Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:19 am Last visit was: Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:19 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

h2005

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:43 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 13/01 Scott
Administrator & Global Moderator

Warnings: 0
The banker says that was very lucky.

Banker's offer:

£20,000

h2005

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:47 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 13/01 Scott

Noel says that offer is quite a result, and Scott says it's a lot of money. Scott's friend says it's too much to lose, but Scott wonders how long luck can last. Dave says this is the crucial point of the game, and it could turn either way from here. Irene says she can tell he wants to go on.

The banker phones and says he knows he can't change Scott's mind, but he says the board is quite similar to yesterday's, and how it crashed afterwards. Scott's friend says this is an unforgiving game and Scott has already been forgiven once! Scott says he thinks he's destined to win more though.

Scott says

NO DEAL

h2005

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:50 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 13/01 Scott

Round 6

Noel wonders if Scott's cockiness will pay off, or whether it'll be a cock-up!

20 - Karl - £15,000

That doesn't tell us a thing, says Noel.

10 - Beryl - £75,000

7 - Andy - £35,000

Banker time with 50p and £100 remaining

h2005

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:51 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 13/01 Scott

The banker cheers wildly down the phone and holds a party as he beat the cocky boy!

Banker's offer:

£20

h2005

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:52 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 13/01 Scott

Scott says he's always said he wanted to play the game, and he thought this was his chance.

Scott says

NO DEAL

h2005

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:52 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 13/01 Scott

Scott wins 50p from his box 18

Box 16 with newbie Sophie contains the £100

sorlag

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:02 pm    Author: sorlag    Post subject: Re: 13/01 Scott

yet another of the braver contestants gets terrible luck. so frustrating after all those timid players with big numbers in their boxes.

killersbee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:54 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 13/01 Scott

Were going to end up Season 6 with more blue wins than red wins at this rate!

norwichdonder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:13 pm    Author: norwichdonder    Post subject: Re: 13/01 Scott

seemed a very lickable person and showed the bravery that Noel was asking for. I don't think he came across as cocky although that was a handy retort for the banker - who we heard a few words from :o

h2005

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:29 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 13/01 Scott

norwichdonder wrote:
seemed a very lickable person

Is that a typo, or do you just think people would be very willing to lick him? :P :P

RMF1254

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:50 pm    Author: RMF1254    Post subject: Re: 13/01 Scott

The moanies on Digital Spy are saying that Scott wasn't one of Noel's favourite contestants... and that he was a bit like 1p Matty. :?

Make of these what you will...

greeny

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:30 pm    Author: greeny    Post subject: Re: 13/01 Scott

h2005 wrote:
norwichdonder wrote:

Is that a typo, or do you just think people would be very willing to lick him? :P :P

I'm sure Mia would be willing!

I liked Scott - seems a nice bloke, though it was weird to hear them talk about the Aussie version of the show. Didn't have luck on his side sadly, but I personally thought he took it not too badly.

KP

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:42 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 13/01 Scott
International Forums Moderator

Well he definitely played it like an Aussie! For me, the £20k ND was a questionable judgment, but not as questionable as Shane Watson's calls between the wickets, or the selectors picking Doherty and Beer over Hauritz!!! :D :-D ;)

That sort of play opens up the big wins and the big losses. We had the big loss today. At least it ought to shut Noel up for a bit. Though not Digital Spy... why would Noel dislike him when he turned down such good offers?!? ;)

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

travis P

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:28 pm    Author: travis P    Post subject: Re: 13/01 Scott

KP wrote:
Well he definitely played it like an Aussie! For me, the £20k ND was a questionable judgment, but not as questionable as Shane Watson's calls between the wickets, or the selectors picking Doherty and Beer over Hauritz!!! :D :-D ;)

I wonder if Scott did ask The Banker if he could open one box at a time at 5-box, since he would know that on Aussie Deal they can open one case at a time from six cases remaining. Then again if most games do crash over there (like with today), Walter would wheel out the $10,000 Megaguess. No love loss here.

norwichdonder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:34 pm    Author: norwichdonder    Post subject: Re: 13/01 Scott

h2005 wrote:
norwichdonder wrote:

a typo of course ;)

StatsMan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:41 pm    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 13/01 Scott

Well, I've finally caught up with the week's editions after being at the Dream Factory earlier on in the week - a bit like Double Deal week for me, as I'll have seen 12 shows come Sunday... :shock: (Yes, I am ever so slightly mad... :roll: )

Anyway, that was a brave gamble to take from Scott today, it was about 80% of the mean and if you regard any finish 15k-high as a disaster from that position, it was a 30% chance of disaster. Add to that any finish involving £35k and a blue leaving a 'chase losses' situation, and blue/75k not guaranteed to be higher, and it starts to become a questionable decision.

However, it was not as foolish as John G (rejected £5k more on an arguably weaker board), but not one I'd have taken, possibly if one of the blues was replaced by £5k though (then you're definitely getting more on £5k/£75k and only slightly less with £5k/£35k).

Not been a great week has it?

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:49 am    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 13/01 Scott

I'm not going to criticise Scott for no dealing £20k, he played the game how he wanted to play it and that's all you can ask of any contestant, but i had a gut feeling £20k was going to be the peak of the game.

All in all a good entertaining game,laced with humour and culminating in a brave No deal that sadly didn't pan out

Simon F

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:21 am    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 13/01 Scott

It's been a while since we had a big decision in the game go wrong and today it did so in spectacular fashion. Very similar to yesterday's game, all blue round from 8-box to 5-box (although with 5 blues today - this was slightly more likely) and then the 10% all red-round.

For me, I was expecting around £18k at 5-box and my initial reaction to the £20k offer was that it was a pretty easy deal but I get the feeling Scott was the type of player who probably would have chased the £35k or £15k with a blue remaining so I can't say it was a total self-inflicted trainwreck but not to end up with a chance to take at worst the all or nothing gamble at the end was very unlucky.

James1978

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:37 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 13/01 Scott

I only flicked through this on 4OD but I didn't understand how anyone might have thought he was cocky - sure he seemed confident and gave an indication that it was always his intention to play to the end, but he seemed to be totally respectful of the money offered to him. The £20k no-deal definitely seemed to be more of a gamble worth taking if you were committed to opening your box, rather than intending to deal at 2-box as he seemed to be too. He was obviously disappointed at the outcome but not full of regrets like some people who felt they've been roped into going on seem to be after a simialr no-deal gone wrong.

Just typical that someone who does go for it ends up with that happening though.

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

KP

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:57 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 13/01 Scott
International Forums Moderator

He was more risk-oblivious than anything - often that ties with being cocky, but not always!

It's a bit more difficult to disentangle the two when risk-obliviousness gets praised so much on the show though - makes it very easy for such a player to say they are "playing the game properly" when the host implicitly (and lately, not very implicitly!) says the same thing!!

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

[ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]