Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:35 am Last visit was: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:35 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

travis P

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:12 pm    Author: travis P    Post subject: Re: 05/01 Sobia

Warnings: 0
killersbee wrote:
£70,000?!

That was a terrible offer, it should've been around £90,000 at least!!!

Don't forget The Banker does have a job to do, he isn't there to offer £20,000 more if he is sure someone will deal for less.

killersbee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:13 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 05/01 Sobia

And for that reason, I would've turned it down in disgust and show the contestants what bravery is...and then swap...again

travis P

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:13 pm    Author: travis P    Post subject: Re: 05/01 Sobia

h2005 wrote:
Has there ever been as many as 4 consecutive shows, in which a Power 5 came to the table?!

Not sure but this is reminding me how the French version was going along in 2005. Constant big money was coming to the table.

mr_northern_guy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:15 pm    Author: mr_northern_guy    Post subject: Re: 05/01 Sobia

Looks like we're on the road to 17th May...

That £70K offer was if not the poorest, one of the poorest offers EVER.

My mum's the most cautious Carol you'll ever meet, and even she would've gone for it!

Anyway, roll on May...and quickly, please.

travis P

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:15 pm    Author: travis P    Post subject: Re: 05/01 Sobia

If anybody is wondering with the box selection and the power 5 coming to the table this week. As of February 2011 (October recordings), the selection is the same as always. The contestants are choose a ping pong ball at random and the person with the bag goes either from West Wing to East Wing or vice versa.

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:17 pm    Author: Mark    Post subject: Re: 05/01 Sobia

Yes, it was shown them doing it once on the show during one of the specials.

travis P

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:27 pm    Author: travis P    Post subject: Re: 05/01 Sobia

I did have a theory months ago that the show could be selecting contestants who aren't massive risk takers to save the show money. Today's show sort of cemented that theory.

I'm starting to wonder if those on the wings are like that. Julie's comment from 30th December spring to mind.

viewtopic.php?p=687682#p687682

Don't know what Sobia's annual salary is but risking £55K could be 3-4 years worth.

Jules101

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:33 pm    Author: Jules101    Post subject: Re: 05/01 Sobia

Yes we did that before each game and the bag was started at each end at different times so not one person was always left with the last ball.

I don't know how much more of a sure thing you could get in this game ! :shock: :roll: :roll:
There was NO WAY i was going to have the £250k 3 games in a row (i know it could happen but what are the odds ?).
While Sobia was over the moon with £70k and who wouldn't be if someone gave it to you today but she should have just had that extra bit of courage.
Still she is a lovely genuine lady who is very happy :-D

DanS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:37 pm    Author: DanS    Post subject: Re: 05/01 Sobia

Jules101 wrote:
There was NO WAY i was going to have the £250k 3 games in a row (i know it could happen but what are the odds ?).

Am I wrong in thinking this happened to Suzi during June/July 2008? Or was that just the twice she had it?

Jules101

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:39 pm    Author: Jules101    Post subject: Re: 05/01 Sobia

You may be right but i just knew that day i didn't have it.

travis P

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:39 pm    Author: travis P    Post subject: Re: 05/01 Sobia

Jules101 wrote:
Yes we did that before each game and the bag was started at each end at different times so not one person was always left with the last ball.

I don't know how much more of a sure thing you could get in this game ! :shock: :roll: :roll:

I had to mention about the box selection as there are still some conspiracy theorists out there. As for £250K three games in a row. It's happened before, I think someone had it four times in a row at one stage.

norwichdonder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:46 pm    Author: norwichdonder    Post subject: Re: 05/01 Sobia

Jules101 wrote:

Ah! I just realised who you are now :lol: :lol: It must have been extraordinary to have it two days in a row, but three would have been pushing it. Even the banker believed she had it, or at least spun it that way. 15k would have been a big enough fallback for most people to No Deal, given your 2 in a row for the 250k. It was a dead cert as it could be given a 50/50 chance :ponder: I thought she'd talked herself into taking the gamble and I think the shock was evident all round when she said DEAL! Was that the feeling in the studio?

cfd

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:46 pm    Author: cfd    Post subject: Re: 05/01 Sobia

Jules101 wrote:
You may be right but i just knew that day i didn't have it.

The chances of you having the box at the start of the game were 1/22.

The chance of you having the box at the end of the game was 1/2.

The chance of there being a "power 5" amount on the table at the end of the game was 1/2.

The fact you had the box a couple of times and we've had a string of games when big money has been coming to the table means NOTHING and should not be factored into deals.

£70,000 is a lot of money. I'm never going to criticise anyone for taking that. £15,000 is a bit too. £70,000 though for many is verging on life changing territory.

cfd

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:47 pm    Author: cfd    Post subject: Re: 05/01 Sobia

P.S. perfectly pitched offer from the banker. I wouldn't offer a penny more than he did. It's easy to say on here you'd no deal but I think given the current financial climate £70,000 is quite a bit of money to turn down.

Jules101

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:50 pm    Author: Jules101    Post subject: Re: 05/01 Sobia

Having just re read my post i stick with it for Andys game.
I did not however give advice to everyone to deal more often than not i just played devils advocate and gave
the opposite advice to what had been given. What had been shown is how the editors want you to be viewed.
I believe most of the players all say that are going to go on BUT once the money becomes real and it is your turn in the chair it is often a different story.
I believe the show choses a wide variety or people, some safe some risk takers but when i was interviewed they did not seem to want those who would take the safe option, thats just my opinion of course.

Jules101

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:52 pm    Author: Jules101    Post subject: Re: 05/01 Sobia

norwichdonder wrote:
Jules101 wrote:

Ah! I just realised who you are now :lol: :lol: ;) :D

I thought she'd talked herself into taking the gamble and I think the shock was evident all round when she said DEAL! Was that the feeling in the studio?

Yep i think we all expected her to no deal.

Jules101

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:56 pm    Author: Jules101    Post subject: Re: 05/01 Sobia

cfd wrote:

£70,000 is a lot of money. I'm never going to criticise anyone for taking that. £15,000 is a bit too. £70,000 though for many is verging on life changing territory.

I would never criticise anyone for dealing at any amount, after all it is thier lives they are changing/helping.

Sobia is a beautiful classy lady and speaking to her 3 days ago still has a wise head on her shoulders.She did very well in her game, all i am saying is had i had that board with the situation od the £250k box in earlier games I would have went on. I havn't been able to say that on any other games.

killersbee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:01 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 05/01 Sobia

Jules101 wrote:
I believe most of the players all say that are going to go on BUT once the money becomes real and it is your turn in the chair it is often a different story.

Perhaps, but when (and if I do) you see me on the show, I won't be any different than I am on here, even if I plan to make my game entertaining ;)

James1978

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:12 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 05/01 Sobia

Well I can still understand why that offer would be dealt, £70k is a proper life-changing massive win, and £15k is just, well, averaging. I can see why some people would see the £70k as closer in value to £250k than £15k. And it's not the worst deal of that kind either - Eddie did the same deal but had £20k as back-up!

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

RMF1254

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:14 pm    Author: RMF1254    Post subject: Re: 05/01 Sobia

travis P wrote:
As for £250K three games in a row. It's happened before, I think someone had it four times in a row at one stage.

That was Michaela in September 2006.

She too dealt in a situation where the vast majority of people wouldn't - £24k at 11-box with the top four still there.

Unlike with Sobia, though, that was down to influence from a relative (her mother to be precise).

cfd wrote:
£70,000 though for many is verging on life changing territory.

Excellent point.

And, as I said, she'd have been gutted if she'd gambled and lost £55k.

[ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]