't think it made the edit.

Profile E-mail  

Simon F

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:41 am    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 23/01 Tony

MisterAl wrote:
Interestingly, Sal's offer last April was actually called a Banker's Gamble though. As far as I can tell, Tony today was never actually offered the chance to go back into live play -- the question he was asked was what would he do IF he were offered the chance to change his mind. If Tony would have said he would like to change his mind, I'd fully have expected the Banker to say 'hard cheese' for a second time. (The extra hypothetical offers during the final round seemed to me to be an on-the-fly decision from the producers to try and pad the game out a bit to fill up the hour.)

Of course, Simon, since you had pride of place in the second row of the audience, you may be able to recall whether the 'change your mind' offer today was explicitly made or not. If it was explicitly made, then unless I'm mistaken I don't think it made the edit.

To my recollection I don't think it was (but then I'd forgotten I was sat in the second row today so don't hold me to that). I also have a feeling the banker tried to put emotional pressure on Tony using the picture of his 2 sons on the desk but again, can't be certain (I really must make notes on my way home next time).

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:04 am    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject: Re: 23/01 Tony

It seems there was another slight cock-up in the graphics department.

If I was Tony i'd get on the phone and ask for that extra £100 he apparently dealt at.

Is it just me or do there seem to more slip-ups like that now in the graphics department? :ponder:

Profile E-mail  
 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]