Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:22 am Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:22 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

KP

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:06 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 18/01 Tracey
International Forums Moderator

Warnings: 0
travis P wrote:
LOL at Noel saying "this is and it has always been the honest game on television" then couldn't open the final box. :smt046

I hear new music when the boxes were being opened. Looks like Double of Nothing is here to stay. So we now had Second Chance (Banker's Gamble) and Double or Nothing but when are we going to have Superbox??? ;)

Actually, that could make a useful element to a themed week in theory...

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

travis P

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:07 pm    Author: travis P    Post subject: Re: 18/01 Tracey

RMF1254 wrote:
I'm sorry to say this... but even though she doubled her money I just did not like that twist.

Yes, it was something new but there was so much about it that was just plain wrong. Especially the Banker making it clear as crystal that he wanted her to gamble... a bit childish if you ask me.

Also it felt horribly predictable that she'd find two nothings before she found the double...

When the Aussie's invented Double or Nothing back in 2006 the original twist had the contestant (if they wanted to) risked either some or all their final winnings. Not many decided to risk all their winnings back then. Then over the years have passed (and an idea from the US to make it the player gamble everything), the twist was changed to literally walk or risk all your winnings.

I will say that when they did Double or Nothing they didn't have to choose from three different pairs.

travis P

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:09 pm    Author: travis P    Post subject: Re: 18/01 Tracey

Now I know why The Banker on Twitter actually advised people to watch today's game.

h2005

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:12 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 18/01 Tracey
Administrator & Global Moderator

KP wrote:
Well that was convenient for it to happen third...

Didn't Noel just choose the pairs in the order he got them out of the cupboard? I can't actually remember...

Anyway, he said no-one had ever had a "double or nothing" twist (and he said that before all the other boxes appeared, so he was talking about "double or nothing" rather than "double triple quadruple or a little bit or nothing"). Didn't Kerry/Kelly get it and win about £10k/£15k from it? I remember her game being repeated in Noel's hall of fame, and I'm sure her face is in the new opening credits!

norwichdonder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:13 pm    Author: norwichdonder    Post subject: Re: 18/01 Tracey

KP wrote:
travis P wrote:
So we now had Second Chance (Banker's Gamble) and Double or Nothing but when are we going to have Superbox??? ;)

whats a superbox? something that x2 or x4 winnings?
Also funny that they haven't taken on the hardware prizes vs values. Don't they have a car in one of the 22 boxes on one of the other overseas shows?

mallard2007

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:15 pm    Author: mallard2007    Post subject: Re: 18/01 Tracey

KP wrote:
Turned on, heard Noel refer to an eight-box Deal in exactly the same way he used to refer to 11-box Deals, turned off again. Relying on the commentary now!

I've noticed that too, he used to immediately call an early break and act dramatically when someone dealt the 3rd offer, now he does that when they deal the 4th. Wonder what happens now if someone deals the 3rd!

Today's twist seemed a bit desperate and just an attempt to fill the extra 15 mins at the end of the show. When the final boxes are opened, Noel used to say that officially ends the game. So there shouldn't really be any twists etc after all the boxes are opened.

Also I wonder how many casual viewers switched off/over after the final boxes were opened, without paying attention to the time, and missed the twist altogether. :ponder:

travis P

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:16 pm    Author: travis P    Post subject: Re: 18/01 Tracey

norwichdonder wrote:
KP wrote:
travis P wrote:
So we now had Second Chance (Banker's Gamble) and Double or Nothing but when are we going to have Superbox??? ;)

whats a superbox? something that x2 or x4 winnings?
Also funny that they haven't taken on the hardware prizes vs values. Don't they have a car in one of the 22 boxes on one of the other overseas shows?

The Aussie version have a car in one of the 26 cases.

As for Superbox, it's called Supercase in Australia. thus.

Quote:
Occasionally at the end of the program a Supercase is brought out. This feature was introduced in 2004. Contestants have the opportunity to either keep the deal they made or take whatever value is hidden in the Supercase. The supercase contains one of the following values: 50c, $50, $500, $5,000, $10,000, $20,000, $30,000, $50,000. Supercases appear in most episodes when contestants take a deal of approximately $10,000 when there are at least five cases left on the board, and rarely appear in any other circumstances. This means that the Supercase offers a 50/50 chance at bettering or equalling the $10,000 deal. If contestants take a $10,000 deal with fewer than four cases left on the board, Supercases are rare because there is not generally time left in the show to run it. During the 2006 season, the way of telling the contestant that a Supercase will be brought out changed, where instead of the Supercase panel flashing, a Supercase alert flashes beside the 'Cases remaining' panel, and remains there until it is actually brought out. In 2010 the Supercase has been introduced more frequently.

killersbee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:21 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 18/01 Tracey

Well, what a game with as many twists as the show could fit in

Unlike the others, I'm glad she managed to win £20k and that makes it an OPW! :)

RMF1254

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:38 pm    Author: RMF1254    Post subject: Re: 18/01 Tracey

travis P wrote:
Quote:
Occasionally at the end of the program a Supercase is brought out. This feature was introduced in 2004. Contestants have the opportunity to either keep the deal they made or take whatever value is hidden in the Supercase. The supercase contains one of the following values: 50c, $50, $500, $5,000, $10,000, $20,000, $30,000, $50,000. Supercases appear in most episodes when contestants take a deal of approximately $10,000 when there are at least five cases left on the board, and rarely appear in any other circumstances. This means that the Supercase offers a 50/50 chance at bettering or equalling the $10,000 deal. If contestants take a $10,000 deal with fewer than four cases left on the board, Supercases are rare because there is not generally time left in the show to run it. During the 2006 season, the way of telling the contestant that a Supercase will be brought out changed, where instead of the Supercase panel flashing, a Supercase alert flashes beside the 'Cases remaining' panel, and remains there until it is actually brought out. In 2010 the Supercase has been introduced more frequently.

I'll bet that's off the Encyclopedia of Wikis...

James1978

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:47 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 18/01 Tracey

Seems like I picked a good time to stop regular watching (it was more or less forced on me anyway with there being no More 4 repeat any more) if they're doing artifical rubbish like this!!! That sounded just like Kath's game last Easter which I absolutely hated but this was worse as they kept pushing it till they made her gamble. :evil:

And yes I'm saying that even though it was the right thing to do!

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

RMF1254

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:47 pm    Author: RMF1254    Post subject: Re: 18/01 Tracey

h2005 wrote:
Anyway, he said no-one had ever had a "double or nothing" twist (and he said that before all the other boxes appeared, so he was talking about "double or nothing" rather than "double triple quadruple or a little bit or nothing"). Didn't Kerry/Kelly get it and win about £10k/£15k from it? I remember her game being repeated in Noel's hall of fame, and I'm sure her face is in the new opening credits!

I guess that's Selective Memory Incident #24,003 or something like that... :lol:

matt26

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:52 pm    Author: matt26    Post subject: Re: 18/01 Tracey

h2005 wrote:
KP wrote:
Well that was convenient for it to happen third...

Didn't Noel just choose the pairs in the order he got them out of the cupboard? I can't actually remember...

Well, we all know there have been lots of 'something considerably more than what you won/otherwise would win or nothing' twists... In the case of Kerry, she'd already dealt £900, was left with a blue and £15,000, and was offered the chance to open her box, but if it was the blue she won nothing. So in that case it was effectively the Banker's Gamble with the lower amount replaced by £0...

travis P

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:04 pm    Author: travis P    Post subject: Re: 18/01 Tracey

RMF1254 wrote:
I'll bet that's off the Encyclopedia of Wikis...

Yep, too lazy to go into detail :P

I won't be surprised as they'll replace the 50c with 1p and $30K with £35K, the other amounts will stay the same.

StatsMan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:57 pm    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 18/01 Tracey

RMF1254 wrote:
h2005 wrote:

I guess that's Selective Memory Incident #24,003 or something like that... :lol:

Yes, I saw Kerry's game live - although it was a ludicrously generous gamble of more than 15 to 1 on the £900 she dealt at, there was a lot of tension in the studio as she was getting really emotional about it all, and the thought of going home with nothing was terrifying to her, and the pilgrims all became quite anxious for her, it really was pure theatre!

But today just didn't work that way at all, so overtly persuasive from the banker - if they don't take the initial 'special' gamble, that should be the end of the matter (in fact, the game should be the end of the matter really...).

It was just presented in far too deliberate a way today, they're not even bothering to disguise their promotion of gambling any more, goading the player, "go on, go on, go for it" until they crack from their true intentions. Whether it was good odds or not is besides the point, Tracey was close to going home with nothing from a decision she was practically bullied into taking, and because it paid off young impressionable children watching especially will believe that gambling is something to be encouraged. The producers are treading a thin line with this twist, ill judged at best and dare we say irresponsible at worst...

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:11 am    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 18/01 Tracey

Glad i'm not the only one who felt uncomfortable with that final twist and the pressure that was heaped on Tracey to take it. Having said that, I'm glad that it worked out for her and it's clear that £20k will make a huge difference to her life, so i'm going to give the producers the benefit of the doubt and assume they did it with honourable intentions

Personally i think having decided to go with box 2 for the first pair she should have stuck with the same number for all 3 boxes, not least because it would have confounded the conspiracy theorists :-D

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:27 am    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject: Re: 18/01 Tracey

Well after The Banker hinting on Twitter for the last day about today's show worth tuning into I was wondering what was going to happen. I actually thought that we might be getting our 3rd £250,000 winner, but alas it wasn't that.

I wasn't expecting the Double or Nothing twist, but I knew something must happen near the end for The Banker to comment on it. Because other than the twist at the end there wasn't anything spectacular about the game before that.

Regardless of whether the Double or Nothing is a good twist (and I did wonder just how many boxes were in that cupboard. Were there more?). It at least worked out for Tracey, which was good.

According to The Banker's Twitter it was a one off, but i'm sure we'll see it again at some point.

Simon F

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:19 am    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 18/01 Tracey

I tend to read the commentary as I watch games on 4OD and when I saw 5 pages, I assumed that when she dealt she was going to have the £250k in her box. :smt046

Horrible, horrible twist but given there were 3 sets of boxes in the table, it must have been one they were planning on doing for this type of game.

Might be tempted to turn over now if the 22-box game is going to end with 10 minutes left in the show to be honest.

KP

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:06 am    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 18/01 Tracey
International Forums Moderator

StatsMan wrote:
It was just presented in far too deliberate a way today, they're not even bothering to disguise their promotion of gambling any more, goading the player, "go on, go on, go for it" until they crack from their true intentions. Whether it was good odds or not is besides the point, Tracey was close to going home with nothing from a decision she was practically bullied into taking, and because it paid off young impressionable children watching especially will believe that gambling is something to be encouraged. The producers are treading a thin line with this twist, ill judged at best and dare we say irresponsible at worst...

Apparently my influence has been felt... :roll:

In television, a show that takes an irrecoverable turn for the absurd (in a bad way) is known as having 'jumped the shark', a reference to a character on one show actually literally jumping a shark on water-skis. It's a subjective judgment, and the show can be popular and likable after it, but this will definitely be a shark-jump moment for many.

I love the assumption Simon made though :D

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

cfd

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:02 pm    Author: cfd    Post subject: Re: 18/01 Tracey

That does seem to be to be the sort of twist we can do without.

I didn't actually watch the show, but reading as the extra boxes came out to coerce her into the gamble was just cringeworthy.

I imagine she was happy with her £10k. Just leave her with it.

If they want to change it up a bit there's plenty of other things they can do to spice the game up. I think I suggested a while back adding £2k/£7.5k/£25k at the expense of the lowest blues (except 1p). That'd give more stable boards and make it easier for players to go towards the end - something they obviously seem to encourage. And although i'm not sure it's a good idea i'd make one box at a time in the final round a standard feature too - that'd help drag it out, and also encourage people to go to the end knowing they get this chance.

Build the extended gameplay into the actual game. Don't force gimmicks onto it like this. Makes you wonder why they bothered with the previous 55 minutes if you're just gonna coinflipx3 the result of it.

cfd

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:09 pm    Author: cfd    Post subject: Re: 18/01 Tracey

On the back of that... the reason I imagine they haven't done the two things I suggested above is that it'll increase the average payout, and given the current climate that might not be ideal. That said, they were practically begging for the chance to give away an extra £10,000 today so who knows...

[ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]