Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:28 am Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:28 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Simon F

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:54 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 19/01 Jenna

Warnings: 0
travis P wrote:
Simon F wrote:
Also, after what the banker implied on Twitter last night about yesterday's twist being a one-off, seeing the small boxes still in the pound table doesn't exactly fill me with confidence. I'd be tempted if I were a player to take a leaf out of someone's book and had a nosy inside all the doors from now on.

I see all the six boxes were re-sealed... I suspect you'll find those, a box of tissues and thats it.

The Banker had the cheek to say Double or Nothing was his idea but it wasn't. Some Aussie Banker called Walter P Smyth invented that twist five years ago.

No lucky hats any more?

RMF1254

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:10 pm    Author: RMF1254    Post subject: Re: 19/01 Jenna

Have to admit, I knew she'd take that £24k when I looked at the clock just beforehand...

The show may be longer, but you can still predict deals going by how much time there is left.

Obviously, yesterday was an exception... :twisted:

kestral wrote:
Noel asks how £20,000 feel, then £21,000, then £22,000, then £23,000

Banker's offer:

£24,000

Once again Noel demonstrates his love of playing around with the offers. :roll:

I'm probably being a bit hard on him here, but I bet if someone came up to him and said "I wish you wouldn't do that, I don't find it entertaining at all" he'd say something to that person along the lines of "bu***r off"...

norwichdonder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:28 pm    Author: norwichdonder    Post subject: Re: 19/01 Jenna

Simon F wrote:
There's one thing being a unbiased host but to swing from encouraging a no-deal to perhaps psychologically encouraging a deal is almost as bad.

Well put and thats something I overlooked in the heat of the moment earlier. You have to say Noel cries out for a 250k win, then uses this fake offer trick (which I'm sure I've seen him use before) to talk up a deal. As you said, if he'd taken the approach of coming straight out with 24k and *then* talking up the 100k and 250k who knows if she would have dealt.

I wonder if players in her situation have more regrets about missing out on the big money than those who go home with a blue? Id probably mull it over regularly!

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:57 pm    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 19/01 Jenna

Personally i don't blame Jenna at all for taking the £24,000 given that she had as much chance of winning £1 as she did the £250,000. People talk about the mean based on the total value of the boxes in play but at 5 box the mean can also be seen as the 'pivot' or middle amount on the board, in this case £20k and the truth is that you have as much chance of taking out the two boxes above the mean as the two below.

Yes there was plenty of incentive to go on but I see no shame in calling it a day at that point either. Maybe i just have a more pragmatic approach to the game than most people.

StatsMan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:09 am    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 19/01 Jenna

Simon F wrote:
travis P wrote:
Simon F wrote:
Also, after what the banker implied on Twitter last night about yesterday's twist being a one-off, seeing the small boxes still in the pound table doesn't exactly fill me with confidence. I'd be tempted if I were a player to take a leaf out of someone's book and had a nosy inside all the doors from now on.

I see all the six boxes were re-sealed... I suspect you'll find those, a box of tissues and thats it.

The Banker had the cheek to say Double or Nothing was his idea but it wasn't. Some Aussie Banker called Walter P Smyth invented that twist five years ago.

No lucky hats any more?

...or Eyeballs, Witches Noses or Handcuffs! :lol: (I kid you not, that's what the warm-up guy found in the cupboards once! There used to be some furniture polish in there as well, if I recall correctly... :ponder:)

Anyway, the day after the shameful promotion of gambling comes a game with the perfect finish which is hardly going to dampen the advertisement. It was weird that Noel quoted the average at 8-box but not 5-box where the offer was much worse in relation to it, and this 'teasing-up' of the offer often makes it appear more generous to the unmathematical contestants than it actually is, it encourages a deal more than a no deal generally I think.

Frustrating as a jackpot win was most certainly attainable today.

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

beaker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:44 am    Author: beaker    Post subject: Re: 19/01 Jenna

Moxx of Balhoom wrote:
Personally i don't blame Jenna at all for taking the £24,000 given that she had as much chance of winning £1 as she did the £250,000. People talk about the mean based on the total value of the boxes in play but at 5 box the mean can also be seen as the 'pivot' or middle amount on the board, in this case £20k and the truth is that you have as much chance of taking out the two boxes above the mean as the two below.

Yes there was plenty of incentive to go on but I see no shame in calling it a day at that point either. Maybe i just have a more pragmatic approach to the game than most people.

Unbelievably poor deal for me, not quite in Richard territory but poor just the same. As soon as Noel said, how do you feel about £20k you knew that wasn't the offer.

What a shame 'cocky' Scott didn't have those boxes, kind of makes me think they know full well who is highly likely to plsybto the end and who is not as the wussies always seem to have big numbers and the brave players tiddlers, the odd exception but pattern definitely emerging!

Why she dealt at £24k, only she knows - a poor offer at that point with what was left but C4 saved some bunce so well
Played them I guess. Personally I had expected £26k to be offered bit even that would have been ridiculously low but she was never going to go on after she ummed and ared over 14k.

Simon F

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:45 am    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 19/01 Jenna

norwichdonder wrote:
Simon F wrote:
There's one thing being a unbiased host but to swing from encouraging a no-deal to perhaps psychologically encouraging a deal is almost as bad.

Well put and thats something I overlooked in the heat of the moment earlier. You have to say Noel cries out for a 250k win, then uses this fake offer trick (which I'm sure I've seen him use before) to talk up a deal. As you said, if he'd taken the approach of coming straight out with 24k and *then* talking up the 100k and 250k who knows if she would have dealt.

I wonder if players in her situation have more regrets about missing out on the big money than those who go home with a blue? Id probably mull it over regularly!

To be honest, it shouldn't be Noel's job to point out the mathematical generosity of an offer ( or at least if he is going to do it, it should be something done permanently). If there's a half-decent mathematician on the wings, fair enough.

KP

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:48 am    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 19/01 Jenna
International Forums Moderator

Absolutely agreed. It's not Noel's job, and he didn't even cover the intentions for doing that job. It was a naked attempt to force the player on, and you almost wonder if the trick at five-box was out of a sudden regret that this had happened...

Two games with £44k given away and almost the entire fandom is upset at both games. That's a spectacularly incompetent way to make a daytime game show that's meant to be facing budget cuts, frankly.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

h2005

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:55 am    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 19/01 Jenna
Administrator & Global Moderator

StatsMan wrote:
Simon F wrote:
travis P wrote:
Simon F wrote:

No lucky hats any more?

...or Eyeballs, Witches Noses or Handcuffs! :lol: (I kid you not, that's what the warm-up guy found in the cupboards once! There used to be some furniture polish in there as well, if I recall correctly... :ponder:)

As someone who has done an itinerary of that cupboard, I can confirm it has the following (as of my show, first aired 23rd March 2009):

• Furniture polish
  • Football referee cards
  • Witch's nose
  • Lucky slippers
  • Lucky hat
  • Calculator
  • Name badge reading "GEOFF THE BANKER" (or something like that)
  • 4 gangway electrical extension socket
  • Some other wires
  • Dust
  • Tissues

:lol: :smt023

TonyLondonSuburbs

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:39 am    Author: TonyLondonSuburbs    Post subject: Re: 19/01 Jenna

James1978 wrote:
I really don't get how some people can take being cautious as being disgusting/disgraceful or whatever stupid descriptions some people come up with. Yes, she was cautious admittedly. Yes, she could just have likely ended up with an all-blue finish as the one that did happen. Doesn't mean she's a bad person if she doesn't want to risk £24k for the chance of win £250k or £100k or next to nothing!!!

She was a lovely girl but it is INCREDIBLY irritating when someone is given a "once-in-a-lifetime" opportunity and spurns it.

The Mum even said a "one-off" chance to get £14,000 ! .... ignoring that the whole experience is a one-off chance to completely change your life!

Why do soooo many cautious players get great hands and really brave players get bad luck?

The annoying thing is that so many contestants have no idea whatsoever of value or odds or probability. Even, for example, when you have 4 boxes left you still have only a "1-in-6" chance of pulling out both the largest two so have a "5-in-6" chance or 83% chance of retaining either or both the Big 2 boxes.

KP

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:12 am    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 19/01 Jenna
International Forums Moderator

You know what, Tony? You're right, and so is she. Weird, eh? Basically, each game is a one-off opportunity to win a lot of money, either from the box contents or the sale thereof. Each offer has the potential to be the only chance to win that much, yet playing on offers potentially brings further rewards. The crucial thing here is that the game being a one-off is actually a validation for risk-aversion as one is unable to recoup losses by having another go, as one might on a fruit machine...

You are right that players tend to be naive about probability, but even that has sometimes caused naive, questionable gambles...

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

JS Boy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:59 pm    Author: JS Boy    Post subject: Re: 19/01 Jenna

James1978 wrote:
I really don't get how some people can take being cautious as being disgusting/disgraceful or whatever stupid descriptions some people come up with. Yes, she was cautious admittedly. Yes, she could just have likely ended up with an all-blue finish as the one that did happen. Doesn't mean she's a bad person if she doesn't want to risk £24k for the chance of win £250k or £100k or next to nothing!!!

I agree. Out of interest, I would like to ask, perhaps a rather personal question I know, but those of you that vilify cautious deals - are you what might be considered "well-off"?

[ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]