Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:43 am Last visit was: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:43 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

kestral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:54 pm    Author: kestral    Post subject: Re: 07/01 Julie
Site Owner, Administrator & Global Moderator

Warnings: 0
Noel opens Julie's box 20 and reveals £750

kestral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:54 pm    Author: kestral    Post subject: Re: 07/01 Julie
Site Owner, Administrator & Global Moderator

Andy with box 12 contains the 1p

Julie says she will be buying her daughter a few things, and also doing her drive, but Noel asks about putting money aside for her teeth! :P

killersbee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:15 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 07/01 Julie

For that game, the deal point was at 5-box, not 8-box. This is what happens when you let the cautious side get the better of you

RMF1254

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:22 pm    Author: RMF1254    Post subject: Re: 07/01 Julie

kestral wrote:
You said you would do exactly that says Noel, that is just going to make this so painful. Noel tells the Banker he has to be honest here as he said the offer wouldn't have gone up much with 3 blues going.

Banker's offer would've been:

£22,000

Didn't Noel realise that more than likely the Banker wasn't being honest there? :?

Hope Jules doesn't mind me saying this - but if she had still been in live play I reckon it would have been more like £16,500. He does tend to offer that in situations that are fairly good (but not quite as good as the ones where he offers the amount £9,500 greater), like the one here.

Jules101

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:03 pm    Author: Jules101    Post subject: Re: 07/01 Julie

I went with the idea i would go on as long as i had 3 above the offer, even though when i dealt i honestly regretted it
straight away and it took me a while to decide, even then untill the word came out of my mouth i could have said no deal :lol:

I knew a blue was due (ish) and i knew my past 5/6 boxes were reds, the past 6 on the table were weds all this combined i (and i wasn't going off anything other than a gut feeling so shoot me ;-) ) thought i would have a blue in my box.
I dealt, i should have went 1 more round but the rick to me was not worth it.

Ha ha anyway it is better than £750 xxx

Last edited by Jules101 on Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

KP

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:07 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 07/01 Julie
International Forums Moderator

Better regrets and £11,000 than regrets and a blue, eh? And I reckon you might have got caught chasing the game after a poor five-box offer given what the Banker was saying, so ignoring that fairly blatant attempt to drag you on, you actually made the right decision!

On a board like that, nobody can be shocked at an eight-box Deal, as both player and Banker have every right to be nervous, and a Deal can more readily be mutually agreed as neither particularly wants the game to go on...!

At least nobody talked you into playing on, I really worried that you had been!!!

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Jules101

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:13 pm    Author: Jules101    Post subject: Re: 07/01 Julie

Nobody could.
I asked for advice to involve others in the show but i know my own mind. Scatty and i talk much to fast lol but i did keep my calm (inside lol) and nobody could have talked me into doing something i didn't want to do. I did want to go on though and had i not had my daughter i probably would have went 1 more round, but who's to say i wouldn't have picked claires box then ?

Im a happy bunny xxx

edited to correct my stupid spelling, trying to type as fast as i talk lol

KP

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:22 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 07/01 Julie

Jules101 wrote:
Im a happy bunny xxx

It always strikes me that people who Deal too soon, even if they have regrets, almost always remain relatively happy with their result, as you did.

I don't think the same is true of people who go all the way to win a blue, especially if they've rejected sizable offers.

Yet Noel very often implies the exact reverse. Very odd, and he really shouldn't pretend to effectively speak on behalf of the contestants, because he absolutely does not.

One player a couple of years ago had a game that looked incredibly strong - his five-box was in some respects better than Sobia's - end with a 50p win. Though it wasn't clear on camera, a contestant who had just entered the hotel at that time (statman Dan) reported later on the forum that he took it horrendously backstage. The players were very much influenced by that, and having seen the consequences of failure so vividly, hardly any of them were prepared to take big risks, and the result was the longest run of red wins since the very first weeks of the show, broken only by a completely unavoidable crash.

Conversely after Laura won the jackpot, about 75% of contestants in the rest of the month turned down at least one offer that I for one would have taken in about a quarter of a second...

In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

RMF1254

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:12 pm    Author: RMF1254    Post subject: Re: 07/01 Julie

KP wrote:
One player a couple of years ago had a game that looked incredibly strong - his five-box was in some respects better than Sobia's - end with a 50p win. Though it wasn't clear on camera, a contestant who had just entered the hotel at that time (statman Dan) reported later on the forum that he took it horrendously backstage.

I'm guessing that was Tony from 16 January 2009 - whose 5-box offer was £40k.

Not sure if I should be asking such a question, but... how horrendously did he take it? As in, what were his actions?

KP

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:23 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 07/01 Julie

Yup, that's the one. Can't remember to be honest, but Dan posted somewhere. Oh, there.

(For what it's worth, I'd have taken the two-box bailout, but not the five-box offer, in Tony's game.)

Simon F

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:02 am    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 07/01 Julie

Although not a big money game, a very entertaining one and it shows that they seem to have got the editing right for the extended shows for those ones that the gameplay doesn't naturally provide the extra material (although it is now seeming more obvious in game with more early banter between Noel and the wings that an 8-box or 5-box deal is more likely).

Julie - although you talked about gut feelings about having a blue on the table for reasons that aren't statistical (the run of reds you'd had and the ones on the table), the comment you made at 8-box (about picking 2 blues and 1 red) was actually the most likely outcome statistically (it would happen just slightly over half the games in the long run). The same applies at 5-box (60% chance of picking 1 red and 2 blues) so you're logic was sound (plus the fact that it was quickly picked up that you were never going to get a big 5-box offer) and I agree £22k was probably over what you would have got in live play.

In the end, dealing for half the maximum offer makes it a draw and I think that's a fair summation of a very interesting game.

It's a good job that Noel actually some balanced advice at 8-box because it just about negated his "gamble gamble" speech at the beginning. It's all very well going on about nearly £500k being brought to the table but when you fail to mention the £35k/blue and £100k/blue finishes, it's misleading.

KP

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:51 am    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 07/01 Julie

And funnily enough, once the balanced advice came... so did a Deal...

Jules101

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:24 pm    Author: Jules101    Post subject: Re: 07/01 Julie

The funny thing was the only persons advice i did take was not shown ;)

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:12 am    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject: Re: 07/01 Julie

Did anyone notice the error in yesterday's game? Skip to 11:20 to see it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa4aW0Capb8&list=SL

Admittedly I didn't actually spot it, but it was commentated on the Banker's Twitter feed.

norwichdonder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:49 am    Author: norwichdonder    Post subject: Re: 07/01 Julie

mike wrote:
Did anyone notice the error in yesterday's game? Skip to 11:20 to see it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa4aW0Capb8&list=SL

Admittedly I didn't actually spot it, but it was commentated on the Banker's Twitter feed.

:blueponder :blueponder what was the error? Oh - superimposing the graphics?

killersbee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:17 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 07/01 Julie

Now that's a new one on me...

Simon F

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:10 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 07/01 Julie

norwichdonder wrote:
mike wrote:

The £100k disappeared from the overlay graphic about 5 seconds before Julie picked the box it was in.

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:41 am    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 07/01 Julie

Pretty tough call at 8 box, but one of those games that could just as easily have gone the other way.

Yes, with hindsight Julie should have gone one more round - while £22k might be stretching it a bit i don't there's any doubt that the 5 box offer would have been the peak of the game - but she's content with the money she won and she made a decent profit on her box, That's good enough for me.

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:19 pm    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject: Re: 07/01 Julie

Simon F wrote:
norwichdonder wrote:
mike wrote:

The £100k disappeared from the overlay graphic about 5 seconds before Julie picked the box it was in.

Yeah that was the error, but apparently that error has lead people to believe the show is fixed. Well at least that's what The Sun are reporting. :roll:

The Sun wrote:
DEAL or No Deal fans claimed "fix" after a cash sum vanished off the screen BEFORE the box it referred to was opened.

The Channel 4 cult hit features contestants nervously opening a series of boxes with money inside.

Nobody except an "independent adjudicator" is meant to know what is in the sealed boxes.

Yet on last Friday's programme, a contestant asked Noel Edmonds for a particular box to be opened.

At the same time, the on-screen £100,000 graphic was removed.

Then just as the box was opened, the graphic came back on the screen.

The box DID contain the £100,000 prize - so the graphic was removed for a second and final time.

One eagle-eyed viewer who spotted the blunder told TV Biz: "The whole point of the show is that no one knows what is in the boxes.

"But by the look of this, it seems that the production team knows exactly what is in them before they are opened. Someone gave the game away by being a bit too quick off the mark with the graphics."

Last night Deal or No Deal producers blamed a "post-production error".

They said the graphics team was responsible for the slip-up, which was overlaid after the show had been filmed.

A spokeswoman said: "The on-screen money amounts are added after the show has been filmed as part of the post-production process.

"Occasionally, an error is made in the overlay and this is quite simply down to human error."

She added that only the independent adjudicator knew what was in the boxes during the game.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sh ... fixed.html

KP

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:59 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 07/01 Julie

Did it disappear from the in-studio board? If it did, they're onto something, but I'm sure it didn't, and that means that frankly, this isn't even the most worrying production decision that happened this week. Frankly, the fact that the first seven episodes to be edited knowingly to over an hour have seen five Power 5 boxes (two of them the QM) on the table, and the accompanying statements from Noel (especially in David's game, ironically one of the exceptions) is probably a better starting point for a conspiracy than a post-production slip.

[ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]